Pleasures in Serving the Lord
  • Ever feel a little pleasure when the admin thanks your post? Or when you have like 10 thanks on a post?
    Anything else?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam has revisited one of his old tricks ... time to move on.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam has revisited one of his old tricks ... time to move on

I have a limited repertoire.
  • Kathy
    What about hip hop?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Oh, please!, Kathy -
    How could you!
    The topic is 'forum pleasures'.
  • francis
    one of the wonderful aspects of this forum has been the ability to share newly composed music. It is also a great proving ground for those trying their hands at composition. Some come seeking input or review. Often we find a budding composer who dares to be transparent and take critique. What a wonderful platform for those who compose music but are not accepted into the common publishing companies.

Another is the ability for those writing texts to collaborate with composers. Bravo MusicaSacra.
  • How do you even do that, @Adam Wood?
  • Learning about mathematics,
    tuning temperaments,
    Church documents,
    points of dogma,
    etc., etc.,
    from those who know more about them than I.

Tete a tete
    and disputation on matters liturgical and musical from like-minded colleagues. (Even when 'like-minded' doesn't necessarily mean 'like-opinioned'.)

Hearing about parishes at which things are relatively, or even thoroughly peachy.
    (Especially when someone has just gone from a place that was unfortunate to one that is a joy.)

Hearing about priests who are devoted to fine liturgy and music.

Reviewing some of the superb compositions that are shared here.

Reading Kathy's hymnody.

The evident mutual encouragement and support of our members, one for another.

Getting thanked.
    Thanking others.
    (I think that the 'Thanks' function is one of the nicest things about our forum.)

Being respectfully corrected when I have been mistaken.
    (Concomitantly, not being showered with hot burning coals, even though my 'occasional' unkind utterances might have earned them by the bucketsfull as my just desserts.)

Being en-joyed by the varieties of writing style and vocabulary of our members.

Knowing that, based on the quality of talent and learning evident here, there is hope for the future of Catholic liturgy and music.

I could think of more, but this will do for now.
  • Some more Forum Pleasures -

Being a congenital Anglophile and royalist, I am particularly en-joyed by our Canadian and British, and Irish, and Australian members. It's good to hear what happens elsewhere than in the US.

When I'm not an Anglophile on a particular day, I'm a Francophile. So, it's nice that we have participation now and then from those parts. (Even if they did commit regicide and to this day are unrepentant of it.)

Blaming the state of American liturgy on the Irish.

Getting a bang out of Adam's wit - sometimes tart, sometimes smart, who knows what when? Always clever. Plus, I've learned so much just about muffins (does everyone remember the OT muffins diversion?), to name but one.

Banter.

Illumination.

Scintillating and perspicacious offerings by some who know far more than I.

The opportunity to be helpful to those who are coming along.

Being rather impressed at the overwhelming evidence that my computer skills are incredibly elementary.

Admiring Kathy's translating and poetic talents. True gifts!
    Ditto those whose Latin scholarship far exceeds mine.

The evident striving for true holiness which is often apparent. This is inspiring. Pleasurable.

Knowing that we all share an inordinate love of that which 'is a lantern unto my feet'.
    Ditto the words of our mass and everything that they represent and convey.

Ditto the unspeakable and singular power of music to transcend the physical, atmospheric, order in ways that no other art can, and that we, all of us, share in using this power, this gift, to the glory of He Who Was, Who Is, and Who Is To Come, and to aedify his People and lift them up, enlighten them. Sharing in these matters is the Greatest Pleasure of this forum.

We are a family. A brotherhood. And a sisterhood. A brother- and sister-hood. Whatever is the best way to express 'how good and pleasant a thing it is, brethren, to dwell together in unity'. I believe fully that our Father in heaven has purposefully distributed the gift of music to some of his children for the profound purpose of fulfilling the same role in his Church that was fulfilled by the house of the Levites in Jewish Temple times. We are their heirs. Sharing in this is a tremendous Forum Pleasure.

We have, I believe, several Scandinavian members. It would be a pleasure to hear from them more often.

It is a pleasure that some of our members are in holy orders. It would be nice if we had more, and that they would contribute more.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    What a rip off. I clicked on "Forum pleasures" thinking it was like the "after hours" channel on the hotel-room TV.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Forum pleasures" thinking it was like the "after hours" channel

Get thee to the nunnery!

Oh......wait........nevermind.
  • Liam
    Melo

Surely, you meant Castle Anthrax?
  • ghmus7
    Learning new words from mjo such as perspec..perpics.. oh its too big.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Liam, "why yes, I could stay a bit longer...." and stop calling me.....
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Let me stay and face the peril!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • This thread is a much needed one which can serve to encourage everyone and keep the torch lit. We should set aside at least one day a week to increase its comments and keep it going as long as we can. (That is not to say that it can't be added to as often as desired.) In addition to 'Forum Pleasures' the title should be expanded or altered to include 'Liturgical and Pastoral Pleasures', or 'Sacred Music Pleasures', or some such.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Pleasures, not chores. One thing I really enjoy is being able to write in purple.
  • @MJO Changed.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • kevinfkevinf
    One of the things I love about doing this work (and the change in the institution I work at) is funerals. We sing all the propers for them...no requests are taken and the priest sings his parts as well. I have been playing and singing the "In paradisum" for many years but I still get moved every time I sing it at a funeral. So funerals are a true beauty and a prayer that we should treasure as Catholics.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Teaching true Sacred Music to the next generations of Catholics. Nothing more noble than that for me.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    One of the happiest moments I've had in singing at our chapel was last week when a perspicacious lady came up to me after Mass with the handout and pointed to the parts of Mass VI, Missa Rex Genitor, and said, "What is this, and where did it come from? I've never heard this before, and it's so beautiful. Why aren't they singing this at my Latin Mass? All they ever sing is the Mass of the Angels. Where can I find this?"

It turns out she is a concert pianist and singer who wants to help her choir learn new music. She has been coming to our Mass off and on and never knew there were so many mass settings and was blown away by Masses VI, II, and V. I gave her some copies of the Achilles Brager accompaniment, and she was so grateful. Next time she comes I'm going to show her my brand spanking new St. Edmund Campion Missal Volume I organ accompaniment with high, medium and low key arrangements of the Kyriale.

Without the Musica Sacra forum, I could not have learned so much about the music of the Mass, and I could not have found all the wonderful sacred music which has become so much a part of our heart and soul by now. I think especially of all the gorgeous melodies, esp. those hauntingly beautiful mass settings of the Kyriale which we have been blessed and privileged to share with others.

This past Sunday our wonderful Bishop James Massa celebrated First Holy Communion and thanked us for our music ministry and said he is reminded of the words, Sursum corda, and said we lift up the hearts of the people with our music and give them light and hope.

If it weren't for the generosity and kindness and saintliness of so many sacred musicians like Charles Giffen and the CPDL editors who share precious manuscripts and people like Jeff Ostrowski, Aristotle Esguerra, Richard Chonak, et al. who make it easy for people to access and learn about this area of music, we couldn't do what we do, and we couldn't spread the ancient treasures of Church music to our corner of the world. I'm so grateful to all of you for sharing your expertise and for your encouragement and solidarity. What an honor to be a little disciple of you all. : )
  • Thought the OP (me) should give some thoughts.

I joined the forum this past February (I think it was that!) because I was always intrigued by traditional hymnody. I probably appreciated it more because it isn't what is normally sung at our church.

I never expected to learn so much from everyone.

Since I have joined, my views on Sacred Music have changed, for the better. I am now a strong advocator for chant at my home parish. I hope soon to help my choir learn to sing polyphony.

Thanks to all for welcoming me here.