Colloquium Masterclass repertoire people usually play
  • JesJes
    Okay so I have had like 10 organ lessons ever and well *ahem* they weren't really formal. Basically it was someone talking me through the Percy Buck book. The rest I'm trying to pick up from concerts and the like. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing most of the time except that people enjoy my interpretations and I got accepted into baroque ensembles at uni as an organist so I got some tips from conductors in my time.

I am hoping to play it safe and play something I can actually play that doesn't involve too many pedals just incase I'm faced with a curved board and doesn't involve too many registration changes.

At first I was thinking it would be good to play any of the credo's from my list to properly learn how to accompany chant but I'm thinking I might play something early and ask for help on ornamentation so I can make it nicer than the standard trills I always use.

So what do people normally play? I don't want to come in and waste someone's time cos I desperately need an organ lesson and organ teachers in Melbourne are about as common as an armadillo found in Australia. One local chap told me "you'll need to bust your boiler to learn a fancy piece for America."

:S please don't hate me!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    When I played at a colloquium masterclass, I played "Danket Dem Herrn" by Buxtehude. We were instructed to select North German repertoire for the masterclass, so there was a lot of Bach and Buxtehude, but that was on account of the instrument we were playing on which was designed in the style of North German organs.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • BruceL
    I would the the rep would be eclectic. All of the conference organs are equal temperament, thorough instruments. St. Joseph Shrine is in the general German-American style of the mid-19th century and is mechanical action.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Thanks @ClergetKubisz leaping lizards... I don't really do requests! I'm just not that advanced that I can pull those sort of miracles out of my hat yet.
    I think I've chosen to do some Frescobaldi or Palestrina or Luzzaschi I haven't fully decided. I really like the Luzzaschi but could learn more from the Frescobaldi if it is ready. *bites non existent nails*
    I may still choose some roccoco pieces which are German area based... so there is some hope for following that brief...
    I only play Bach on piano, violin or bassoon. I try to avoid playing Lutheran music in masses even though the organ I play on is very German in character. I managed to get through 2 years of Sundays with a new set of 4 pieces for solemn high mass every week doubling only 3 pieces and without playing any Bach or Buxtehude, that was my challenge I set myself so I could learn about French and Italian composers though I need serious help with inegale playing. Consequently I can do only one prelude and fugue from the 18 which may have been written by Krebs anyway and a few chorale preludes by the two. I just finished (three days ago) masters on bassoon (finally) so I'm grateful to have the project of learning something to perform during my stay but I don't want to sound horrible.

Tomorrow (today for me but not sure for you blokes) I'm playing lots of Grosjean stuff so I look forward to digging into some of the earlier rep ASAP to learn up and actually polish for once.

@BruceL Mechanical action :) :) :) The organ I play on is mechanical actions German-Australian so that sounds good! thanks!!!
    I'm not sure what this year's colloquium will have in store for organ masterclasses, but you should check with miacoyne if you can. She has a profile on the forum, or you can ask Chonak (the moderator) if you need help, as he may know how to get that information. You might be free to choose your own repertoire for this year. Not sure, though.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Last year at CMAA, I actually "got away with" an improvisation at Jonathan Ryan's masterclass. That being said, I quickly got the sense that this was neither expected nor especially desired, but I got a ton of fantastic feedback.
    Jonathan Ryan was the clinician when I went as well in Indianapolis. The gallery organ at CCC was a dream to play.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Just a note: We will be having the organ masterclasses at Christ Church Episcopal Cathedral (easy walking distance from the hotel). Here is a link to their website. I didn't find any detailed info. about the organ on their site, but maybe I just missed it: http://www.christchurchcathedral.us/
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • BruceL
    Always best to look at the OHS database for any questions like this: database.organsociety.org.

Christ Church's entry is here, or at least more or less how it is now (there's been a new console added and some minor changes): http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=9447
  • JesJes
    Thanks guys,

I'm not all that concerned about the organ. Just wondering what people usually play and I'm not worrying about if the organ has all the bells and whistles. I'm used to having 8 stops in total and an incomplete pedal board so anything in America will be a treat. Useful to know the specs anyway so thanks for that.

What did people play at past master classes please?

Interesting about the improvisation. I'm definitely doing something written down and by someone other than myself. I was thinking something quite early as I've not played quite this early on any of the instruments I've had a bash at.
    Do people play a little Frescobaldi sort of stuff at these things?
    I also don't want to play something someone else wants to play that would be annoying... Everybody jumping up to play fur elise with too many min2nds being played...
  • BruceL
    The point people are making is: if the instrument were a Scherer copy from the Hanseatic cities, you might consider preparing some of the North German repertoire prior to Bach. Since this is a Whiteford Aeolian-Skinner that is pretty much unaltered, a more general menu would be more appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Thanks @BruceL for the translation!

I don't think my choices could change all that much... I don't have a huge repertory of choices at this point of time because of the focus on completing bassoon masters. Now that's out the way I can actually enjoy doing something bit more serious on the organ but it definitely took a back seat.
  • BruceL
    RIght. And to those who partake of the master class, keep an eye out for William "Pat" Partridge, the long time Canon Precentor/Director of Music at Christ Church. He is a wonderful person, phenomenal musician, and walking encyclopedia of church music in this country. He was a student of Leo Sowerby at the school he briefly ran (The College of Church Musicians) at the National Cathedral in DC. Read more in the following link.

https://nealfcampbell.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/the-college-of-church-musicians-at-washington-national-cathedral/
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    So frescobaldi okay or not?
  • Frescobaldi is always 'okay'.
  • JesJes
    Okay...
    Frescobaldi is always 'okay' Frescotastically Baldiful!
  • What can you tell us about the little red and blue bird in your picture?
    Thanked by 2Jes CHGiffen
  • JesJes
    Ah mate, that's a pink Galah!
    (That's what I called myself a while back and a few people wondered what it is so yup that's a galah!)