Liturgical Latin Pronunciation of "Ps"
  • madorganist
    I have always pronounced the ps of psalmum and psallite /s/ rather than /ps/. One of my schola members (a well-trained one, at that) says /ps/. I decided to double-check myself before correcting him, but I haven't yet found a definitive answer after checking the intro to the Liber, Rossini, and Terry. What's correct in the normal Italian Latin pronunciation? Can anybody cite an authoritative source - or link to a recording of an Italian choir?
  • Liam
    I've always heard initial psi as /s/ in ecclesiastical Latin - and, sung, it's certainly much less likely to distort pitch and intelligibility (which, to my mind, would be the conclusive reason to avoid bucking that common practice). In classical Latin, it could have been pronounced as psi in Greek.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unlike aging ushers groaning in the men's room... The p is silent.
    Thanked by 3Ben Olivier SrEleanor
  • madorganist
    I agree, but do you have a source?
  • How about 10,000 recordings and everyone singing ps as [s].
    I'd start with recordings of the communion proper from Ascension, "Psallite Domino".
    Is there a chance this guy is pulling your leg?
    Thanked by 2Liam Ben
  • madorganist
    No, but I don't need links to 10,000 recordings, just one, sung by real Italians, not Brits, Americans, Germans, etc.
  • One issue with looking for Italian choral recordings... is that there aren't a ton of recordings of chant sung by Italian speakers.
    No Italian I know of would ever sing ps as [ps]. Perhaps you should ask your schola member for a source. He should be able to provide one.
  • 'Ps', as I suspect most here know, is a peculiarity of Greek. When speaking Greek words one pronounces the 'p' - as in P'tolemy or p'salm. However, I've never heard the 'ps' in a Latin (or English, for that matter) context pronounced other than 's', and hope that I never do. As MaryAnn illustrates, a choir that sang 'P'sallite Domino' would likely be receiving some well deserved snickers for such an affectation. Of course, 'psalm' is a Greek word indicating a sung or chanted text, but when it appears in Latin verbiage one pronounces it as the Romans Italians do. - Just as one pronounces Latin itself the way the, um, Romans did Italians do. (At least, in church.)
  • Kathy
    I LOVE snickers!
  • madorganist
    Unfortunately, this makes no mention of ps. I'm simply trying to make sure my longtime pronunciation is not simply the unchecked assumption of a native English speaker, that's all. In English, both the p and l of psalm are silent; in German, both letters are pronounced. The p is also pronounced in the French psaume. I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that German-speaking choirs using their traditional manner of Latin pronunciation pronounce the p in Latin texts as well - snicker-inducing for Anglophones or not. But that's neither here nor there. The Italian language, like Spanish and Portuguese, spells the word salmo. If they don't have ps in their mother tongue, why should we assume that they would not pronounce it as spelled? Oh wait - maybe because we English speakers have a tendency to think everybody else imitates us! If it weren't for us, they'd all be speaking German, right? I'm going to e-mail an Italian friend to settle this and will report back when I've received his reply.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • Please do report back after consulting your Italian friend. The Italians I know say [s].

I'd still ask your schola member for his source(s) on the subject.
    Could be interesting.
  • Good observations, madorganist! And accurate, as well! True, many on the continent continue to pronounce Latin as they have for well over a thousand years: as they pronounce their own tongues. The English continue this as well - in their universities and public schools. It seems that (so far as I can tell) the only people who hie to the Italianate, Liber Ususalis, Latin are English, American and Italian church choirs. This eccentric 'Latin' has little appeal outside the Anglo-phone and Italo-phone spheres. And, why should it? We should, all of us, pronounce Latin reasonably close to what we are told by linguists and clacissists is the way that (educated) Romans pronounced it... at one point in time. Just as one's French hasn't passed muster until it brings a smile to a Parisian's face, and light into his eyes, likewise, one's Latin should be judged by the manner in which it would have brightened a Roman Roman's countenance. (But, we digress.)

I disagree with you on only one point: I have always pronounced the 'l' in 'psalm', and consider this to be TPP (The Proper Pronunciation). People who say 'sawm' seem, clearly, to suffer from a TPP deficiency... a condition which, usually, is congenital.
  • MatthewRoth
    The German p before a consonant AFAIK is incredibly subtle at a word’s beginning. The same in French: it’s, in non-technical terms, an aspiration before the main part, which is “soom,” not “soam,” (soon vs soap sounds in English) as I would expect from the spelling.

