a recent article about the responsoria brevia tones and tunes
  • Paul F. Ford
    Does anyone recall reading a recent article about the responsoria brevia tones and tunes, as in a cataloging of the tones and tunes? I am doing a completely fresh build of my new iMac (not migrating from any previous Mac because I have have brought over too much detritus from the past) and I have lost my download of this article.

Thanks in advance.
  • If I am not mistaken, it seems you could write one yourself! Perhaps that is the point, though. If you are citing an article, you would need that article, wouldn't you? ...

Was it in a journal like Sacred Music or Adoremus? Or an online essay/blog post?

Good luck!

P.S. I only recently discovered that By Flowing Waters is based on the Graduale Simplex, which I have recently acquired and gained an appreciation of. I am hoping some day to be able to get your book, and then some day even later introduce it to a parish. Despite Bugnini's promotion of it, I really appreciate the GS and what a resource like it and your BFW offers smaller parishes.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Paul F. Ford
    Thank you, RomanticStrings. I think I read the article on Musicologie Médiévale but I can't find it there.

I published my discoveries back in May of 2008: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/5023#Comment_5023
  • Thank you, Paul F. Ford, for that link.

Have you or anyone had any trouble with the fact that the Psalm refrain emerges out of the first verse, and is not sing and repeated before the Psalm begins?
  • Paul F. Ford
    Only when we first started singing them this way. It was harder to sing the alleluia psalms in this style, since people are programmed to leap up at the sound of a sung alleluia. But they welcome these, especially in the easter season.
  • I wanted to do an Alleluia psalm this Easter, but I hadn't considered the leap-up instinct, so we didn't get to do it.
  • I published my discoveries back in May of 2008: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/5023#Comment_5023

Maybe you mean the article by late L. Dobszay whuch was discussed in that thread? It has now a different internet address.