Rolling of r's and questions about Pew Missals not rolling pew Missals.
  • JesJes
    Hi colloquium mates,

I've noticed something different about your Latin and it seems you guys don't roll your r's and I was wondering if that was something you all chose to do or if rolling r's was wrong? I'm just curious cos we roll them in Aus but only when doing ecclesiastic or specific styles of Latin.
    I'm really enjoying the colloquium thanks for your hospitality, you're all really nice.
    I'm going to have a go at some free organum arrangements if anybody is interested.
    Curious to know who has used the pew missal (the one that is sampled) and is this successful in Novus Ordo circles?

For those that wish to troll with on the side Aussie things.
    I have a jar of Vegemite, anybody wishing to try should PM me and we'll organise to get some toast. (I will probably need a wake up call if for breakfast)
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I just use a dental flip rather than a roll - almost like a soft "d" but not a "t". It's sort of like a trill - just how many iterations of two grace notes make a trill, and at what speed?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    @stevecollins definitely more than zero. I can't physically roll either so I do a d cr sort of sound. It's customary in Aus to roll all r's when singing Latin singing a normal r is very rare.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Yes. A normal "r" is like fingernails on a chalk board!
  • Rolled 'r's? How refreshing! Those who regard Liber Usualis Latin as carved in stone and delivered to us by an angel (maybe even a dominion!) would, perhaps, raise an eyebrow (maybe two!), but Cicero would smile. Interesting that you do that down there. Actually, anything that gets the arched tongue away from the roof of the mouth when pronouncing 'r' is progress.

• JesJes
    I think it is because normal r sounds a bit like w in Aus.
  • JesJes
    Haha after all that during evening prayer one of the cantors rolled all of his r's so it must be a thing acknowledged here too.
  • We used to make a distinction (when I was a wee bearn) between rolled and flipped r's. Nobody -- at least, outside of a comedy routine -- sang the American R.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • chonakchonak
    jesearle, are you referring to the Ignatius Pew Missal? Several forum members use it at their parishes. Offhand, I can think of olbash and bkenney. If you use the search function on the forum for "Ignatius Pew Missal", you can find previous discussions, going back to its debut a couple of years ago. If your parish priest is really committed to pursuing a "reform of the reform" approach in the English liturgy, it's very appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • I use it, I'll try to chat with you today about it.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hoping Chris was a wee bairn and not bearn, which would be what? ... a wee bear cub?
    Thanked by 3melofluent Jes CharlesW
  • Charles,

Hmmm. It seems my spelling self has temporarily lost its bear-ings? On the other hand, I am sometimes quite a curmudgeonly bear!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jes
  • JesJes

Missal Relevant

@Chonak thanks yeah it's not for me, I'm tridentine where I am so definitely don't need this but I do know that there are some people out there that will and I reckon their priests will perk up when they see this but I don't want to be responsible for Aussie Catholic War III haha.
    @MaestroMark32 Thanks that would be great.
    </ hr>

Jokes Aside

@ChrisGartonZavesky and @CHGiffen I can't bear it...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    It seems fore-bear-ance would be a virtue.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    image image image image
    Four bear ants.
  • JesJes
    Ha. Ha. Ha.
    I grizzle at these puns.
    https://youtu.be/02gJYH3xS2w