Bono, U2, and "The Edge"...
  • "The Edge, lead guitarist with the Irish band U2, has become the first rock star to play in the Sistine Chapel..."

Here's the article:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-cancer-edge-idUSKCN0XS189
  • doneill
    Skirting the issue of whether the music itself is appropriate for a concert in a sacred space (and it's interesting that he calls it a "parish hall") - considering that this was for a conference of a select group of people, does it violate the rules governing concerts in churches, in that it was only available to people who paid to be at the conference? Church concerts are supposed to be free and open to all. Surely there was another space where he could have performed. Why the Sistine Chapel?
    Thanked by 2BruceL eft94530
  • Doniell,

This concert (and others like it) is the logical consequence of Pope Francis' papacy.

How long, O Lord?
  • BruceL
    doneill, the "select few" concert thing is a big issue. It's pretty Protestant, but yet it happens frequently in many (Catholic) venues all around the world. Paid tickets in a consecrated space is even worse.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "select few" ... pretty Protestant,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • BruceL
    I have been unintentionally punning, etc., like crazy the last week or two. It must be time to get awayyyyyyy
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This, ahem, sucks. Having (just) been there during regular cattle call hours, all the docents shussing folks to keep reverence, which of course is counterproductive (hushing), I don't know of a single chorister who wouldn't give a gonad to sing twenty measures of Sicut cervus in that environment. I wonder if "Da Edge" bothered to take off his beanie cap?
    I'm not done.
    When we celebrated Mass in the St. John 23 chapel within San Pietro, we were smart enough to plan simple chants, familiar hymns and sing responses as tradition mandates, a capella. I did witness a silly priest try to bring his guitar into the basilica, which was promptly dismissed to the bowels' storage by an unfortunate female parishioner, apparently. That was amusing.
    Not so amusing is even the concept of a rock guitarist sharing space with the renovated Capella Sixtina. No, I'm not happy, and I'm a pretty solid guitarist.
    I'm still not done (third PS.) At the Wednesday audience we attended a Polish "ensemble" called "American Circus" comprised of lycra-leotarded teen girls and overweight 30-something guys did cheerleading routines along with clownish tricks before HHF. They finaled with a massive line dance set to Van Halen's "Jump." It was astonishing. I said to myself "what the hell" and started shredding air guitar.
    Francis applauded and lauded them for their dedication to "practice." Such grace to practice to Van Halen so as to honor a pope in the piazza.
    I'm done now.
  • MatthewRoth
    Melo, we did P&W stuff at the altar of the Chair of St. Peter... I’m not sure at that Mass we sang Mass XVIII. Go figure in Rome we didn’t use the Canon Romanus.

There are all sorts of problems with this concert.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "select few" ... pretty Protestant,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have been unintentionally punning,

It was really the face value of this statement that I found so hilarious.
    Or rather, the notion that anyone would make that claim.
  • Doniell,

This concert (and others like it) is the logical consequence of Pope Francis' papacy.

How long, O Lord?
  • chonakchonak
    It may be tempting to blame this on the "Francis effect", but the Pontifical Council "for" Culture has been arranging rock performances as cultural happenings during the previous two papacies. Famously (or notoriously) Bob Dylan performed before Pope St. John Paul II at the Eucharistic Congress in Bologna in 1997.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen
  • Chonak,

Fair enough. Neither Francis (a Jesuit) nor John Paul (a thespian) seemed to have any sense about how corrosive the misuse of a sacred space or a sacred liturgy could be. The difference, in my mind, is that John Paul wrote and said the right thing, even as his M.C. ran liturgies contrariwise, while Francis is taking a wrecking ball to all such as he should preserve.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Um, anybody give me chapter and verse on when the guidelines came in that changed this? Just wondering.
  • doneill
    Patti Smith performed at the Vatican Christmas concert, but it was held at the Auditorium Conciliazione, as I would assume most concerts there are.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    John Paul (a thespian)

I read in NCR that because of Amoris Laetitia, this is okay now.

WHO AM I TO JUDGE?
  • SalieriSalieri
    a_f_hawkins: I'm not sure if you're being slightly snarky or not. (And apologies in advance if I am reading too much into your post.) The only thing wrong that I see in that painting is that the verger wasn't doing his job to keep the dogs out, which was a problem the world over until dog licensing and leash laws came into effect. Other than that, people are hearing Low Mass at one of the side altars or otherwise making devotions, and the poor are seeking alms. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Strictly speaking, "select few" is Calvinist. :-P
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m surprised no one that I know of brought up that ECUSA church that had a “U2charist” service...
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Some of us are still trying to forget it, Matt. :$
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that ECUSA church that had a “U2charist” service

That was not an isolated event.
    Thanked by 1eft94530