"The Dumb Question for the Day"
  • mmeladirectress
    the Forum has topical categories: "general discussion" is one of them; I also notice "sacred polyphony" and "hymnody". I suppose this will be TDQFTD, but ... could someone kindly draw the line between the two?
    can it be that the entire "Pange Lingua" is hymnody, and Palestrina's "Tantum Ergo" is sacred polyphony? Apologies but I have never used the term 'hymnody' before.
  • JonLaird
    It's not a dumb question, but this might be a dumb answer!

In the most general sense, people use the word "hymn" here to refer to just about any congregational song excluding sung dialogues and the ordinary of the Mass (Kyrie, Glori, Sanctus, Agnus Dei).

I hasten to add that this definition suffers from being hopelesly un-Socratic. For a more thorough and enlightened discussion of the definition of "hymn," search the forum for "M. Jackson Osborn" hymn song.

Polyphony, as you suggest, is polyhonic music generally reserved for the choir. The name "polyhony" suggests that the melodic nature of each vocal line is more significant than the perceived harmonies, but even primarily homophonic or other non-polyphonic (e.g. modern chord-based) music is (sadly) at times lumped in with polyphony, as though that word were interchangeable with the more general term "choral music."
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    For a more thorough and enlightened discussion of the definition of "hymn," search the forum for "M. Jackson Osborn" hymn song.

You'll have to sort through some posts of dots with yellow boxes. Don't let that deter you.

• Ah! This is not so complicated as all that.

Hymn - A hymn (strictly speaking) is a sacred verse or prose text which extols the divine or expounds theological truths. You have named two examples: Pange lingua and Tantum ergo. Both of these, and many, many more, are hymns, and, commonly, are sung to their Gregorian melodies. There is a vast repertory of 'Gregorian' hymnody, and each of these hymns is normally sung to a Gregorian, or chant, tune. We have a repertory of hymns that have their origins in any and all centuries from the IVth to the present in a variety of languages.

The older Latin hymns are distinguished from latter day hymnody which is normally sung to that species of harmonised tunes which developed in the last four or five hundred years. Actually, both these and the older Latin hymns can be sung interchangeably to chant tunes, or to more modern harmonised tunes when the metre (number of syllables per line) matches that of the tune.

Polyphony - Now then: we just settled what a hymn is and how it is normally sung. So, when the august Palestrina (or anyone else) takes one of these hymns and sets the text to an elaborate multilinear choral structure (SATB, or more, or less) it remains a hymn, but is now not plainchant or a mono-phonic' 'hymn tune', but poly-phony - music with 'many sounds'. Thusly, the hymn is still a hymn, but its musical 'treatment' has become more elaborate than a mere mono-phonic tune.

Very often a composer, when writing his or her polyphony will use the original chant tune as his 'subject' matter. In this way an historical, ancient, sacred tune is literally 'enshrined' in a gorgeous musical structure, which may be elaborate polyphony, or elaborate homophony, or a combination of both.

This is a very basic, short, answer to your question. Just keep in mind that a 'hymn' is a text, not music. This 'hymn' may be treated (or mistreated) in a myriad of musical ways.

Oh. And a hymn is not a hymn because of who sings it. It may be sung by choir, people, one person, or all. Many 'anthems' are actually hymns that have been given royal musical treatment.

• eft94530eft94530
    I was happy to read the MJO post.
    Everything seemed clear.
    Then came two dots.
    And a yellow box with zero dots.
    More confusing
    than the secret conversations we all share in the Portable Cone Of Silence.
    Sigh.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • SalieriSalieri
    Also, there are polyphonic settings of verses of Chant hymns intended to be sung alternatim with the original chant itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9kezzlwDY
  • I want to take this opportunity yet again to stress that a hymn is a hymn due to its subject matter, not because it is a 'religious' song sung at mass or anywhere else. We periodically have some confusion about this, both on our forum and in the Church at large. So, at the outset it needs to be asserted unequivocably that a hymn is a literary text, prose or verse, whose objective thematic focus is the deity or theological truth. While the 'hymn' is not to be confused with its associated music, it is a given that a hymn (like a psalm!) is a thing which is to be sung.

St Augustine defined a 'hymn' as (loosely remembered) 'God, words, and music'. This is a very loose working definition. There are many religious songs, however, that we refer to as hymns just because they are sung in Church and, sometimes astonishingly, are found in hymnals, but are not hymns at all. Literarily, they don't come near fitting the definition of hymnus.

A hymn, then, is a text which extols the divinity, or, as often, is in praise of some theological truth. A song, even though sloppily called a 'hymn', that does not have this content and tenor is not a hymn, even though it may or may not be good literature and poetry.

There are other religious songs that are devotional, may be very sound doctrinally, but are more subjective (referencing personal feelings) than objective (purely in praise of the objective diety) in nature.

