new job questions
  • Hello Everybody!

I am about to start a new job as the Director of Music in a growing Roman Catholic Parish and am very excited. However, I am a convert and up until recently have been a director of music in a protestant church (methodist). I've participated in mass by being a cantor and lector, but never as Director of Music. I think I know where to start, but would rather take the road of humility and ask all of you amazing folks here: What do I need to keep in mind as I am moving into this new role? I'm thinking Documents I should know, resources you have had success with, positionalities on mass settings and hymn choices, etc. etc.

Thank you all for any help you provide!

Andrew
  • Carl DCarl D
    Get thee to the Colloquium if at all possible, and have great conversations with as many people as you can.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz Jes
  • Will do! June 27th?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yes, the colloquium I attended opened my eyes significantly. I experienced some of the most beautiful liturgy and music that I'd ever experienced before or since. I gained a great appreciation for true Sacred Music, and learned to sing the proper of the Mass in the correct manner. In addition to that, I met several people who are now very close friends. The colloquium is a great event indeed.
  • I wish I could attend this year... all my ideas about recruiting youngsters went right out the window.
  • canadashcanadash
    Ditto Carl and CK. Everything changed for the better in my music program after the Colloquium. A great place to start.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • In this order:

1) Spend some time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.

2) Purchase or borrow a copy of the Graduale Romanum

3) Attend a Colloquium.

4) Spend some more time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.

5) Attend a traditional Mass somewhere in your area. The purpose of your visit is to get a sense of what beautiful music sounds like within a Catholic context. (Beautiful music within a Protestant context sounds different.)

6) Read the following texts, whether with music or not:

a) Adoro te Devote, of Thomas Aquinas, and a faithful translation.
    b) O Lord I am not worthy
    c) Holy God, we praise Thy Name

7) Pick your music based on 1 - 6.

8) Lead your first rehearsal.

• canadashcanadash
    Do you have a choir?
    What does the choir sing now? (and no one here will judge you on this... since you are not the current choir director; this is just a good starting point.)

I asked a similar question years ago. Many good answers. http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6386/what-should-i-own#Item_21
  • chonakchonak
    This is important: at the outset, stay close to what your predecessor had been presenting. People have a right to go to Mass and not be shocked, even if the changes are really improvements.

Welcome aboard!
  • JesJes
    OMGsh you are in the lucky position!

Definitely do not throw out your methodist hymn books because they are gold and you will still use them and people will love you for it.

If you're coming to the colloquium let's chat. I'm not a convert but I have done Ordinary, Ordinariate and Extraordinary form of mass. I grew up in protestant schools, and I learned music from a Methodist lady.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • PaxMelodious
    You probably know this already - the Catholic church isn't that different from others: But I think it's worth saying a zillion times so am going to repeat it.

Build relationships, in roughly this order (vary to suit the circumstances):
    The parish secretary
    The parish priest
    The janitor/cleaner/custodian
    The finance committee
    The assistant / substitute priests.
    The existing musicians and singers (appreciate them for the gifts that they do have, not the ones you wish they had but don't)
    The pastoral council, liturgy group - what ever the parish has.
    The wider parish - to flush out non-involved musicians / singers.
    Any music schools (any level) in the area
    Grade schools in the area, especially teachers who may be involved in sacramental programmes.

Find out what happens now, and then develop a plan to make it better over time. Don't take positions re mass-settings etc (exception: if the parish priests tells you to do so). Rather than condemning what is there now, celebrate it well - and also move on from it. Take people with you, rather than leaving them behind.

Remember that your primary job is to show Christ's love to people using music. Some days you will fail (we're all human). Some people are very difficult to love. But that's not excuse for not making the effort.
    Thanked by 3chonak Ben Liam
  • eft94530eft94530
    I'm thinking Documents I should know

Forum Discussion 2182
    Liturgical Music Document Literacy Challenge
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/2182
  • Find out what happens now, and then develop a plan to make it better over time. Don't take positions re mass-settings etc (exception: if the parish priests tells you to do so). Rather than condemning what is there now, celebrate it well, and also move on from it. Take people with you, rather than leaving them behind.

This needs to be taken apart, for it is a mixture of good advice and not-so-good advice.

Find out what happens now,

Good advice, but it is necessary to add two caveats. 1) Learn what the Church expects of music at liturgy, not merely what is currently done in your parish; "norm" doesn't mean "how things actually are" in Ecclesiastical parlance, but rather "the measure of things" 2) There is something very valuable in not knowing what has gone before you: you can't be accused of violating some taboo you didn't know was there in the first place. Most parishes (and, especially liturgy committees) have the unspoken rules they will tell you about and the unspoken rules that will remain unspoken. If you don't ask what's been done previously you can hardly be accused of knowingly departing from current practice.

and then develop a plan to make it better over time.

