Are we required to sing?
  • doneill
    As I was teaching a music class today, I was struggling with the issue that we still do not have full participation. A few of them don't even open their mouths. So I said something along these lines: "God created us all here with the ability to sing. Therefore, if you are not singing, you are not fulfilling your God-given potential. Also, considering that your very bodies actually soak up sound, if you are not contributing, all you are doing by standing there is sucking up everybody else's good efforts. Thus, it's not just that you choose not to participate. You are actually harming everybody else, and we definitely do not want to act like that in a Catholic school."

I have often wondered if it is a problem that we so often use language like "invite" and "encourage." After all, all invitations can be refused. Is it not so much an invitation as an obligation? It's easy enough in school, because I can simply dock grades when they don't participate. How many times have you heard the comment that people will sing if they like the music? But shouldn't people sing even if they don't like the music (I have certainly done plenty of that), because liking or disliking something is irrelevant? Whether or not it is universally good and fitting for the liturgy is an entirely different matter. How have others handled this kind of language?
  • donr
    We just had First Holy Communion in our church. There were 78 children receiving for the first time. During the rehearsal, I asked the children if they were Catholic? They all said yes!!! Then I told them that as Catholics we have a duty to sing and to sing loud, that we join our voices with the Angels in heaven every time we sing.
    I have to say that we could hear the children in the Nave, singing loud and clear from all the way in the loft. I could hear them singing over the choir and the organ.
    They got the message.
  • SalieriSalieri
    donr: let's just hope that some pious ninny hasn't chastised them after the fact for disrupting the proceedings. I've witnessed that.
  • I don't have the time to fulminate at length against the position here enunciated, so I'll have to be brief. I find the ideas and the manner of their presentation misguided. Pope Pius XII agrees with me, and I've quoted him many times in these pages. Only in the present age is this standard upheld in such a manner.
  • CharlesW
    We give folks the opportunity to sing. However, no one can make them sing and nothing in church law requires it or binds under sin those who don't sing.
    Thanked by 2CCooze Steve Collins
  • francis
    except for the dialogues and ordinary, and a hymn here or there, singing is better for cantors and choir
  • Are we required to sing?
    Did anyone ever ask before attending a sporting event, 'are we required to cheer?'
    Both questions are highly amusing and ab surdum.
    Singing at mass, or cheering at the sporting event are just naturally occurring responses to the ritual or the sport.
    What mentality is it that asks 'are we required'?

One sings, not because one is required, but because 'I was glad when they said unto me we will go into the house of the Lord'. This doesn't register, though, for those who are in the Lord's house just to fulfill their 'obligation' and don't wish to be otherwise imposed upon.

Singing is an intellectual and emotional (even a moral) response to gladness for being where one is -
    to the love one has is one's heart for God, the Eucharist, and one's fellows -
    to the joy one has for the gifts of God and his manifest love -
    to the prayer which can be expressed but with pitiful inadequacy other than by song -
    to the power and beauty of song itself, as well as of particular song -
    to the delightful aedification of assimilating the words of the ordinary, the hymn, etc. -
    to so many other things that one could list, though one will stop here.

Requirement doesn't enter in. It is of concern only to one with a very wrong and negative attitude about the nature of communal worship and ritual. It is of concern only to those who are 'there' only because they 'have to be', because they are fulfilling their 'obligation'. This is a frequently encountered attitude in a Church which is preoccupied with law and obligation, which maintains (to a great degree) a culture of passive observance of ritual that one attends out of 'obligation', not love, not because one absolutely adores and is thrilled about the mass and fulfilling one's part in this most beautiful, profound, and miraculous communal activity in all of history and all the world.