Examples of the former would be Adoro te, devote, or Schmucke dich, both of which are spiritual jewels characterised by rich mystical imagery and biblical reference.

Examples of the latter might be Te Deum or 'The God of Abraham Praise', both of which are focused strictly on the universal lordship of God, and have some theological substance.

There are some which fit in somewhere in the middle. 'Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven' might be one of these. It is definitely intellectually oriented toward God, but has, as well, a strong subjective undertone when it exhorts 'praise with me the God of grace'.

Some of our favourites are definitely not hymns but are religious songs and carols which sing about the divine but issue from a very subjective grounding. 'O Come, all Ye Faithful', would example these, as would such fine sacred songs as Nun danket all Gott. So would that priceless gem by Bianco da Siena, Discendi, amor santo, set with such excruciating sensitivity by RVW to his own tune, Down Ampney.

There are others which aren't even 'on the fence'. Negro Spirituals mostly are in this category. They have a unique spiritual angst, doubtless reflecting the bitter and cruel crucible of misfortune that engendered them. Also, they betray a deep love of God and his word, an indeflectible faith, but are, almost all, extremely subjective and have little or no theological content - other than a fervent belief in Jesus and his resurrection. But even this is expressed almost wholly in subjective, not objective thought. Hope and trust may, indeed, be the dominant themes, but there is very little of theological development. Many are those whose Good Friday is not complete without singing 'Were You There'. This is a powerful song, extremely moving in its imagery, but it isn't actually a hymn, and has no place at liturgy. Of course, Negro Spirituals have their cousins elsewhere, particularly in evangelical 'hymnody', which is typified by extremely subjective and personal points of view. These lack almost fully any but the most shallow theological content. Several examples might be the well known old favourites 'Just as I am, without one plea', or 'Take my life and let it be'. These are typical of a class of religious songs which express personal love, dependence, faith, and hope, etc., but do not, actually worship God in any objective sense and have but the most tepid theological content.

When I say, then, that a religious song is not a hymn, that is not, necessarily, a judgment that it is without spiritual value. Not at all! It is merely a recognition that, to make an analogy, a fugue follows certain imitative procedures, whilst a sonata follows different procedures. They are both music, but neither is the other.

A final category of religious songs, which I really do intend to excoriate, are those whose focus is almost entirely highly subjective, personal or community oriented in tone, and are inappropriate absolutely at liturgical proceedings. Sadly, there are great numbers of these songs in almost every Catholic hymnal currently being published, including all of those by our most prestigious publishers. I shant dignify any of them by even mentioning any titles, but assume (hope!) that our readers would be able to notice that 'this is all about us, ergo, it doesn't belong at mass'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I was almost with you, but Adeste fideles is too subjective to be a hymn and used in liturgy? Maybe it needs amending to "O come let all adore Him".
  • dad29
    Thanks, MJO, for a concise education! (Some would have used 20,000 words for the same--or less--content.)
  • Is it really 20.000 words?
    Or are you indulging in license poetic?
  • Actually, Richard, my hand was a little nervous when I put 'O Come, All Ye Faithful' in the 'on the fence' crowd. Ditto, 'Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven'. Anything on the fence is difficult to categorise. There are others that, perhaps, are more deserving of 'on the fence' labeling. 'O Come...', of course, addresses 'all ye faithful' and is an exhortation for them to come and adore. Otherwise, it is, indeed, not absent an objective element of worship. (In fact, my favourite few words of 'O Come,...' are 'God of God, Light of Light, lo! he comes...'.) The same may be said of 'Praise, My Soul...', and even Nun danket, which I placed on the fence. There are, to be sure, numerous examples which better deserve to be placed on the fence.

A good mirror for when deciding the liturgical merit of a hymn would be those hymns of the early centuries by such as Ambrose, Prudentius, John Damascene, and others. There is no equivocation in these. A second good mirror would be to study, earnestly study, the propers, the propers in general as well as for one's specific feast at hand. Good, well chosen hymnody for any day might well mirror the literary tone, the theological object of attention, and the thematic bent of the propers. Except when quoting a psalm, the propers are not at all, ever, subjective in content or focus. Hymnody (or songs) at liturgy would do well to imitate them. The hymns may be thematically aligned with the propers or with the lectionary, or both, but whatever course is followed, they should mirror the general thematic thrust of the propers. There is no better guide for well chosen hymnody than the propers.

A beautiful example of a prayer (there are so many!) might be 'Lord of All Hopefullness, Lord of All Joy'.', which is rich in mystical imagery, expresses solid trust, and adores the attributes of the All Holy. There are many, whose content is rather such a mixture of subjective and objective elements that they are difficult place in this camp or that.

As I just wrote 'Lord of All Hopefulness,...' Langlais' delirious Chant de joie entered my mind. A wonderful piece which I love to play, and will likely put on one of my recitals for next year.
  • Jackson,

license poetique, surely, to mimic the Law Salique