Organists: How many have an organ at home?
  • Just wondering, since I still have not figured out a decent practice arrangement and I'm considering getting one...And can a decent one be found for a not-outrageous amount of money?
  • BenBen
    A friend modified an old electronic organ to act as a midi interface for his hauptwerk rig for use at home. Works well enough for practice.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • We actually got ours as a donation from a family that was moving somewhere far, so we call them organ donors! LOL!

You would want to look for used, as new are like $10000 at like around the cheapest. That is what we did, and through the local college centre, if you look around your AGO centre you might find a good one.
  • CharlesW
    I bought mine new, but it is getting old now. Those shiny new ones are looking more appealing. It is great to not get out in the cold and wet just to go practice, so definitely worth the money. I have a friend who bought used and it seems to work fine.
  • I have a Yamaha Electone from around (I think) the mid-1960s, given to me at age 13 by my organ teacher (who was retiring and moving in with her daughter, who had no room). I don't use it often, but it's a conversation piece for friends who come over.
  • Don't give up on finding a real used chamber organ or smallish used real instrument. The OHS and organ clearing house could be helpful here. This isn't feasible for everyone, but is worth looking into if you have the space. It may cost less than you would think.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • TCJ
    I have a Johannus which was new at the time (3 years ago). I paid half, someone else paid the rest. It was (and is) extremely useful, but I use it much less now because my new house is only a few blocks from the church.
  • I'm having a midi console built right now by Arnold Organs (http://www.customorganworks.com/home.html). Unlike a lot of midi console builders, they manufacture just about everything in-house, instead of just assembling parts. Everything can be customized (woods for the keys, pedalboard style, bench style, etc). Much cheaper than purchasing a small organ (new) if you're comfortable working with Hauptwerk.

If you're ok with Allen keyboards, the local Allen dealer here in Memphis had a MDS-15 in perfect condition for $1,400 last time I was in.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • A chamber organ would be great, definitely need one with pedals-that's still a sticking point and thing I need to work on the most, although it doesn't help that the bench on the organ at my church is enormous and way too high for short little me. I just sold one of my violins and the money will stay in a savings account for now. If our house sells at a decent price and I don't need to put it towards the down payment, I'll invest in the organ. Will have about $2,000 to spend...
  • Ted
    You do not have to spend much on a practice organ. Find a used electronic one in good physical shape (the sound need not be necessarily good), and bear this in mind. If the organ already has MIDI it can be connected to a computer that runs Hauptwerk and/or GrandOrgue. The former has a free version with limited voices, and the latter is free open source, and for both there are available a good number of free sample sets. Just search the Internet. The nice thing about Grand Orgue is that it has a built in adjustable reverb to adapt the sound to your acoustic requirements such as for use with dry samples, instead of having to get additional software for Hauptwerk to do this.
    If the organ does not have MIDI, there are kits on eBay that will allow you to have it. Converting an electronic organ to MIDI is not particularly difficult, but it is tedious and time consuming as each key must be wired into the MIDI interface. Most of the original electronics in the organ will no longer be needed once the MIDI is in place.
    As for selecting the stops, you can use a touch screen monitor that interfaces with the computer. You would be surprised at how cheap large used commercial ones are on eBay.
    In my case, I have a Rodgers 520 connected through its original MIDI to a devoted computer with 256gb SSD drive, 16gb RAM and AMD 8 cpu running at 3.2ghz, with a 22" Tyco/Emo commercial touchscreen monitor mounted on a heavy duty arm that swings near me for easy stop selection. I have sample sets from around the world, and use the built in speakers (or headphones) for the sound. Good quality headphones (such as ATH-M40x) even plugged into the computer would be great because you do not have to spend a fortune on deep sound expansion speakers for those 32' stops. I like the Rodgers touch as it resembles tracker action.
    Thanked by 2BruceL JulieColl
  • BruceL
    This is such a cool development of the past 10 years or so, especially as a pipe instrument in the home is something impossible for any of us who have families and work in the field. Some of the consoles in Marc's link look fantastic, especially the (I can't believe I'm saying this) Holtkamp-y one!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    An electronic organ for under $4000.

FINALLY! For goodness sakes, they are just synth keyboards with nice cabinets.
    I wonder how far down the price could get pushed if they weren't quite so "custom."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Complete Package
    Comes with table, bench, pedal board with 2 expression pedals, 2 sets key cheeks, music rack, and music rack base.
    Price $2795

For home use, figure another $1000 for a computer, Hauptwerk, and speakers. (Less if you're a bit geeky and know how to scrounge.)

This is really amazing.
    Thanked by 2BruceL eft94530
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So I contacted them, and the "Complete Package" isn't actually all that complete. It does not even include the keyboards themselves.

IF you want an actual complete package, including the keyboards, computer, speakers, software, etc. - everything you would actually need to be able to have a decent (not amazing) practice organ, it comes to just under $5000.