Most people who don't sing are victims of a very unfortunate and dismally uncatechised state of mind. There are times, though, when certain other persons just really don't have it in them to sing at a particular time. They may be depressed. They may be grieving. They may be experiencing any of a number of problems and complications in their lives. These things, though, are not permanent. And these are not the ones who are absolutely determined that they will not sing.
  • doneill
    Note that I said nothing about what elements the people, or choir or cantor should sing. That's not at stake. I don't see that anything I said contradicts anything said in an official document, even if it is not explicitly mentioned. In fact, I think it's very much rooted in the Catholic view of the Imago Dei What I am essentially saying is that we as the people who choose music are not responsible for getting people to sing. Nothing we can do can force them to do that. I am saying that the primary responsibility lies with them. If they refuse to participate, it's not my fault.
  • doneill
    Jackson, your and donr's comments are a much more positive spin on the matter, which, as you indicate, is a much better teaching method and more productive. Thank you, and you are correct. Just one reaction, though - can we not have obligation because we love?
  • doneill
    My apologies - I was bristling today at some requirements set before me, so what do I do but set requirements for others? Nice one. I promise I am usually more encouraging and positive in my teaching, and I appreciate the feedback.
  • CharlesW
    I certainly am not against singing. But I can think of reasons why people do not sing at a given time in a given place.

The parts or even melodies are out of range for many in the congregation. It happens.
    The organist is "showing off" with descants and harmonies to the point it throws the singers off.
    The hymns change too often and are never learned.
    The singers are older and have breathing difficulties. I don't expect those attached to oxygen canisters to sing. Some can barely talk.
    The music selected is so awful it can barely be endured, much less sung.
    Florence Foster Jenkins the cantor is destroying the psalm and hymns.
    Fr. Pavarotti with his wireless mic is drowning everyone else out.
    Time can ruin voices to the point singing is difficult and no longer enjoyable.
    The hymnal itself is garbage and should be thrown out.

There are many other reasons that not only keep people from singing, but turn them against church music in general. Jackson assumes all are robust, in perfect health, and still in their twenties with the best of materials and excellent musical leadership. Not so in many places! It can be a wonder that anyone wants to sing at all in some parishes.

• IanWIanW
    Join the Ordinariate.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • CharlesW
    Join the Ordinariate.

Not even an option in this part of the world. There is a former Episcopal priest interested in starting an Ordinariate parish. However, ECUSA in this area is more like the Scottish church - not surprising since the original 18th-century settlers were Scottish, and highly Calvinistic. They are pretty much low church and less like the Anglicans. While I like the Ordinariate, it is tiny in comparison to other rites. How much and how fast it will grow is anyone's guess.

I am Byzantine and unlikely to join anything Latin Rite or an offshoot of it. I merely work for them and give them money.

• Reval
    Lately I have wondered about "family culture". Maybe some kids grow up noticing "my family doesn't sing (in church)". I certainly notice at Mass, some whole families just don't sing. Probably they think my family is weird for singing! Maybe some parents say - - "can't you see the lady with the microphone? She's supposed to be the one singing."
    We can try all we want in school and church, but kids may be getting a very different message from home. Or someone may have told them the dreaded "you can't carry a tune in a bucket".
    Maybe it makes a difference if the family is of German descent, for instance, versus the "non-singing" culture that I won't name...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Who knows if ancestry plays a part? Some cultures seem to sing more than others. I suspect singing takes a second or third place to the more interesting content on smart phones. Perhaps? Looking down from the loft, I see many looking at those phones and not just the younger people. It is clear they don't want to be there and are eager for the mass to end.
  • fcbfcb
    To my mind, refusing to sing at Mass is kind of like refusing to sing "Happy Birthday" at someone's birthday party. There may well be good reasons not to do it (a vocal affliction), but "I've never liked that song" or "I don't have a good singing voice" are not generally considered to be among them. And others who are there might be forgiven if they take it as a sign that you are uninterested in or even resistant to showing your respect for the guest of honor.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have the policy: All may; some should; none must. (Well, except the choir, they must at all times!)
  • I have a friend who was reprimanded by a teacher because he was "singing the hymns to loudly at mass". Long time ago, but I was annoyed beyond belief! Donr's comment was perfect, maybe we should tell that to our silent congregation (they barely even say the responses, it is just sit, stand, sit, stand, sit, stand, etc.)
  • CharlesW
    And others who are there might be forgiven if they take it as a sign that you are uninterested in or even resistant to showing your respect for the guest of honor.

