Looking for Orchestra Parts
  • JacobFlahertyJacobFlaherty
    Can anybody out there help me by sharing particular orchestra parts? We are looking for Schubert's Mass in G TRUMPET parts and WOODWINDS (Flutes) parts. Please let me know if we can borrow them from you. I know they are on JW Pepper, (http://www.jwpepper.com/10494646.item#.VykV04-cGdJ), but we need them a little more quickly than they might otherwise come...

Thanks! God bless you!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hmm, the Schubert Mass No. 2 in G major, D.167, is scored for 4-part voices, strings & organ. Any flute or trumpet parts must be editorial additions/arrangements, as they are not in the original published score (which together with parts is available at IMSLP).
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • a_f_hawkins
    CPDL says
    Instruments: 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass, organ, 2 trumpets in D, timpani; parts for 2 oboes (or clarinets) and 2 bassoons added by Ferdinand Schubert.
    not that this helps find them.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have never heard of woodwinds for Schubert in G. The original is strings and organ, and there are trumpet and drum parts that were added later. They are preserved at Klosterneuburg, and may possibly be by Schubert himself, since the score in general shows some changes that scholars think reflect Schubert's final thoughts, but there are no wind parts. (Though I suppose it would be pretty simple to have colla parte oboes and bassoons.)
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    The winds could have been added as colla parte, to double the singers' parts. We've done in on a couple of Masses that the score did not include these instruments. I think it would be within accepted historical bounds with Schubert.
    Thanks, all! From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_No._2_(Schubert)

"Furthermore, Schubert's brother Ferdinand also wrote parts for woodwinds, brass and timpani in response to the work's great popularity."
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I suppose the question is, "At what point or to what extent do these additions by Ferdinand Schubert turn Franz Schubert's work into something else?" This was a major problem with Anton Bruckner's symphonies, notably with the changes and emendations by the brothers Schalk, which rendered some of the master's symphonies a pale imitation of the his original intent.
  • SalieriSalieri
    You mean like Mozart's hideous additions to Messiah?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, those, too.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
    Leave it to Salieri to criticize Mozart. He-he! (I'm just kidding, btw... - You know, the movie Amadeus.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Jes
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanked by 1Jes
    YES!!!!