• mmeladirectress
    if OK, would like to start a new series of threads (not necessarily mine of course) to pulse the community on various questions.
    of necessity, I will start the first one...

recently someone listed Tallis' "If Ye Love Me" as a least favorite anthem. In listening to audio of Colloquia gone by, I heard this piece for the first time. so the poll du jour is: do you like Tallis' "If Ye Love Me" ? If so, why? if not, why not?

many thanks
  • MatthewRoth
    I do. It’s beautiful. But, I think it is not so favored because it and the Palestrina setting of “Sicut Cervus” are used so frequently.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Liam
    Well, I like it, but I can understand why some may not.

It's a sacred choral chestnut (or, if you've tired of it, warhorse) in the English speaking world: an example of early Anglican style, in miniature - lots of homophony, with some imitation. It's a low-barrier to entry in terms of language for young choristers, but it comes at the price of some precious special pronunciations ("even" and "Spirit") and a tenor entry that is a test of delicacy-with-breath-support. It offers the opportunity for skill-building at what seems to be a basic level.

I particularly like it because of the text. I don't recall a setting of the Vulgate of the same text "Si diligitis me, mandata mea" et cet. that is as widely known.
  • I like it for its beauty but it doesn't seem to follow rules of traditional polyphony/counterpoint stylewise (I really don't understand counterpoint!). It works very well as a Pentecost anthem, or even more as a Holy Thursday anthem.
  • I like the piece, but I wouldn't use it at Mass -- since I'm in an EF context. Rather, I use it to teach a fundamental difference between Catholic and Protestant music. Tallis is clearly straining at the edge of his Catholic training to do what his Protestant overlords want him to do: one note-per-syllable and one syllable per note.

I can completely understand that in some places it is overdone and thus the palate is spoiled.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I like it with the Latin text, Bone Pastor.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This will be "anathema sit" time, I fear.
    Beyond their didactic value, "If ye..." and the Pierluigi standard also share a sort of je ne sais quoi "romantic" quality that might even be dubbed text painting. One could admire the architecture all you want, but there's red blood flowing through the settings. That's why "A new commandment" and the pars secunda are likely not performed with their companion mates very often.
  • Charles,

I'm very pleased (just this once) to cite an anecdote: at my urging, our choir learned the pars secunda, Sitivit Anima Mea.
  • mmeladirectress
    As I said, when I heard it sung at that earlier Colloquium, it brought tears to my eyes
    I had that reaction only once before.
    One day, years ago, I tuned in the public radio station
    and after a brief silence the St Olaf choir began the 'Sicut Cervus' (which at that time I had never heard before, either). I was riveted - it was incredibly beautiful.

We have the EF, and very very rarely a low Mass, but should we have one, we can sing something in English; but right now, the best one we know is "O God of Loveliness" and I was hoping for something more. I thought maybe 'If Ye Love Me" might be a good choice. Many thanks for all your replies!!
  • I'm not a Mozart detractor. I've loved his music all my life and could hum, sing, whistle, and think all the orchestral parts to many of his symphonies throughout my adolescent years. I've played his sonatas and concertos, and never tire of hearing his music. It is miraculous. But of his Ave verum I have nothing beyond an appreciation of its high craftsmanship, its beguiling simplicity which hides genius - the same may be said of Eine kleine nachtmusik. This appreciation does not translate into 'like'. It is a decent example of 'classical schmaltz' which, though it lacks any liturgical cachet, is innately better than other kinds of schmaltz. Why would anyone sing this at mass when the likes of Byrd were available? Charles is quite right: Mozart's would-be-church-music is too infected with stage and concert hall idioms to be taken seriously as liturgical music. <> While I continue to reap joy from playing his piano music, I have never learnt, nor do I like, his organ works. My first youthful impression of them was that they were mechanical clockwork pieces. I later found out that that was indeed their original conception.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Vis-a-vis the high tenor entry being a matter of delicacy in the Tallis "If ye love me", I should point out that the scoring (in C major) if for two countertenors (two male altos), tenor, and bass. To sing this piece in that key with TTBB forces (as opposed to AATB, or perhaps ATBarB) might indeed cause strain for the first tenor part. When I sang this piece (often) with Zephyrus, we had no problem with the delicacy required, for we had very savvy male altos/countertenors and tenors.