I would assume it, though I’m no linguist, precisely because the ps– was dropped. It seems to me that it’s hard to introduce a sound to a person when his or her language lacks it.

MJO: some are more extreme in their variants than others...and some pronunciations have a time and place. “Ray-geen-a” sounds fine in the solemn Salve, but awful in the simple chant.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    In the absence of a special rules dealing with particular combinations, isn't the norm that individual consonants should be distinctly pronounced?

C.f. these recordings:

Psallite Domino (Communion)

Jubilate Deo (Introit)

Jubilate Deo (Offertory)

Lauda anima (Offertory)
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • MatthewRoth
    The first is obviously French, which tells us that French speakers of Latin will pronounce it. It doesn’t get at what the Liber and other manuals envision as a standard.
  • madorganist
    MJO, my understanding is that the Italian pronunciation wasn't adopted in Catholic churches in English-speaking countries until St. Pius X's 1903 motu proprio and even later among Anglicans. Before then, it was like we hear in some recordings of Byrd, for example, where it's pronounced like English before the Great Vowel Shift.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySTHOJKIlA
    I think we've all struggled with choir members who can't break the habit of ay diphthongs or words (or parts thereof) that look similar to English words, such as cherubim (in last Sunday's proper), thronem, the soft g in longe or jurgia, hard s at the end of a word (fons, mors), or even how to say in properly in Latin, because none of these pronunciations comes naturally to us. Americans are bad enough, but the Irish priests I've known all pronounced their liturgical Latin in a manner that would immediately give them away as foreigners if they were to celebrate Mass in Rome.

MaryAnn, the schola member in question is fond of recordings from Solesmes, so perhaps that's where he picked it up.

Note that the IPA for the Italian psicologia (psychology) is /psikolodʒa/.
  • Speaking of Latin (Church Latin at that!) pronounced just the way one's vernacular is/was pronounced (as it was everywhere until around a hundred years ago), avail yourself of Paul McCreesh's CD of a Sarum Christmas as sung by the Canterbury Cathedral Choir and the Gabrieli Consort. The Latin in this performance is pronounced as it would have been in England in the late 15th century, before the great vowel shift. It is fascinating on many levels - the manner of performing chant, the dramatic (and purposeful?!) contrast between chant by men vs. by men and boys, ditto the studied contrast between chant and (John Sheppard's) polyphony. The pronunciation of the Latin is initially somewhat shocking, but this is what was done all over Europe until very recent times.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The Italian word salmo is certainly suggestive; Copeman's Italian Latin chapter in Singing Early Music is oddly silent on "ps" (as is WP), though he mentions "santus" and "sangtus" as examples of dropped consonants. Perhaps there's something in the standard reference, his earlier book.

I have more performances of Athanaeus' hymn coming up soon and it's really a lot of fun to pronounce the h's following p, t & r in a reconstructed 2c BC Attic accent.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    So, what about "caeli" being pronounced "say-lee" vs "chelly/chay-lee"?
    (maybe it's already mentioned in a thread, but that's what I thought of while reading all of this.)
  • donr
    CCooze the difference is that there is a rule in Latin that "c, like k in all postions, except bfore e, I, ae or oe; then , like ch in church: cena, circa, caelum, coenobium. - A Preimer of Ecclesiastical Latin by John F. Collins.
    This book also states (page 3 Notes:)
    7. Doubled consonants are doubly pronounced: ancil/la, mis/sa, pe/catum, sab/batum, com/mit/to.
    8. There are no silent consonants in Latin.

This seems to say that you would pronounce the "p" in psalm. However, when we sing Latin we do pronounce things differently than when we say them.

I would imagine that the p should be there but only as loud or accented as the "l" in psalm is sung or spoken.

IMHO only.
    I am no linguist.
  • LenaH
    Long time lurker, first time poster here. The information I have learned here the past few years has been invaluable to me.

I am Italian and I have never seen the "ps" combination of consonants at the beginning of a word before. As someone earlier stated, the Italian spelling of "psalm" is "salmo," no "p" anywhere. If it is not there, it is not pronounced.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    If the Italians see "salmo", and pronounce an "s", I would think this makes it more, rather than less, likely that when they see "psalmum" with a "p", the "p" would be pronounced.

Here's one "psalmum".

Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Italian pronunciation wasn't adopted in Catholic churches in English-speaking countries until St. Pius X's 1903 motu proprio and even later never among Anglicans.