After convincing the priests, deacons, cantors, liturgists and other lesser and assorted flunkies surrounding the altar that they are NOT the guests of honor. Musicians can be a bit full of themselves, too. I can understand a parishioner thinking it is all something to be endured, not enjoyed or participated in. There is a real problem in too many places, but I am the first to admit I can't change it.

I am the DM/Organist, not the singing police. As I mentioned earlier on, I provide an opportunity to sing materials that are "singable" for the congregation and suitable for worship. I can't make them do much of anything, although our congregational singing is actually pretty good. I often hear it over the organ which to me, is a good sign.
    Thanked by 1Mary Ann
  • francis
    I refuse to sing at Mass because the Hymnal is Gather IV... and the worst selections are chosen. Even the Ordinary ditties are the worst. I pray the rosary at Mass.
  • ryandryand
    Our Auxulilary Bishop made a surprising remark after Confirmation last weekend. From what I know of him, I'd think that everybody-singing-all-the-time would be a priority, yet he told one of our deacons:

"The church calls us toward active participation, but this can simply be internal. Even if we are just hearing the choir sing, but we are attentive and praying with them, we are participating."

Such sentiments are "preaching to the choir" on this forum, but I find it encouraging that these things are taking root in the current generations of church hierarchy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I contend that the question can only elicit responses founded upon "Stuff I like, stuff I don't like."
    On the rare occasions I get a busman's holiday and can attend a Sunday/Holy Day Mass elsewhere, off the job, I will sing with few caveat emptors. Why? The Psalms. Yes, Jesus loves them, yes we must sing them, no matter if I like them, the Bible tells me so. What are some notable exceptions I've found?
    *When musicians choose music (such as praise choruses) that are so obtuse, and not shared in a hymnbook or handout, that it's pointless to try and wing it.
    *When there is obvious, demonstrable error in the text, eg. "Anthem...Let us break bread....I myself, am the BoL....etc.
    *When the absence of media for unknown Mass settings and hymnody precludes a harmonious rendition.

Regarding those who fashion themselves unable to sing congregationally: So? We all have imperfections when we sing to some degree. However, as I say to congregations, e'er so rarely, God's "ears" are perfect, and in His omni-benevolence simply loves to hear each and everyone of us sing our love and praise of Him to Him. Who are we to deny Him that?
  • Charles W, your list is golden.
    And I love your line about not being the singing police.

Broadly speaking, we've gotten quite nutty in our pursuit of fcap.
    Much like cheering for a favorite team, or making a standing ovation, singing our prayers is a natural outgrowth of engagement. Some people can't or don't want to cheer or stand for an ovation. Let it be. Accept it.

We can remove obstacles, we can and should foster devotion in our selection and performance of sacred music. But we simply can't make everyone sing. We weren't meant to.

And as long as I stand on my soapbox... and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, truly...

What's up with the busybody tendency to look and listen to what everyone else is doing during the sacred liturgy? What's up with some pro liturgists and some musicians bemoaning everything the (other) faithful are- or aren't- doing? All that time and energy is wasted!

Sure, notice what's going on. Then think about what YOU can do to foster more devotion that might lead to more singing. Then accept the fruits, many of which you will never know or see! Accept that and look forward to your reward in heaven.

Are you not able to implement things that you think would help, even things the Church is asking... and you're hampered by the powers that be in your cathedral/parish/chapel? Then do what you can, and/or look for another position if the situation doesn't provide opportunities for development. Very few things will speed you to burnout like obsessing about fcap.
  • CharlesW
    What's up with the busybody tendency to look and listen to what everyone else is doing during the sacred liturgy?

I know! I wonder how the lookers and listeners get any worship done, themselves.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Singing Mum,
    Heck yeah! What you said.
    We invite 'em, that's it. What they do is their biz.
  • doneill
    What's up with the busybody tendency to look and listen to what everyone else is doing during the sacred liturgy? What's up with some pro liturgists and some musicians bemoaning everything the (other) faithful are- or aren't- doing? All that time and energy is wasted!

