4-page (i.e., one sheet) worship aid for Corpus Christi (EF)
  • Ben Dunlap
    The SJFM Propers sheet for Corpus Christi is 5 pages... gulp! I didn't want to deal with this so I made my own. Had to cut a few corners to get it down to four pages (left out the text of the Epistle and Gospel, and the Sequence layout is a little cramped) but I thought I'd share in case it's useful for anyone. Feedback welcome. It's meant to be printed two pages to a side on landscape-oriented legal paper.

Produced in LucidPress, would be happy to share the original with anyone who'd like to edit for their own purposes. Hope I didn't violate any copyrights.
    Thanked by 3JulieColl CHGiffen Bri
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Great job! There's a lot to pack in for Corpus Christi. My handout for our Missa Cantata and Procession is 6 double-sided pages. Yikes! I'm trying to be as green as possible, but we have no pew hymnals, etc., so it is what it is. I suspect, though, that it's okay to make a large carbon footprint in praise of the Creator.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    We have a printer that handles tabloid size paper. All worship aids and bulletins are printed on it. We include graphics regularly.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We have a printer that handles tabloid size paper. All worship aids and bulletins are printed on it. We include graphics regularly.

So... is this Low Mass with hymns?

Lovely worship aid.
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    .image

Are you a crazy person?
    430 x 491 - 135K
    Thanked by 1matthewj
    Yes, Low Mass with hymns. We had our Solemn High Mass last weekend.
    I fell that this is the best use of the space for Sequence translations. After all, the verses are in couplets. I didn't like the way it looked in simple columns. It makes even more sense when you realize that the couplet verses increase in numbers of lines near the end. No, I believe this is the best layout, and easier for the congregation to read along.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Down one column. Then down the next.
    Sorry. Tried it that way. Looks horrible. Been doing it this way for years. First time ever questioned. It does include the verse numbers, for crying out loud!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very snazzy worship aid. I really like the tri-fold configuration.
    Oddly enough, I've always folded these tri-fold aids with the "Z" fold: read, open, flip open, done. That's the way the TLM crowd is used to. But the English Mass crowd are used to the "C" fold: Entrance Hymn, Greeting, (sound of folding), Liturgy of the Word, Hymn, (sound of folding), Liturgy of the Eucharist, (sound of folding), Communion hymn, end of Mass, lots of dog-eared tri-folds to be recycled for more Masses. We made the mistake one Easter of folding everything "Z" fold - AND DID WE HEAR ABOUT IT!
  • chonakchonak
    Don't be surprised if some of us find the arrangement
    1 2
    3 4
    5 6
    etc.
    unusual for stanzas. I can't find any hymnals that follow that pattern.

Considering it from a readability perspective, the row-by-row layout demands more eye movement from the reader than a columnwise layout.
    I can see that for most hymn-style stanzas. But virtually all Sequences are couplets, with rhyming schemes related to each other in the 1-2, 3-4, etc. I think that is more visible in my layout. Only UK hymnals have the stanzas separate from the music lines anyway. Even The Hymnal 1940 would follow a scheme of verses 1-4 between the staves, 5 below left, 6 below right, and 7 below middle. I'm really not that off-base.

Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • The couplet rationale makes sense to me.
    If one were to listen to the sequence while reading along the way you have it above, I can imagine praying along well to that.

• chonakchonak
    Just to complicate things: as you know, 1 and 2 have the same tune, 3 and 4 have the same tune; then 5 and 7 do, and 6 and 8 do. Oops! If there weren't irregularities about it, it wouldn't really be liturgy. :-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But it doesn't look like couplets. It looks like two separate columns. Until you notice the numbers. It is visually confusing, but you can't tell because your explanation to yourself overrides your ability to see it clearly.
    Thanked by 1chonak
    Thanking all for comments, I have printed all Sequences this way in the EF Mass tri-folds for 10+ years, so I'm sticking with it here.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JesJes
    As a poetry and prose major
    I can say that coupled stanzas should just have less space between them and move vertically
    1 5
    2 6

3 7
    4 8

So it ends up like that. Hope that helps?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Heath
  • JesJes
    I should add I have no problem with the layout, it still is easy to read.
  • JesJes
    So hang on, your priest says the gospel in English? Doesn't chant it in Latin? Is that a thing?
    This year, Corpus Christi was a Low Mass - Trinity Sunday was our annual BIG High Mass. Some might not be aware that all of the recently printed pew missalettes for the EF Mass have all the Prayers and Readings printed for Trinity Sunday. Newcomers to the EF Mass typically try to follow along with the Mass without looking at the tri-folds - I guess they figure it's for hymns and some sort of "commentary". That's why I put so much into them - to make them want to look at it. The Priest says everything in Latin at our parish, although I believe that doing the Readings in English is an option in the Missal of Pope John XXIII.

Your scheme above is one that I don't disagree with. But I also have the constraint on space - any larger, in any way, would bump the last verses onto the next tri-fold panel, which would bump another paragraph onto the next page, and I would have to use a shorter Communion hymn - and I really wanted to use Fr. Phillips' hymn this year. The Corpus Christi worship aid already has about half the pretty graphics that any other Sunday or Feast would have!

It did occur to me that the rhyming scheme I mentioned doesn't really exist in this particular English translation. I'm searching the internet for a better translation (still traditional in style - thees, thous, etc.) that more accurately mirrors the original Latin rhyming scheme for next year.
  • MatthewRoth
    Vernacular readings are permitted according to Summorum. Most conngregations outside of France and perhaps Germany would revolt. The general agreement is that they must be in Latin at Sung or High Mass.