People around here will differ about how long "time" can be. Have a sense of what you should do first, then develop a plan on how to get there from where-ever you find yourself. Remember that radically dumping some stuff won't always be met with cheers or jeers. Part of replacing stuff depends on how you replace, but part also depends on what replaces.

Don't take positions re mass-settings etc

This is bad advice. Take the position that the Church takes, in her magisterial documents. If asked, offer thoughtful, educated, but not pedantic opinions. Be genuinely surprised -- because it means that you assumed the best initially -- if someone prefers junk to actual sacred music, and be willing to explain why. (For example, "this piece always strikes me as worshipping the community, but I'm supposed to help you worship God")

Rather than condemning what is there now, celebrate it well

Not so good advice. I did discover that I could get people to dislike the sacro pop by singing/playing it as written instead of as usually sung/played. (City of God starts out as if one is actually rising from sleep, and is marked tempo-wise to show that. No one liked it like that. On the other hand, if you play and sing well that which has no business at Mass, people will assume that it does belong at Mass, under the rubric that it can be made suitable for Mass. (See an execrable document called Music in Catholic Worship for the camel's nose on this one.) Let me modify the advice slightly: don't condemn people for liking what is bad, but don't refuse to condemn what must be condemned as heretical, unfit for the Mass and so on. Again, assume people are there to worship God.

Take people with you, rather than leaving them behind

It's a catchy line, and modern bosses like catchy lines. You're not there to be a people pleaser, nor are you a therapist. You're a musician serving at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Your primary audience is with the King of Heaven, even if the chief boil on your skin is the head of the liturgy committee or the local version of Uriah Heep.
  • PaxMelodious
    You're a musician serving at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Your primary audience is with the King of Heaven

No. You are a musician serving a parish. Sometimes this will be in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Sometimes this will be at other events: reconciliation services, weddings and funerals outside of Mass, choir practises - whatever else the parish's employment contract with you includes. Your job is to set the scene for others to pray, not to pray for them.

even if the chief boil on your skin is the head of the liturgy committee or the local version of Uriah Heep.

If you feel this way about your pastoral colleagues (either staff or volunteer, then I would suggest job hunting.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    No. You are a musician serving a parish priest.

Fixed.

If you feel this way about your pastoral colleagues (either staff or volunteer, then I would suggest job hunting.

This is really your only recourse should you have the aforementioned issues. Have the respect for yourself to be able to walk away from a bad situation.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Hi everyone,

I enjoy my current assignment. I'm the organist in a parish which celebrates the EF exclusively. I sing in the choir and am occasionally given directorial responsibilities. Yesterday we sang a Solemn High Mass: Byrd Mass for 3 Voices and Monteverdi Ave Maria. I sang, and had no directorial responsibilities. I am writing, realistically, for someone who is in an OF situation, where liturgy committees do often run the show. I've never met a good, constructive liturgy committee in a parish which was progressive or anything of the sort, and I'm quite sure that they rule the roost in many allegedly conservative parishes, too.

As to whom we serve, I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but we serve God, primarily, in our capacity as directors of music, singers, organists or whatever. Even in penance services, we serve God. Even in weddings and funerals, we serve God. If our principle service is to someone else, in a liturgical setting in the church building, we have our priorities backwards, and no legs to stand on.
  • ...but we serve God,...

Amen, Amen, and Amen!

It needed to be said!
    We work for God.
    We exist for God.
    Our gifts are those of the Giver of Every Good and Perfect Gift.
    (Which is to stress that we certainly weren't endowed with them by the Church!)
    Our consciences and integrity are the gifts of God.
    We are they who are set over the service of singing in the house of the Lord. (Cf. Exodus)
    We are the successors of the temple Levites.

The priest?
    1.How blessed, oh how blessed! are we to have one of those who respects the above.
    2.How unfortunate are we to have one who scorns the above.

The priest?
    Whether he is no. 1 or no. 2, signs our check and otherwise makes our life joyful (and we his) or frustrates it (and we his). But we do not serve a priest. We serve God.

Still, we must strive to respect the priest and his vocation, to please him if he is wise, or patiently, respectfully, and lovingly convert him if he isn't. A scornful mind and a demeaning hauteur teacheth naught.

So, Chris, 'you can say that again',
  • Still, we must strive to respect the priest and his vocation, to please him if he is wise, or patiently, respectfully, and lovingly convert him if he isn't.

