Finally, I found a church that does Sacred Music Properly!
  • St. Michael's Cathedral in Toronto. They chant all the propers of the mass, and they do all the verses of the hymn. They are connected with St. Michael's Choir School, just right beside the cathedral. It is the only choir school left in Canada.

Anyone else heard this choir in mass?
  • canadashcanadash
    Yes, I've attended Mass at the Cathedral. I didn't know the choirs chanted all of the propers. I did not hear that at the last Mass I attended there (feast of St. Patrick) a few years ago. Good for them if they do this now.

There are other churches where the musicians are wonderful in Toronto. Check out the Oratory of St. Philip Neri and Holy Family Oratory. Our Lady of Sorrows would be a church to visit as well as St. Joseph's in Streetsville. I know there are others, but I'm out of the loop because I'm busy at my own parish. My parish chants the propers (a mix of English and Latin) and most of the ordinary is sung in Latin, though during ordinary time we sing the Canadian Missal Gloria in English. It is an excellent setting in my opinion.

Don't forget to attend the Gregorian Chant Colloquium at St. Augustine's Seminary in Toronto in August.

It's not all dismal.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Well at least the 12 mass does that. I met the organist, Bill O'Meara and the Principal Conductor, Dr. Jerzy Cichocki. Both very nice people indeed.