It is a beautiful piece, all the more lovely because of its simplicity and directness. And I have never tired of it.

Attached is a copy of Edward Tambling's excellent edition.

• ViolaViola
    I love this motet. To avoid the ultra-high tenor entry (our tenors tend to be on the strident side) we are trying it a tone down (in Eflat) as an experiment. Not sure it works.
    NB also that Sir R R Terry set the words of Bone Pastor to the same tune. I think the term is 'contrafactum'.
  • Liam
    Viola

Are your "tenors" really baritones?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Transposed editions of the Tallis (whose original is in C, no accidentals in the key signature) have been made in F, E, E-flat, D, and even a very high edition in G (perhaps for a women's or mostly women's choir). Attempts to make the work "fit" a particular choir or group other than the originally intended group might well be fraught with difficulties or compromises or imperfect solutions. That's life.
  • mmeladirectress
    thanks JulieColl and Viola!

Having the alternate Latin words ("Bone Pastor") is great for us, as we would have more opportunity to use it. As an English-only, we would spend time & effort to learn it and then who knows when we'd be able to sing it.

I am in that boat already with Sweelinck's "Chantez a Dieu", to which there are no alternate Latin words. Where is R.R. Terry when you need him?!

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    As a work that can succeed with mixed SATB IYLMKMC stands out from other Tallis anthems, even if it does offer challenges to soprano & tenor (we sing it in F# usually); Verily I say unto you verges on a bridge to far.

I'm not familiar enough with sources to know if the low clef C major transposition can be really called 'original'.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm not familiar enough with sources to know if the low clef C major transposition can be really called 'original'.

The following sources are as original as possible and present "If ye love me" in C, as in Tambling's edition. Compare with Raf Ornes edition at CPDL which cites the first of these sources:

I) 'Wanley' manuscripts, MSS 420-22 (c. 1548-1552), Bodleian Lib., Oxford,

II) ''Certaine notes set forth infoure and three parts to be song at the morning Communion, and euening praier ... " (Day's Service Book of 1560/1565), the latter being the first publication of "If ye love me".
  • ghmus7
    Does anyone know of an arrangement for TTBB?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You're very welcome, Mme! When we sing it, one of my friends in the congregation always starts crying. At first I wondered if we really sounded that bad, but she insisted it's because the music is so moving, and it really is, esp. that last phrase: Tu nos bona fac videre, in terra viventium.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Does anyone know of an arrangement for TTBB?

The Tambling edition posted above will work for TTBB, but be aware that the 1st tenor has some high Gs, and the 2nd tenor has high Fs as well as one high G.
  • JL
    It's not Tallis's best, and it's bad news in the hands of choristers who can't ignore barlines, but it's far from the worst. I once had to sing it at a wedding, though, and it seemed inappropriate in context.
  • JahazaJahaza
    I like "If ye love me" a lot, but I find its frequent programming at weddings, rather pastorally inappropriate. Just because it has the word "love" in it doesn't make it fitting.
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood CCooze JL
  • mmeladirectress
    sometimes less-than-ideal choices for weddings might be played as organ solos, which is a tactful way out of having to sing them at a wedding. I don't know if this particular one could successfully adapt to that, though.
  • It would never have entered my mind that 'If Ye...' would or could ever be heard at a wedding. Do people read beyond the word, 'love'? Or do they (probably the brides) envision that their unfortunate spouses will be obedient to their every 'command' and whim to show their 'love'? I would never consent to doing this at a wedding. It isn't a wedding text and has nothing to do with weddings - unless one has the cruel perversity somehow to connect love to spousal obedience.
    Thanked by 2JL CHGiffen
  • mmeladirectress
    departing from my own thread

