Ordination of Deacons: What music is being sung in your diocese this year?
  • advocatusadvocatus
    ORDINATION OF DEACONS
    Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas / Most Rev. Joseph Naumann, Archbishop
    Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle / Kansas City, Kansas

PRELUDE - Prelude and Fugue in G Major (Felix Mendelssohn)
    INTROIT - Psalm 17: Whoever Serves Me (Kevin Vogt)
    HYMN - O God, Beyond All Praising (THAXTED, arr. Richard Proulx)
    KYRIE - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    GLORIA - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    PSALM - Psalm 89: Forever I Will Sing (J. Robert Carroll/Joseph Gelineau, SJ)
    ALLELUIA - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    LITANY OF THE SAINTS - Missal Chant
    KISS OF PEACE - Psalm 146: Whoever Serves Me (Paul Ford)
    OFFERTORY - Whoever Would be Great Among You (Ronald A. Nelson)
    SANCTUS - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    MYSTERIUM - Missal Chant
    AMEN - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    AGNUS DEI - Te Deum Mass (Richard Proulx)
    COMMUNION - How Lovely are the Messengers (Felix Mendelssohn)
    COMMUNION - Psalm 23: My shepherd is the Lord (Joseph Gelineau, SJ)
    THANKSGIVING - Holy God, We Praise Thy Name (GROSSER GOTT)
    DISMISSAL - The Spirit of God (Lucien Deiss, CSSp)
    POSTLUDE - Sonata I: Finale (Felix Mendelssohn)

The Archdiocesan Choir of Kansas City in Kansas / Sursum Corda Polyphony
    Dr. Kevin Vogt, choirmaster
    Ms. Laura Rau, organist
    Thanked by 2BruceL ValerieOestry
  • Chaswjd
    Sadly, nothing. We only have one candidate this year who is studying in Rome. His diaconal ordination will occur there.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Ours takes place on Corpus Christi.

Voluntary in A Minor, Stanley
    O Jesus We Adore Thee, LCH
    Cibavit eos, GR
    Kyrie from Missa Quarti Toni, Victoria
    Gloria VIII
    Psalm LCM
    Ecce Panis Angelorum, GR
    Alleluia, LCM
    Litany of Supplication
    Vesting antiphon, Mode IV
    Kiss of Peace, Mode II
    Offertory, LCM
    Jesu the Very Thought of Thee, Bairstow
    Sanctus VIII
    Agnus Dei VIII
    Qui Manducat, GR
    Pange Lingua more Hispano, Victoria
    O Sacrum Convivium, Bartolucci
    Jesus My Lord, My God, My All LCH
    Voluntary in D Major, Stanley
    Thanked by 1advocatus
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I've never heard of the Proulx Te Deum Mass. Is it currently published? I would presume through GIA, but I only find an assembly card (with no PDF preview) on their website.
    Thanked by 1advocatus
  • Bobby Bolin
    I have a copy with the old translation. Has it been redone?
    Thanked by 1advocatus
  • advocatusadvocatus
    The Te Deum Mass was published by GIA as a version for cantor and congregation with accompaniment in Four Masses for Cantor, Assembly, and Organ, G-5537. The unaccompanied SATB version was initially commissioned by St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne, Australia, and completed with a commission by Saint Cecilia Cathedral in Omaha, Nebraska, during my tenure there. The completed setting was premiered at the 2002 Regional NPM Convention in Omaha. It was engraved by GIA in 2004 as G-5345, but never published since the new translation was pending.

The Te Deum Mass is the fourth in a series of Proulx's Masses based on plainsong themes, along with the Missa Emmanuel (G-3489), Corpus Christi Mass (G-3693, and Paschal Mass (G-5043). All of these Masses are of the "instant music" variety, in which intonations of the cantor teach the congregation its parts as the music progresses. In the other three Masses, the choir creates a "sonic halo" around the congregational melodies. In the Te Deum Mass, however, the choir sings large parts of the text (on behalf of the whole assembly) in substantial polyphonic textures. It is both a revival and a fulfillment of the "Missa cum populo genre of the 1950s and 1960s, which attempted both to conserve the value of sacred polyphony and embrace liturgical reform. Proulx achieved in this Mass a balance between "sacred art" music and "ritual-functional" music that perhaps could only have been achieved by someone whose career spanned the pre- and post-conciliar era, whose musical craft was fully developed and grounded in the polyphonic tradition, and whose judgement was tempered by decades of pastoral experience coaxing one-time congregations to sing and participate in the "quintalogue" (a term coined by RP) that is the performative modality of the reformed liturgy.

My colleague Laura Rau is currently researching and writing a DMA document on this very topic, and having worked closely with Richard on the editing of the version premiered in Omaha, I have myself undertaken the revision of the Te Deum Mass according to the 2010 Roman Missal translation. This is no Mozart-Süssmeyer situation; every note is pure Proulx. I plan to finish the engraving of the revision this summer. God (and GIA!) willing, this remarkable Mass will see the light of day soon. I will keep you posted.

Dr. Kevin Vogt
    Director of Sacred Liturgy, Music and Art
    St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church
    Leawood, Kansas
  • ronkrisman
    Thank you, Kevin.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    That would be great!