Certainly this is true. We must be respectful of the priest and his vocation. If we don't put God first, we can't do that, since he and his priesthood exist to serve God.

A scornful mind and a demeaning hauteur teacheth naught.

Yes, I would accept this, too, as true. I hope that insisting that we serve God (both musicians and priests) I'm not being misunderstood as having a scornful mind and demeaning hauteur.
  • You're never so misunderstood as having a scornful mind and a demeaning hauteur.

Every thing you have said is spot on, and spoken wisely.

Lest anyone misunderstand or misconstrue my tenor, I am not advocating a rebellious or contemptible character in our priestly relations. Rather, a respectful and appreciative one. We are fortunate indeed (at least I am) that we have authority over us. I, for one, would never wish to be without it! It is, though, particularly onerous when that authority does not act authoritatively (meaning in faithfulness to the entity which gave him authority only to do what it prescribed) and presumes to contradict, obstruct, 'forbid', what the Church in council has commanded be 'preserved' and 'fostered'. Such men are tyrants, a tyrant being one who usurps authority which is, objectively, not his, and imposes his raw power to achieve his own will in place of the Church's. There are those who care not a fig if they can make intellectual and musical prostitutes (I have eschewed a more explicit word) out of their 'difficult' musicians - the ones with integrity and conscience.

If I were pope, one of my first acts would be to make rigourously trained and singularly liturgically oriented musicians (choirmasters, organists, cantors) a minor order of clerics (as once they were in some places [don't ask me for a citation!]), and have them ordained with the commendation 'thou art set over the service of music in the house of the Lord, after the order of Levi'. Music in the Lord's House is a high calling and an awe filled responsibility requiring sober and profound musical integrity and unimpeachable Catholic character.

I feel compelled to add that I have been very fortunate in the priests and pastors who have been my religious superiors. I am grateful deeply for all that I have learnt from them. There have been bumps, of course, as there may be in many human relationships, but, on the whole, I have been honoured to have been in the service of men of integrity who were appreciative of the greater part of what I wished to accomplish in God's name and for his people, even as I was appreciative of their own unique gifts, character, and integrity, and, guidance. 'How good and pleasant a thing it is...' We hear here of so many horrible tales that it is, sometimes, easy to become discouraged, or even disillusioned altogether and think that all is rotten. All is not bad. But we do, don't we, still have much work to do in bringing around those who seem to make their peace with pop-religion and a general, seemingly pervasive, seemingly deliberate and cheap liturgical laxity, and an anti-sacral culture. Never cease to give thanks for and love those who don't fit the common mold. The wise will surround themselves with wise men and women, or those who can gently correct their shortcomings. The unwise and insecure will surround themselves with men and women sycophants.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • Chaswjd
    If you are in an ordinary form parish and have a liturgy committee, I would advise starting to take them through Sacrosanctum Concilium and the GIRM. Many liturgy committees in offering feedback will do so in terms of what they like and don't like as a matter of personal taste. By actually having them read the documents, the members can start measuring what the parish is doing against what the church wants.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Many liturgy committees in offering feedback will do so in terms of what they like and don't like

Not wishing to further any conflated rhetoric, I offer that a liturgy meeting's objective (as well as a DM/choirmaster's) is simply to execute the details of doing the red and saying the black. It is that simple.
    Thanked by 1JL
  • ghmus7
    There's a lot of wordage here, much quite good. But i would want to get some things clear, like who makes the final decisions regarding music choices. If there is a liturgy committe what do they do?
    And then, I would start to be mindful of those people who will always appear to help and support your ministry. There are always a group of kind souls who want to support good music. Take note of these folks, be kind and generous toward these folk and they will come to your aid when you need.
  • a_f_hawkins
    It is that simple.
    We had a DM with a degree in liturgy, who counted the different ways one could structure the Mass before arriving at the readings. I think she said she had reached 73 variations. When she left it became clear that the main function of the liturgy committee (at least as far as the clergy were concerned) had been to keep her in check.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    You might consider taking a block of time each week, at a time when you're not rushed, and simply reach out to people by phone, or email if they don't phone. Maybe a midweek afternoon from 2- 4, or whatever. There will be people in the choir and congregation who will want more attention than you can possibly give on Sundays or rehearsal evenings. Keep a log of phone calls so you can cover everyone in the choir from time to time. It feels good to chat with people like this, even for someone like me (I hate the phone) and it doesn't take long. And it builds genuine goodwill.

I learned this from a Spanish- language DRE with decades of experience.