Memorial Day (US) at Your Parish?
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    St Thomas More
    Withamsville, OH

(My very last Mass as DM)

Introit: Eternal Rest (Gregorian Mode 6, adapt. SMC)
    Psalm: Psalm 23 (Guimont)
    Gospel Acc.: Mode 6, vs. Eternal Rest
    Offertory Hymn: "O Beautiful for Spacious Skies"
    Sanctus - Amen: Mass of Charity, SMC
    Agnus Dei: ICEL Chant
    Communion: May Eternal Light (Gregorian, adapt. SMC)
    Organ Improvisation on "Requiem Aeternam"
    Closing Hymn: "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" (Hymnal 1940 Land/Sea/Air Text)
    Postlude: Brahms, Blest Are Ye Faithful Souls

I also played the same postlude at my organ teacher's funeral, who preceded me at this job and gave me the opportunity to take it on right out of college.
  • BenBen
    I don't believe we had music this year, but last year, we did the SEP requiem propers, and jubilate deo ordinary, with a simple psalm setting I pulled together at the last minute.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • CharlesW
    The only thing we had was a spoken mass this morning with the usual 40 or so in attendance. I did no patriotic music yesterday since it was a solemnity. With so many veterans in the parish, they notice. We will sing the patriotic hymns July 3rd.
    Thanked by 2Olivier NihilNominis
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Yes, I only do patriotic music on the day. Corpus Christi's External Solemnity does not become also the Forefeast of Memorial Day.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Olivier
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    In addition to our parish's observance of Memorial Day, we hosted the Archdiocesan Mass for the homeschool HS graduates today. A bit more "pomp and circumstance" than a typical Monday daily Mass, though I certainly didn't play the Elgar!

Procession of Graduates: Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)
    Entrance Hymn: Come, Holy Ghost
    Kyrie and Gloria: Missa de Angelis
    Psalm: Meinrad Psalm Tone
    Offertory: What Wondrous Love is This
    Sanctus - Agnus Dei: Missa de Angelis
    Communion 1: The Call + lengthy improvisation and modulation while each communicant received kneeling, on the tongue, at the altar rail, from the hands of the priest-celebrant
    Communion 2: O Lord, I Am Not Worthy
    Marian Hymn: Salve Regina
    Recessional Hymn: O Merciful Redeemer (THAXTED)