VYE-VAT RUH-GINE-UH

VIN-AIGHTY

PREE-SEEZ

Somehow, in America at least, Episcopalians seem to pronounce "Amen" correctly (ah-men), while Roman Catholics seem overwhelmingly likely to say Ay-min. (At least, in the places I have lived and worshipped... YMMV.)

Collins:
    8. There are no silent consonants in Latin.

Pretty much everyone:
    The P is silent.

OH! You mean Latin is not, alone, a magical language in which the human phenomenon of linguistic exceptions and variations in both spelling and pronunciation are supernaturally transcended by the application of rules! I AM SO SURPRISED! And all this time I thought that the reason the Church used Latin was that it was the BEST. (period) LANGUAGE. (period) EVER. (period)

srsly guise

No one (normal) pronounces the P in Psalm, in singing English or Latin. The burden of proof is:
    a. on the person who insists otherwise, but also
    b. moot, because:
    b1. language rests on convention
    b2. the director is always right; sing it the way the director wants.
  • Liam
    "There are no silent consonants in Latin."

But, if /ps/ is /psi/ it's a single vocalized consonant....
  • SalieriSalieri
    Somehow, in America at least, Episcopalians seem to pronounce "Amen" correctly (ah-men), while Roman Catholics seem overwhelmingly likely to say Ay-min. (At least, in the places I have lived and worshipped... YMMV.)

Ah-men and Ah-men.

I have even heard people sing Ay-min at the ends of hymns or after the Eucharistic Prayer. *shudder*
  • CCoozeCCooze
    @donr, maybe I missed something in your explanation, but I don't see at all how that answered the question of why people will pronounce caeli/coeli as "say-lee."

Two of us sang the Charpentier Regina Caeli for Easter this year.

This was the best, though obnoxious, recording I could find at the time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXiIZcoLv7U
  • madorganist
    donr, I must disagree with Collins's assertion that there are no silent consonants in Latin. H is a consonant and is always silent except in the words mihi and nihil, where it is pronounced according to the former spelling of those words, michi, nichil.

LenaH, what about psicologia or psichico?

Adam, please not the ah-men/ay-men thing again. It's been beaten to death on this forum despite ample evidence that ay-men was the historical English pronunciation, ah-men being a late Anglican affectation. Others have even tried to blame it on Vatican II!
    No one (normal) pronounces the P in Psalm, in singing English or Latin. The burden of proof is:
    a. on the person who insists otherwise, but also
    b. moot, because:
    b1. language rests on convention
    b2. the director is always right; sing it the way the director wants.

Except for (normal) Italians, Germans, and French, as evidenced by the recordings linked to above. We English speakers are the ones who have an odd pronunciation. (Spanish too.) If I allowed liturgical Latin to rest on convention in my choir, I'd get all sorts of hideous diphthongs. You can have your convention. I'll take the Italian pronunciation that St. Pius X proposed as the ideal for the Roman rite.

Here's what my Italian friend had to say:
    'Ps' is not original Latin, but it was borrowed from Greek, where there is a common sound, the Greeks also had a letter for this double sound, the psi, the last before omega. And it was p + s for Greeks and also for Latins, where it appears in loans
    from Greek: psalmus from Greek psalmòs, etc. In Italian, pronunciation it is also pronounced as 'ps' for modern languages, for example psicologia, so French psychologie, as well as for Latin ecclesiastical pronunciation. In fact, it was just in English that this double sound 'ps', labial p and 's', is reduced to only a 's'. I do not know, how to do with a chorus of different linguistic origin, but for historical reasons it would be better to unify to 'ps' instead of 's'.

For those inclined to discount this as merely one man's personal opinion, please be aware that he is a philologist by profession and has well above average knowledge of the Latin language.
  • MatthewRoth
    As I said above, it's almost impossible to hear the pronounced “p” in front of “s”... French phonics do trick me, even after several years of study, but it's a sound a non-native speaker will not get with any ease, if at all, and I’ll ask a professor I know, but my guess is it’s not the sound a native speaker uses to gauge the fluency and non-nativeness of a non-native speaker. So extrapolate all that to Latin and basically ignore “p.”
  • madorganist
    Interesting. In German, to pronounce Psychologie without the initial p sound immediately gives one away as a non-native speaker. Still, French and German are different languages than Italian. Check out http://forvo.com/search/psicologia/it/ for an example of Italian pronunciation.
  • gregpgregp
    This topic actually took me aback, because my initial inclination was to say, of course they didn't pronounce the p. Then I thought about it a little more carefully (I hope), and it occurs to me that there might be more to it than that. So I write this in a spirit of inquiry, rather than that of laying down what I think is the best practice.

