Tiny Chant Scholars Working on Normal Sized Manuscripts
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

Dr. Putian's research assistant, Tina Taiknee.
    736 x 643 - 79K
  • Wow that is awesome! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Liam
    Imagine those being held by a subdeacon....that would have been a hazing ritual.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Poor Dr. Lillie Putian. Things must be much easier for her in Lilliput.
    Thanked by 1matildac
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

Here is a rare image from the Nearsighted Norbertines, a congregation of the Petite Premonstratensians.
    640 x 409 - 65K
  • Liam
    They are recovering after auditioning for Bigger! Bolder! Better! remake of Monty Python and The Holy Grail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Talk about a Neum with a View.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I've seen a guest schola member beat his chest when he made a mistake, but beating one's head with a plank might be a bit noisy and awkward. : )
    You're supposed to beat your chest and, if you're an Anglican chorister, raise your hand if you're the offending party. So your director knows. And can keep tabs on you.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • Chest beating.
    Head planking.
    Hand raising.
    And good monks genuflect.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    My goodness. I had no idea.
  • francis
    How many tiny chant scholars does it take to lift a normal sized chant book?

At times there probably weren't enough to lift the book and that is why the church at that time had so many castrati.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How many tiny chant scholars does it take to lift a normal sized chant book?
    Perhaps a score, but a quire might have been too much.
  • stulte
    Just the thought of lifting those books makes me hungry...for burritos! ;)
    Burrtios are a quired taste.
  • LenaH
    "....if you're an Anglican chorister, raise your hand if you're the offending party. So your director knows. And can keep tabs on you."

My schola is not Anglican, however I do required those that make a mistake to hold up their hands. Many times though, I hear errors, yet I see no hands. Either the embarrassment is too great or they don't realize their errors.

Love the pictures, Adam!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Holding up ones hand when one makes a mistake is an old tradition found in many choirs and choruses (including university choruses).
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Liam
    It's twee.
  • chonakchonak
    It tells the director "I'm aware of this mistake and will watch for the passage next time".
    It's twee.

Like that's ever stopped me. I wear twee in the past tense on a regular basis.
  • BenBen
    Holding up ones hand when one makes a mistake is an old tradition found in many choirs and choruses (including university choruses).

I've also seen it done in scholas where they'll do a discreet breast beating, as at the confiteor.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood LenaH
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Their Itty Bitty Book light:

Thanked by 2Ben Adam Wood
  • LenaH
    I might try that, Ben. I may get better results in members acknowledging their errors!
  • BenBen
    I might try that, Ben. I may get better results in members acknowledging their errors!

It makes rehearsal much more efficient. If, as a director, you note that a singer has noted their own mistake, there's usually not a need to correct them later, and instead just keep going through.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab LenaH
  • JL
    I have been known to raise a hand in the pew when I crash and burn on a hymn. The folks around me might think it's a little weird, but they're probably freaked out enough by somebody singing within hailing distance.
    Thanked by 2Ben Patricia Cecilia
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

I've also seen it done in scholas where they'll do a breast beating, as at the confiteor.

I understand that is an Benedictine tradition, and I remember reading (somewhere...) that it has been revived at Clear Creek.
  • BGP
    The Benedictine tradition, as I understand, is actually genuflecting before the Abbot when you make a mistake....
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    A great way to encourage this type of self flagellation is for the director to always acknowledge his own mistakes. I think you will find the choir following your lead.
  • WGS
    I am accustomed to the breast beating (tapping) approach for the gentlemen whereas the boys raise a hand.

However, the boys become habituated to this which might be a distraction when the choir is singing in the choir or singing in concert.

Or would you prefer the monastic situation, where the penitent offender kneels in the midst of the choir and then awaits the abbot's releasing knock?
    I imagine it'd be hard to sing in the venia position.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just ran across this image of Fr. Thomas Thumb, O.S.B. (Order of Short Benedictines)

As a chant lover, I'm fascinated by the ornate, but otherwise perfectly normal sized music book. As an aficionado of historical clerical dress, I'm fascinated by the delicate work that must have gone into making such a small habit and cloak.

732 x 960 - 80K
  • At first I thought this was an April Fool's joke, but then I realized the first post was in June.
  • Kathy
    Adam doesn't need a special day.
  • WGS
    I have a feeling that some of the perusers of this forum might not be familiar with the long and illustrious career (as far back as the 16th century) of Tom Thumb before he entered into the Order of Short Benedictines. Look it up!
  • These are great!

I recall a monastery where if your error was yours alone you struck your chest, but if it caused any of your brothers to also make an error you genuflected. I might have missed further details.
  • ghmus7
    Just brilliant!
    ....perfect for the little offices...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • Those nearsighted Norbertines are using modern chant books, not antique ones. Which means somewhere somebody is publishing choir-size large chant books. Any know who or where??
  • ghmus7
    Just a comment....you know Gregorian chant really grew in popularity under Pepin the Short