Yes, thanks for this reminder. I have caught myself doing this as well, but as I tell any kid who complains, "Dr. O'Neill, ... is bothering me by ...." "Well, just ignore him and focus on your own behavior."

It is a challenge for musicians, who have dedicated copious amounts of time just to the skills of listening and observing, to shut that off completely, but when it comes time for the liturgy, that's exactly what we should do.

Keep in mind, too, that the original post referred to choir class, in which there would be a reasonable expectation to sing, and where we should be listening, observing, and encouraging them to fulfill their God-given potential.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Pardon a noob, but what is fcap?

Also, I've noticed quite a few priests take the William James psychological approach to congregational singing - it isn't that the congregation is singing because they are happy, they're happy because they are singing. So if they're not singing, active participation isn't working. (Wait, is fcap "full conscious active participation"?)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Pardon a noob, but what is fcap?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_en.html

See paragraph 14 first sentence.
    You do not need to read paragraphs 1 - 13 and 15 - 130.
    Especially not paragraph 30.
  • Doneill,
    You're right that the expectations are different in a singing class, and also different depending on what kind of class.
    Questions that come to my mind:
    Is the class you mention in the first part of your post a parish class, or a community class?
    How big is the group?
    Basic demographics/ mixed generations?
    Do they sing on their own?
    How much time is given to vocal exercises in the warm up period?
    What is the repertoire?

Also, do you hold a doctorate in music? Vocal performance, vocal pedagogy, choral conducting? Trying to get a picture of your professional perspective as you teach a singing class.
  • francis
    ...I immediately went and read ONLY paragraph 30. I can't UNREAD it. HELP ME!
    Thanked by 3eft94530 donr CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    The supposed obligation to sing simply isn't there if you read the church's documents, and certainly isn't found in the church's liturgical tradition. And that's a darn good thing that's very often forgotten, especially in the troubled times we find ourselves in right now.

I usually attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form. I am in the schola again, but for months shortly before and after my wedding, I cleared my schedule and obligations as much as possible, and that included stopping singing for that time.

When I am in the pews, I sometimes (along with others) join the schola on the ordinary (especially the credo), the marian antiphon, and hymn at the end. Not to mention the dialogues, which everyone sings heartily.

However, I certainly don't always sing. Sometimes my voice is tired and I don't want to strain myself. Sometimes I'm just a bit groggy (mass is at 7:30am after all) and know I'm not going to be able to sing well, and will distract myself and others. Sometimes I even have things that are weighing me down, and I'd prefer to quietly contemplate, and not open my mouth at all, except at the rail.

Here's the thing: you're there to unite yourself to the representation of the Lord's ultimate sacrifice on Calvary, not for a hymn sing. Singing alone can not unite you to Our Lord. Singing can be an assistance to this goal, and I generally encourage people to know and embrace our musical heritage as Catholics (most notably, the kyriale). But I would never go so far as to impose any sort of obligation, outside the loft of course.
  • dad29
    The music selected is so awful it can barely be endured, much less sung.

yup
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CCooze
  • donr
    Tell me if I am wrong headed here but I believe the whole purpose of the full active participation was to allow the people to understand more what was going on in the Liturgy instead of just going to Mass and saying the rosary or twittling your thumbs the whole time while no one could even understand the Latin or hear the prayers being said.
    So I believe the concept was to convert to the vernacular so that the peeps could fully and actively participate (understanding and responding), not just going through the motions.
    So just to walk in to a N.O. Mass and actually understand it goes a long way to actively participate.
    I do know plenty of people who still don't pay attention.
  • chonakchonak
    FCAP wasn't invented in 1964.

It was mentioned numerous times in Mediator Dei, 1947. For example:

78. The cooperation of the faithful is required so that sinners may be individually purified in the blood of the Lamb. For though, speaking generally, Christ reconciled by His painful death the whole human race with the Father, He wished that all should approach and be drawn to His cross, especially by means of the sacraments and the eucharistic sacrifice, to obtain the salutary fruits produced by Him upon it. Through this active and individual participation, the members of the Mystical Body not only become daily more like to their divine Head, but the life flowing from the Head is imparted to the members, so that we can each repeat the words of St. Paul, "With Christ I am nailed to the cross: I live, now not I, but Christ liveth in me." We have already explained sufficiently and of set purpose on another occasion, that Jesus Christ "when dying on the cross, bestowed upon His Church, as a completely gratuitous gift, the immense treasure of the redemption. But when it is a question of distributing this treasure, He not only commits the work of sanctification to His Immaculate Spouse, but also wishes that, to a certain extent, sanctity should derive from her activity."