This all has to do with sounds in the Greek words that Latin speakers borrowed, and there are six of them: PS from the letter Psi (Ψ), CH from Chi (χ), TH from Theta (θ), PH from Phi (ɸ), Y from Upsilon (Υ), and Z from Zeta (ζ). These letter combinations occur almost exclusively in words borrowed from Greek and, later, Hebrew, to indicate sounds that were not native to Latin. If the Romans of the 1st and 2nd centuries BC had not heard a difference between F and PH, for example, they would not have transcribed the Greek word ɸαɩδων as Phaedo, they would have opted for a much easier Faedo, and learners of English would not be bedeviled by all the words that use "ph" to spell "f". PH, CH, and TH all signified an aspirated consonant, rather than the plain P, C, and T. Or a more familiar example: Greek Κυϱɩε came into Latin as Kyrie, with the Upsilon (υ) intact as the new letter "y", instead of being spelled with an "i", because at this point, it was probably pronounced in Greek as a German "ü". This tells me that when the bulk of the borrowings took place, speakers of Latin still heard a difference in sound, so the Greek sounds were still approximated by Latin spelling.

However, I think what probably happened very soon after was that all these non-native sounds were assimilated into more familiar ones by the common people. Cicero and Marcus Aurelius spoke Greek, and so they would have known the difference between T and TH, but the man in the street would not, and in short order Thomas would become To-mas, Psalmus would become Sal-mus, and Psyche would turn into English Sigh-key. Some expert in Latin epigraphy would have to weigh in, but my guess is that this happened before the sixth or seventh centuries. Words like Psychology are modern coinages, so they would not reflect "traditional" pronunciations coming from Medieval Europe.

Does that make sense?
  • Elmar
    Very interesting all this!

As a German native speaker (and non-linguist), I would like to add that our 'traditional' pronunciation of Latin does contain a lot of multiple consonants, and therefore does not seem to derive from any Italian-style medieval Latin (with "salmus" and the like) as explained above.
    Where Latin is still used in Church, you will always hear things like "Gloria in ekstselsis Deo", "Ag-nus Dei, kvi tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis paatsem" etc.
    By the way, does anyone know why German clergy apparently refused to give up their dialect of Latin in favor of Roman pronunciation in 1903 (different from, e.g., the Dutch)?

With respect to the original question:
    Doesn't the traditional hyphenation of words like "i-pse", "pro-pter" etc. indicate that an audible 'ps' (or 'pt') at the beginning of a syllable is considered a normal thing - then why not at the beginning of a word?
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Andrew_Malton
    How surprising I found this!

I always pronounce the p in ps when reading or singing Latin. Never occurred to me to do otherwise. Never been corrected, either. It strikes me that singing "sallite" or "salmo" would be as over-italianated as singing "eccelso" or "estra".
  • madorganist
    Elmar, the Italianate pronunciation has gained ground with some German choirs and clergy, but there are usually a few giveaways such as aspirated h's in words like hominibus and neutral syllables (e.g., "sem-puh" instead of "sem-pair"). The German Latin pronunciation seems to have some variants as well. Consider zahn-ktus/sahn-ktus and eye-yah/ee-yah. I'm also curious about why some countries switched over in 1903 but others didn't. It seems most (all?) Eastern European countries use a "Germanic" pronunciation with hard g's and c pronounced /ts/, qui as kvi, etc. I was surprised to come across a recording of a Norwegian choir using the Italian pronunciation, but I don't know if that's typical there or not. I wouldn't be surprised if Scandinavians have been influenced by English choirs. Perhaps that's also the case with the Dutch.
  • madorganist
    In 1934, it could still be stated that "The Italian pronunciation does not appear to have made much headway in Anglican cathedrals or college chapels up to the present." Quite interesting, considering this is a mere 82 years ago. The author also attributes the Italian pronunciation in England to "Faberism." Check it out: Latin in Church: Episodes in the History of Its Pronunciation Particularly in England
  • WGS
    Andrew Malton, I'm with you.

However, for singing the word "psalm" in English, I hearken back to the admonition of Dr. Peter J. McCarthy. The "p" is silent as in "swimming".
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • LenaH
    "LenaH, what about psicologia or psichico?"

