Tones for Office Responsories
  • hartleymartin
    Is there a source for the generic tones used for responsories (and canticles) in the divine office? Previously, I had adapted the Liber Usualis office psalm tones for everything. When it came to chanted responsories, I've generally used one in Tone VI use for the responsory of Compline, but I have no idea whether or not this is technically correct.

For example, here is a responsory I put together for Friday Vespers in Eastertide and will be using it later this evening for a simple chanted vespers.

I have also attached the Vespers booklet to show what I have used. Please note that this is the UK/Australia Divine Office and not the version used in North America which is a slightly different translation.
  • hartleymartin
    By the way, we did chant this office this evening and only about 3 or 4 of us had any experience chanting the psalms and it went quite well. The chapel did not have an organ, so the whole lot was a cappella.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • OraLabora
    Your best bet would be the current Antiphonale Monasticum.

Volume I would have the tones for the seasons, Volume II for days in Ordinary Time, and Volume III for the sanctoral. They will contain the actual responsories in current use, not just the tones. Also be aware that the tones for the Alleluia responsories have been changed, particularly the Gloria Patri. If you want the older version, the Antiphonale Monasticum 1934 or Liber Usualis should have them.

There are seasonal tones for Advent, Lent and Eastertide, as well as the more usual tones for Ordinary Time, and there is the solemn tone used at solemnities.