• kpoterack
    I was wondering if there were any opinions out there about the sort of work Casavant is doing right now. That is, the past 5-10 years. In other words, I am wondering what sort of work they are doing now - rather than their 'historic' organs.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    quite good.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • canadashcanadash
    There was a new build in a small parish in Port Perry, Ontario. http://casavantfreres.com/Jimdo/ProjectsTables/ProjectsPages/3911-PortPerry-Inspiration9.html

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnZC-v44mw

People are quite happy with it. You could try and contact Uwe Lieflander who was primarily responsible for obtaining the instrument: http://www.seatofwisdom.org/maestro-uwe-lieflander/ and ask his opinion of the organ and the process.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • kevinfkevinf
    I would echo Matthew's response. I have played two medium size Casavants in the last two years and was very pleased with them. They were installed in the last five years.

I do not know who the current tonal director is, so that would be an area of interest. I thought very much of Jean Coignet, but I have a French bias.

They would certainly be on my list of folks to talk to.
  • CharlesW
    The newest Casavant I have heard is 20 years old. It sounds kind of reedy and harsh. I hope the new ones sound better and will follow this discussion to learn about the new ones. They were always well-built, so that was never a factor.
  • BruceL
    Very good. Simon Couture is the VP and is a good egg.

CharlesW's observations are correct...but 20 years out of date. One of the big issues back then was that they had a "three-headed finisher". If you got Coignet, you were golden. If not...
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Pronounced Simone.

Also they recently had a very nice instrument from the early 1950s that was available in Quebec. You might ask about some transplants they have available.
  • Well, as I mentioned in a previous thread, Casavant is waiting to put in an organ at St. Michael's Cathedral in Toronto, that is if it ever gets there with all the delays and closure... It's been sitting in the voicing room since last July!
  • ryandryand
    I went to a concert last week on a 2010 Casavant and it sounded lovely.
  • CharlesW
    Good to know they now sound good. I think the tone of the two Casavants in this area might be responsible for there not being more of them. All the newer organs have been other brands.
  • JMoellman
    I have played the Casavant in Port Perry on number of occasions (services, recitals, continuo), and would be glad to give my thoughts. Just be in-touch.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • doneill
    Casavants are solidly built, but if you go with them, make sure you have a good consultant. I played a newer French-oriented Casavant recently, and it was extremely loud. Especially if your space is not huge, consider having milder English-style reeds instead of the big French ones that will obliterate everybody (sorry, Kevin).
  • CharlesW
    consider having milder English-style reeds instead of the big French ones that will obliterate everybody

Having both wouldn't be a bad thing!
  • ryandryand
    Obliterer Complaignants en Chamade