Just down ( or up) the road from Lincoln, NE
  • kevinfkevinf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udf-tevwW90

The appearance of school programs such as the Most Pure Heart Schola Cantorum in Topeka, KS should give us high pause and thanks. School programs such as this are beginning to appear all over the country. While the great choir schools at the Madeleine or the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School continue their long and distinguished work, programs like this are more approachable for many parishes.

In the case of this program, Lucas Tappan is establishing a great legacy that many of us could easily do with the right support...that is the issue. Nevertheless, this program and others are erasing little by little the legacy of junk music we as Catholics have inherited these last years. I hope in five years to be doing much of the same as Lucas is and I know of others on this forum working on the same goals. This might be the great opportunity for reform and shaping the next generation.

And the best part...curriculum materials are out there for many aspects of pedagogy. Its not a make your own enterprise.

If you are working on this kind of program, post about your work here. It would be good for many of us to network. I am excited at my own prospect ( I will be creating this kind of program in FL). Thoughts about curriculum, experiences with RSCM materials or other experiences. Please share.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this and best of luck with your program! Our children's schola is completing their second year of singing with our adult schola. They sing with us about twice a month at Mass, and it has been a great deal of fun. My only wish is that we could have more practice time! We meet once a week for an hour and a half, and it isn't enough, by a long shot.

They have learned chant and also several 2- and 3-part pieces. We have a diverse age range: ages 5 to 15, so we divide into groups according to skill level during part of the practice but always make time to sing as a group.

I have found that most of the children aren't intimidated by Gregorian chant or singing in parts, but some girls are terrified to sing alone ---to the point of tears!--so we've been incorporating intensive work with rounds and canons, and they are slowly becoming more independent. Building independence and confidence has been our biggest challenge. They are the sweetest girls and can sing beautifully and perfectly, but only when they are joined at the hip with their friends, so we've been working on that aspect this year.

I'm continually amazed at how fast they learn Gregorian chant. We started by singing different Mass settings in the Kyriale, then I introduced the Introit and Communion antiphons at the end of last year, and now the schola can sing the full propers, except the verses on the Gradual and Alleluia. They take to chant like ducks to water.

We like to have them sing chant in alternatim with the adult schola. That is just a fantastic experience for them. There are so many different things you can do in combination with the adults and children. I'm just starting to realize the potential and am looking forward to next year.
  • ronkrisman
    Kevin, I too appreciate the information about the Most Pure Heart of Mary Schola Cantorum. And I wish you every success in your new position in Florida.

But, um... get yourself a good US Atlas before your move to the Sunshine State. I have never before heard someone write or say that Topeka, KS, is "just up the road from Lincoln, NE."
    Thanked by 2irishtenor eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    They're only 3 hours away from each other...

Though I've gotta be honest and play my Canadian-born card here, as I had to totally look up where both NE and KS were. If one showed me an unmarked map of the United States and played "where is this obscure state?" I would lose very badly.
  • ronkrisman
    matthewj, your lack of knowledge about US geography certainly contributed to your missing my point altogether. I was born and raised in Kansas City, KS. Kansans and Nebraskans would say that Topeka is down the road from Lincoln, not up the road.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor eft94530
  • Liam
    By contrast, Machias Maine is "down" from Portland Maine, and Provincetown Mass. is "down" from Sandwich Mass. (though one does have to be careful in confirming what someone means by "upper" vs "lower" Cape Cod as they may be From Away* and not know traditional usage.)

Because longitude, winds and sailors and all that.

* Or, in old Nantucket usage, "from America".
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • kevinfkevinf
    Actually one of my Nebraska friends said to me last week, "oh yeah, Topeka is just up the road from Lincoln." I suppose he was using that statement figuratively and not in the purest sense of direction.

I do not wish to offend either Kansas or Nebraska as I have friends in both.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • doneill
    Well, Lincoln is at a slightly higher elevation than Topeka, so Topeka would literally be "down" the road. Lucas is doing great work. In fact, there are many great things happening in general in that area of the country: Topeka/Lawrence/Kansas City/Lincoln/Omaha.

Thanked by 1eft94530