Madorganist, I must thank you for correcting me on the fact that there are many Italian words beginning with the "ps" combination. Honestly, I had no idea, so thanks again. (It is amazing how much we learn on this forum.)

My schola sings "psalmum" and "psallite" with /s/ since I am the director. They always follow my directions! : )
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Words like "psicologia" are good examples of exceptions to the general rule that everything seen is said in Italian.
    Same with Spanish. It's not unusual to find that happening with words that are borrowed from other languages, in this case Greek.
    The initial "p" is still silent. And there are often different spellings of transliterated words and parts of words.

madorganist, if you are the director, the (informed) decision is yours.

I prefer Italianate pronunciation for the simple reason that it's easier for most choirs to render beautifully and with more precision.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • madorganist
    No, it's not silent in standard Italian pronunciation. The silent p in English and Spanish is the exception actually. Please see http://forvo.com/search/psicologia/it/. I'm opting for the Italianate pronunciation. The whole point of this thread was to establish exactly what the Italinate pronunciation is in this particular case.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Hmmmm. That makes me think more about this. Perhaps that's why one sees it without the "p" when looking at the word "salmo" in Italian. Perhaps there's a distinction between regional pronunciation and between liturgical practice and words in everyday use.

Having traveled and studied briefly in Italy, I heard those words- in everyday use and in liturgical use- with the "p" silent. Now I'm wondering if I just didn't hear the soft "p" and/or whether there is more regional variety.

Your source doesn't seem to have anything to do with liturgical tradition and the ecclesial Latin pronunciation, incl the Italianate ecclesial Latin pronunciation.
    That would explain why Italians I know (and LenaH, above) would treat the initial "p" in "psallite" as silent.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GregP,
    Interesting and plausible thoughts. :)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Now I'm wondering if I just didn't hear the soft "p" and/or whether there is more regional variety.
    That's really the crux of the matter. Whether one hears (or doesn't hear) the initial soft "p" (unvoiced labial) depends upon both ones hearing acuity and on ones cultural acclimatization. As languages and/or their (regional) dialects evolve, changes in the orthography and re-(per-)ceived pronunciation of certain words occur. However, I have always "heard" or ("sensed") the "p" of "ps" in words (especially Latin words) where the /ps/ is derived from Psi, perhaps even when another person is rendering "ps" as /s/. And when I became a singer of Medieval and Renaissance music in contexts where pronunciation and diction were of importance in performance, I found that "ps" in Latin Psi-words was almost universally rendered as /ps/ rather than /s/, even in the initial position of words such as "psallite" or "psalterium" ... not just in works by Renaissance German, (Franco-)Flemish, and French composers, but also of English composers of the Renaissance.

The Italianization of Latin seems to have occurred either well after the Renaissance or at least not extended into other countries and cultures until much later. I'm not sure when (and whether it totally succeeded) Italianate Latin became pervasive in the Roman Catholic Church to the extent that it crossed borders and oceans and became a modern "standard" ... but in a country such as the United States, with its myriad mixed cultures (even within the Church), it is not surprising that there are still little (or not so little?) islands where pronunciation issues such as this are not uniformly settled.

I, for one, have the feeling that there is no sin at all nor any snickering necessary for a singer or group of singers choosing to sing "psallite" with a /ps/ instead of /s/ in early works (at least works by early composers not of the Italian school). It's a judgement call by the director of the choir, and if it needs to be put in context for the listeners (say in the form of a performance/pronunciation note in the bulletin), then it's all good.
  • MatthewRoth
    How do you do it well? I can hear it only when I’m trying to hear the sound, and I can’t make the sound...
  • madorganist
    MatthewRoth, same sound as in autopsy, epilepsy, gypsy, or upset. We do have the sound in English, just not at the beginning of words. For a good chant example, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOlAh6jY44 starting at 1:13 (thanks again to JonathanKK for posting the link above).
    Thanked by 1donr
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Pshaw.
  • CharlesW
    P-fooey.
  • Liam
    Ptomaine.

(as in Governor Lepetomane . . .)
  • That is elegant. Love his recordings- not sure why I didn't check his work sooner.

Still sticking with [s] for my choirs.

I think it's the most common in our part of the world (lots of Italians, some Brazilians, and tons of Spanish-speakers in my area) and most easily managed by a group of volunteer singers.
  • madorganist
    Good one, melofluent! I suppose /pʃ/ is as close as we get to an initial /ps/ in English. I'll take it! ;)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Psssst.
  • MatthewRoth
    Thanks. Interesting.