The focus is not on liturgical actions by themselves, but on the _mystery being celebrated_: the faithful "should approach and be drawn to His cross ... by means of ... the eucharistic sacrifice".

The 1958 Instruction De musica sacra et sacra liturgia summarized the ideas expressed in Mediator Dei about FCAP, as it applies to music. (I'll trim this down for brevity.)

a. General principles regarding the participation of the faithful:

22. By its very nature, the Mass requires that all present take part in it, each having a particular function.

a) Interior participation is the most important; this consists in paying devout attention, and in lifting up the heart to God in prayer. In this way the faithful "are intimately joined with their High Priest...and together with Him, and through Him offer (the Sacrifice), making themselves one with Him".

b) The participation of the congregation becomes more complete, however, when, in addition to this interior disposition, exterior participation is manifested by external acts, such as bodily position (kneeling, standing, sitting), ceremonial signs, and especially responses, prayers, and singing.

[...]

When the papal documents treat of "active participation" they are speaking of this general participation, of which the outstanding example is the priest, and his ministers who serve at the altar with the proper interior dispositions, and carefully observe the rubrics, and ceremonies.

c) Active participation is perfect when "sacramental" participation is included. In this way "the people receive the Holy Eucharist not only by spiritual desire, but also sacramentally, and thus obtain greater benefit from this most holy Sacrifice".

[...]

23. The primary end of general participation is the more perfect worship of God, and the edification of the faithful. [...]
  • Many thanks for the above, Chonak.

It is evident from the above that, in the mind of the Church, singing constitutes one expected manner of participation, and that full participation constitutes bodily gesture, inward prayer, mental apprehension, active listening, a heart lifted up (sursum corda), and the singing of all in those particular parts which pertain to them, be they schola, choir, cantor, clerks, or 'the faithful' - not to mention olfactory delight, and visual and aural splendour! To the degree to which anyone fails to participate actively through all these manners of participation he or she is not actively participating, and is, therefore, neither 'faithful', neither comprehending, nor thankful (truly offering eucharist). The Church clearly desires the whole person to participate in whatever capacity, lay, clerk, or choral musician, is appropriate to him or her at any given moment of the liturgical act.

Clearly, the participation police who plague us nowadays have got it all wrong, and, in having done so, have done immeasurable damage to a proper and fully appropriate celebration of mass in actual accordance with the wishes of Vatican II or any other expression of the Church's mind. But, at the other extreme we have those male and female persons of all ages who just aren't going to do their part. And, I am not talking about those who may be depressed, grieving, troubled deeply; nor about Charles' folks who get through their days on oxygen tanks, which hardly is an excuse for the vast majority of those who glue their lips shut before they come to mass - but manage to open them easily enough to chatter when they wish before and after mass.

These words may seem strong to some, so I should hasten to add that, truly, I am not presuming to judge what is in anyone's heart. We all wish wisely to be free of that grievous sin. We do know, though, that we have a serious 'participation' problem in large parts of the Church, whether it is the idiotic madness of the participation police, the cretinesque things in which people are expected to participate, or the apparent indifference of those who just seem to be warming eighteen inches of a pew. (Some of these folks are not content not to participate themselves, they have been known even to glare and stare at those who do!)

• CharlesW
    One of the major problems is trying to make rules for participation. They aren't needed, in the first place. In the second place, they give the busybodies of the parish something to do instead of focusing on worship. I think the old saw of minding your own business and letting others do the same works even to this day. As I mentioned earlier, as a musician I provide opportunities for singing. Whether or not the congregation takes ownership of those opportunities is beyond my control.

... or the seeming indifference of those who just seem to be warming eighteen inches of a pew.