brides may request music because they like the melody. We once had a request for O Domine Deus, reputedly written by Mary Queen of Scots while in prison. Languishing, sighing, sinking to my knees I implore You to liberate me.
    Not the best portent for a wedding I could think of. (did we sing it? no)

at least as an organ piece the Tallis piece could be claimed to be "O Bone Pastor", a Eucharistic motet which would be appropriate for just about any Mass, including a wedding.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Liam
    It would never have occurred to me that a couple, in asking for this text to be sung at their wedding Mass, were suggesting/implying that it referred to a command of one spouse to another. Rather, it is part of the Final Discourse, and a further explication of the Mandatum. In that sense, it is far from a perverse connection to matrimony. Matrimony requires discipleship. The abiding of the Holy Spirit is also part of Matrimony. Matrimony is not merely between the spouses - it is also centered on God. So, it is indeed connected - in substance. Somewhat elliptically, but neither perversely nor remotely. Not my first choice for a wedding anthem, but it's not a bad choice at all.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • ViolaViola
    Hello Liam
    We currently have two tenors (a good one just graduated, so has left). One of the remainder is really a baritone, the other is just strident. He was the sole tenor for several years I believe, so isn't used to blending.
    One who was studying abroad for a year is coming back in September and I'm told (I'm fairly new) that he is v good so I am hopeful.
    Mmeladirectress: re unsuitable wedding music I was once asked to play Pie Jesu (the Rutter version) and on another occasion two soloists sang it. I suppose they think anything in Latin is fair game regardless of what it might mean. Also, I always snigger to myself when the couple choose the hymn 'Dear Lord and Father of mankind forgive our foolish ways...
    Sorry, this is off-thread. Wedding music is a whole new topic, as are tenors.
    Back to thread, or sort of: I wonder if the Bone Pastor, Tallis version, could be sung as the shortened sequence for Corpus Christi????
  • Liam
    Viola

Ah, you don't have tenor section any more, it seems, at least for repertoire that requires genuine tenors. Amateur tenor choristers often are impressed into solo or duo duty, it seems, and often overcompensate for lack of balance with other sections, and too many choir directors subconsciously conspire with that dynamic because they crave a broader repertoire in spite of a lack of proper resources. My impression is that many volunteer church choirs are really SABarB (or, more accurately, Mezz-A-Bar-B) rather than SATB properly speaking.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • An interesting, even profound, interpretation, Liam, even if, as you say, elliptical.
  • mmeladirectress
    JulieColl >> When we sing it, one of my friends in the congregation always starts crying.

now and then people come up to me after Mass and say, when you sang _____ today, it made me cry. I say yes, we can have that effect on people, I'm sorry.
    Sometimes it's Father.
    And when it is, you're likely to hear something from the pulpit about more singers being needed for the Choir.
    ;-)
  • ViolaViola
    Liam, you are quite right; Mezz-A-Bar-B is an accurate description of our volunteer choir. How to deal with it, that is the question?
    So far, I address the problem by transposing things down a tone or two as needed, no complaints from basses or altos as yet, but it does make for a rather muddy sound. Any other suggestions gratefully received.
  • Liam
    Well, the practice of many choir directors is often to ignore reality of that type, and I think that's wrong and is part of what contributes to subpar sound of too many choirs. (In particular, there's a pernicious assumption that baritones are merely lazy tenors.) I think the better course of action is to program in light of the reality and, ideally, to recruit genuine top voices (there's a bell curve distribution of voice ranges, and mezzos are the dominant female voice, and baritones the dominant male voice - true SATB voices are actually outliers on the distribution curves for women and men, respectively). While it's true the repertoire (plus vocal training) can be used as a tool to expand, shall we say, the reality by two or three semitones, in practice the timeline of the opportunity is glacial and has physical limits.