Pronunciation of Schola
  • Sch as in school or sh as in be quiet?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Sch as in school.
  • JesJes
    In Aus it's also sch from school! Because we draw out the a from schola so much it sounds more like scholar so it becomes really difficult to differentiate between the scholars from the Schola...
  • OP,

I would have thought that the question would be answered by the fact that the word can also be spelled scola. Sch as in school, not sch as in schedule.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Liam
    Also, as in the USA rather than UK, sch as in schedule....
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Thank you for that. I was confused for a minute..
  • MatthewRoth
    How is “schedule” pronounced in the UK?
  • Matthew:

SHED-jyule
  • Liam
    And it's SKED-yule (or SKED-yul or SKED-you-ul) in the States.
  • Can one have a schedule if one's garden is too small for a sched in which to store it?
  • Liam
    Only at Yule.
  • It is said that Field Marshal Montgomery and General Eisenhower were talking one day during the last World War, and Montgomery said something about his schedule (as in shed-jyule). Eisenhower is said gruffily to have said 'where did you learn to say skedjull like that'? To which Montgomery retorted immediately, 'why, in shool, of course!'

And, incidentally, I once encountered the scholarly ('skahlarly', not 'shahlarly') opinion that a community of fish are actually, and were originally, a shoal of fish, shoal having been corrupted into 'skool' somewhere along the way. There is a certain logic inherent in this assertion. It would take an argument of logicians to ascertain the truth of it.
  • gregpgregp
    MJO, there are actually a number of words that Old English and Old Norse inherited from Proto-Germanic, and while the Norse words kept the hard "sk" sound, Old English had softened that into "sh". English then sometimes kept both words for slightly different shades of meaning.

shirt / skirt
    ship / skiff or skipper
    shoal / school
    shoot / skeet
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Like this with an "ah" syllable at the end:

"Dipping" in high school in the '80s....good times.
  • CharlesW
    Schola - pronounced annoying.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    @Scott_W: I think there should be a concerted effort on the part of pastors to encourage the use of dipping tobacco among lukewarm Catholic gentlemen. This thereby eliminates the need of said gentlemen to nip outside for a cigar or cigarette during mass. This would more than likely proscribe their receiving communion under the kind of wine, but as we all know, only receiving under one kind is perfectly acceptable.

Another alternative might for these fellows might be "e-cigs". Nothing says "active participation of the congregation" more than seeing the thurifer's smoke mix with the vapor of the congregation. And let me tell you - the smell of incense mixed with the odor of "root beer" or "strawberry" gives a whole new meaning to the odor of sanctity. (I speak from experience. No, I am not kidding.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    I once heard from a priest-friend that back in the good-old-days there were spittoons in the Choir at St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer MA (Trappists - with the jelly). One can almost hear them spitting at the mediant at vespers: "Donec ponam inimicos tuos: * (ptew) scabellum pedum tuorum."
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • mmeladirectress
    >> Eisenhower is said gruffily to have said 'where did you learn to say skedjull like that'? To which Montgomery retorted immediately, 'why, in shool, of course!'

... 'why, in shul, of course."