Eighteen inches of pew? You clearly haven't stood behind some of the faithful. You are being kind in that some take up much more space than that. Maybe you were actually worshipping and not watching. Let's just say that some of them cast a wide shadow. LOL

• PaxMelodious
    Wise priests I know have noticed that when people do sing together, they are more likely to bond as a community, and to live out their faith during times outside liturgy. That's why they encourage situations where everyone sings - and don't care so much about the musical quality: God is a loving Father who is please by all his children's efforts, not just by those who "should" be doing whatever.
  • sesm_srjsesm_srj
    The fact that Scripture commands it is somewhat telling. However, the Catholic liturgy is a dialogue (actually a trialogue in places), so there are times when it is not required to sing. I don't ask the students to sing while procession to Holy Communion or immediately afterwards. So, the answer is yes and no. :)
  • CharlesW
    "Community" is one of those things that can be run into the ground. I have a friend who tells me that the perfect time to visit the restroom and go get a drink is right before the exchange of peace. The perfect time to come back is during the Lamb of God. Clearly, he is not fond of enforced and artificial community, or sharing "Oprah" moments with his neighbors. I understand how he feels. When I am there, I am at the organ console, and don't have time to deal with glad-handers, so it doesn't affect me personally. Offer opportunities and occasions for "community," but leave folks alone and let them decide to what degree they want to participate.

Another of my Eastern Rite friends often attends Divine Liturgy and receives the Holy Gifts before attending a Latin Rite mass with friends and family. He says he gets glared at when he doesn't participate in the row-by-row communion which is common in Latin parishes. We Byzantines receive once per day at most, and are not interested in multiple communions. That's not our tradition. Too much "community" in this instance.

I think the "being in your neighbor's face" all the time and calling it community is something from the touchy-feely sixties. We have grown up a bit since then, I hope, and can be more rational. Genuine community is helping your neighbor if a tree branch falls on his house, seeing he has food when he is too ill to care for himself, or even watching his children when he is distracted by a family crisis. It is not just "sharing the peace" with the annoying person next to you - or worse. Some places, they almost jump pews to reach each other. Go figure!
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz tomjaw
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It's worth reiterating one of Mahrt's signature maxims that is in concert with Chonak's wise observation AND St. Pio X's motu, namely that it is the celebrant's duty to compel or propel FCAP via chanted orations....always (at least on Sundays/Holy Days.) This then becomes a matter of will, not wont. How many of us know that in parishes where the 70's mentality bred into priests at seminary that determined the singing of the Pater Noster excludes those "who don't like to sing" from "participation," the few opportunities they do get to chant it provides for a roof-raising rendition of it every single time? No small wonder it's first in the PIPs MS taxonomy. And if a celebrant cries "Foul, I can't carry a tune!", call it out and send him to Meloche for waterboarding in "recto tono." I have a tone-deef deacon who has no problem with reciting tone use.
    But as in many aspects of clerical absence, this solution is abrogated by "I don't wanna do it, period."
  • CharlesW
    In our parish, one priest always sings the "Our Father" and the other one never does. So we sing it half the time. The congregation has no problems with singing it.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    We're in the same situation, Charles: one does, one doesn't. We too end up singing half the time, though enthusiastically.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • We Byzantines receive once per day at most...not interested in multiple communions.

I had been taught long ago, whilst yet an Anglican, that one should not receive more than once a day.
  • CharlesW

I had been taught long ago, whilst yet an Anglican, that one should not receive more than once a day.

