Looking for an Organ to 'Re-Purpose'
  • kpoterack
    I know that this is not the usual way to do things, but I thought that I would give it a try. (Incidentally, I am also in touch with John Bishop at the Organ Clearing House.)

For our new chapel at Christendom College, we are looking for:

- an early 20th century Casavant or E.M. Skinner organ or organ/pipework with a similar tonal design;
    - approximately three manuals, 40-50 ranks;
    - should be voiced to fill a chapel which seats 400 people [+200 counting the transept seating at a few big Masses.] The main altar is at the crossing with a Lady chapel behind it for smaller weekday Masses and, thus, not to be factored in.

If anyone has information about an organ fitting this description (or even close) which becomes available, please let me know.

Thank you!
  • BruceL
    Kpoterack,

Might be worth it (if you have the time) to cold-call some of the APOBA builders to see if they have anything lying around. They usually will not advertise that on builder websites, but they usually have some "Treasures". Cheers, and good luck!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Simone at Casavant had a lovely 1950 Casavant that was in Quebec and available a few months ago. Tell him Matthew from Phoenix sent you.
  • Palestrina
    Isn't 40-50 ranks for a chapel seating 400 a bit excessive?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    You can't go wrong with the Organ Clearing House.
  • redsox1
    Please PM if you wish. I represent a company that can provide several different options.
  • BruceL
    Palestrina, much like your namesake's polyphony, perhaps you could use a couple more ornaments from time to time! ;-)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Oh no you didn't...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW BruceL
  • CharlesW
    Again, it comes down to scaling, voicing, and the room. I once played a large Hook & Hastings in of all places, a funeral home chapel. One would think the instrument far too large for the room at first sight. Tonally, it was a perfect fit for the space it was in.

On the other extreme, I play a 10-rank Schantz in a very live room seating 500-600 every weekend. The room is all hard surfaces with a high ceiling. That small instrument can rattle the windows or be as soft as a whisper. The size of an instrument can be completely misleading.

kpoterack, if you have 50 ranks scaled and voiced for your space, it could all sound quite beautiful. I like your tastes in organs. :-)
  • lhouston58
    I know of a free Casavant in a redundant church. 3 manuals, 39 ranks. Can be enlarged, of course.
  • kpoterack
    lhouston58,

Thank you. Send me a private message giving more information, please.