This is still a lot better than previously available options.
  • Wow that's amazing!!! I already have a computer..MacBook Pro. Would it handle those programs?
  • BenBen
    @FidemInFidebus

Possibly. Try using your laptop with GrandOrgue, a keyboard, and a USB midi interface. I've used a setup like this for Masses in theaters and conference rooms.
  • There are some small organs listed in the current Diapason Classified Ads - if a real organ is feasible for you.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Bobby Bolin
    I got a Yamaha Electone at a thrift store for $200. Almost a full pedalboard and actually doesn't sound too bad. It's been working for about 8-10 years now.
  • henry
    It's nice to have an organ (and piano) at home if space allows. You can practice whenever you want - no need to drive (or walk) over to the church.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Three years ago someone from our parish gave us an old Hammond organ (though we had to spend $300 to haul it to our house) which replaced a Wurlitzer (circus organ, in my opinion) someone else had given us (sometimes, you should just say "no, thank you" real loud over and over). The Hammond certainly doesn't sound as nice as our church organ (an Allen) but it has enough registers and pedals to allow my son to practice at home instead of trekking to church, which is 25 miles away. And he plays for our family prayers every day--I'm glad we have it.
  • Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean is a graveyard of hammond 'organs'. This is not meant to pour cold water (salty or otherwise) on teachermom's apparently valued hammond, but - this is one of the most satisfying tales about simulacra that I have heard ever -

Quite a few years ago I knew an organ maintainance man connected with Wicks who had been in the navy during WWII. It seems that at war's end the military were in possession of hundreds of hammond 'organs' which had been used at chapels and services in the field. With no more use for them they were loaded aboard naval vessels and dumped at sea. My friend always had a particular delight in telling that story.

So, having related this tale, I hope sincerely that teachermom24 and her family continue to enjoy their hammond. No ill will or denigrance to people is intended.
  • CharlesW
    I will give Hammonds one thing, they are durable and tend to last forever. I had one in a school chapel that seemed indestructible. No, they don't sound like "real" organs. My understanding is that they were never presented as such, but were introduced originally as a new type of instrument.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Our Hammond came from a Southern home where the family enjoyed many, many memorable times of "jamming" (don't think that's a Southern word, but it's descriptive) with extended family (very Southern). When the donor was selling his parents' house, he wanted to find a good home for this family treasure. As I said earlier, we had been "gifted" with a small Wurlitzer (reminded me of a scene from the movie, Beethoven) which was good for nothing except a lot of headaches. When we were first offered the Hammond, I turned it down but then we found some friends of ours had a similar Hammond and their children were able to use it for music practice. Since my boys were just starting with organ lesson and one was the parish organist, I thought it might be worthwhile to have it at home. Go ahead and laugh. We are happy to have it for now. In a couple of years, after all my kids have gone away, I may just burn it.
  • CharlesW
    Before you burn it, I have seen some of those Hammonds sell for 3 or 4 thousand dollars. Depending on the model, they are really in demand with rock bands.
  • Torculus
    I'm having a midi console built right now by Arnold Organs

When you receive it, please let us know how satisfied you are with it.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I'm having a midi console built right now by Arnold Organs
    When you receive it, please let us know how satisfied you are with it.

Absolutely.
    Thanked by 1Torculus
  • kevinfkevinf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or147RQSBOM

My favorite home set-up. Quite remarkable if you ask me.
    Thanked by 2BruceL eft94530
  • ryandryand
    That setup can be seen here, along with many others:

http://www.pcorgan.com/Fotos3EN.html

I'll take one of each.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Ted
    For those willing to convert an existing non-MIDI electronic organ to a MIDI organ for use with Hauptwerk or GrandOrgue, here is a video that explains the basics of what is involved, in this case using the Hauptwerk Universal MIDI Encoder. It is not difficult, believe me, but somewhat time consuming because of all the wiring involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIz5CPPxZTA

There are other makers of organ MIDI encoders such as MIPC. Search eBay for "MIDI encoder" to get an idea of current pricing and availability.
  • BruceL
    Kevin et al, in the "best" setups like Joerg's, how are stops displayed on the knobs? I like the idea of the physical knobs (although that would be too expensive for someone like myself...the idea even now being far out of reach!), but just can't imagine a little LED display for each knob or something...
  • Y'all are really making me hope I get a good sale on my house so I don't have to spend my savings on the new one LOL!
  • kevinfkevinf
    Bruce et al,
    i believe there is a video display of them. That display is not seen in the clips. I agree, the stopknob nomenclature is problematic when you have various setups. As much as I love the St. Sulpice console, the expense is overwhelming. The builder computes the cost of that console as somewhere about the same as a Mercedes C class car. Around 30-40000 dollars US.

Thanked by 1BruceL
  • A popular method is long paper slips that slide over a whole row of drawknobs or tabs and can be swapped out for different sets. There's one European builder that recently released a console with stops on a rotating cylinder above stop tabs so you can have labels for up to four organs always availble and can switch between them with buttons on the console.

For less than $1,000, it's now possible to put a small lcd screen above each drawknob that would change dynamically based on sampleset. For my console, I just have some pistons and a touchscreen. I chose to put the most money in the keyboards over other comforts.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Here's a link to info about the rotating stop labels:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15018
  • BruceL
    That's super cool. I share your sentiments, though. Seeing the rotating labels with a bunch of plastic manual keys...nope nope nope. We have rear-fulcrum keys here on the console and, combined with the action/pipe fatigue, everything is slow slow slow.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    pipe fatigue

I use to have that problem in college.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • BruceL
    Just imagine having thousands of them, 1/3rd of which are failing!
  • CharlesW
    So what are the plans for that organ? Rebuild, restore, replace, enlarge ???