There is a rule in the east that an altar may not be used more than once per day, at most. That prevents multiple masses. We also concelebrate when more than one priest is in attendance. As a practical matter, we rarely have weekday masses in most churches, so it isn't an issue.
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Let me offer a thought on this topic not directly related to the Liturgy, could a factor also be the fact that people outside of Liturgy don't sing that much anymore as "amateurs". You don't see singing society or even small bands or groups of folks who sing for their own entertainment. Think about home parlors of the past with pianos where people would enjoy someone playing and folks singing along, or even small bands of amateurs musicians and vocalists that might play at wedding or social events. With the advent of recorded music and even more so digital music we leave the singing to the professionals, this erodes our desire and ability to sing as "amateurs" even if it is out of an expression of joy and/or praise because people simply don't know how to sing and are not comfortable with singing. In addition it also increases our intolerance for less that "perfect" music which is often heard in the typically Catholic Parish today.
  • doneill
    Let me attempt to clarify more. I am not talking specifically about singing in the liturgy. My fundamental question is this: as humans created in the image of God who all have the capability of singing (barring a physical affliction), are those who do not sing somehow short of their God-given potential? Are they missing out on that joy? And do we as a Catholic society have an obligation to build up that singing culture as much as possible, to help them discover that joy? I don't have the answers, but it has proven to be an interesting discussion. I would say, however, that many clergy, liturgists, and musicians tend to put responsibility in the wrong place. So many of us are prone to the quick fixes, rather than focusing on building up the long-term singing culture. Rather than being a rah-rah congregational singing cheerleader, perhaps we should be actually teaching people how to sing and read music, and it starts in the schools.
  • CharlesW
    ...could a factor also be the fact that people outside of Liturgy don't sing that much anymore as "amateurs"

I think so. When I was young - when the Indians were riding around the school yelling - we sang quite a bit. Now, the hymns are in lower keys than back then, even though we sailed up to those high notes with no difficulty. Congregations don't seem able to do that anymore.

And do we as a Catholic society have an obligation to build up that singing culture as much as possible, to help them discover that joy?

I think we try to build up that culture. But after 50 years in this business, I think many in and out of the pews think we are irrelevant. If they have earbuds in their ears during mass, it a sure thing they are not listening to us. Or worse, they are trying to drown us out.

• ryandryand
    960 x 714 - 120K
  • Totally agree about building up a singing culture and starting in the schools.

Seems like we are so used to being entertained as a culture that we've lost a sense of being able to make our own entertainment. That joy (and sorrow and everything else) expressed in popular song via aural tradition has largely disappeared from family and communal life. It's a good reminder to go for more music nights in my own family.

Praising God with our voices is indeed a gift that we can render back to God. "Since God has given breath to me, I will return it with a song."
  • MaryAnn is absolutely right! There are few things more sad in our culturally impoverished land than the absence of song as a resident joy in the majority of our people. There are some qualifications here. I think that most people actually can sing the unfortunate drivel that they hear on television, the internet, films, Broadway, and radio - very little of it worthy of human dignity, the vast majority of it stupefying to the mind.

Gone, far gone, are the days when families gathered around their parlour piano and sang, or played their various instruments. In fact, we know all to well, that what with the advent of teen culture and the allure of night life, family interaction has suffered badly for many. Yes, many have become observers of professionals and do very little themselves to entertain themselves.

On the other hand. Most schools and high schools and universities have flourishing choirs, orchestras, and bands. Many have music classes. Many youth are involved in musical ensembles of one sort or another. So, it's questionable whether the general populace is as musically illiterate as we sometimes think. This may be a handy excuse. The better question is: why aren't these people singing in church? They can and do sing whenever and whatever they wish. Perhaps they don't see their faith as anything to sing about. I hope this is not true, for it would be sad, indeed. A determined and purposeful catechesis is needed throughout the Church which will enlist people's hearts and minds, inspire them to the point that they spontaneously sing without those characters at microphones who believe themselves to be indispensable to the people singing. They are a detriment to anyone with an ounce of self respect and intelligence (aside from being a shameless liturgical distraction). I'm sure that many on this forum have no more need of these musical poseurs than we do at Walsingham. People just know when to sing when they are given service folders and precedence is set.
  • tomjaw
    This...
    The better question is: why aren't these people singing in church?

Because the music is of poor quality, I know quite a few professional musicians that have attended Mass in some parishes for years and never once volunteered for the choir. This comment below, is what I do on those rare occasions when I am away from my usual parish,

I refuse to sing at Mass because the Hymnal is Gather IV... and the worst selections are chosen. Even the Ordinary ditties are the worst. I pray the rosary at Mass.
    Thanked by 2David Deavy CHGiffen