pre-Vatican II practice of recto tono/psalm tone propers
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    From different sources I understand that prior to Vatican II it was common practice to sing the propers recto tono or using a psalm tone, instead of singing the chants from the Graduale. Sometimes the propers were even omitted. It shows that not all choirs were able to perform these chants: they found them demanding, the choirs were too small, etc.

For a study I'm looking for contemporary sources that back up this image. I already found something in:

Pittsburg Church Music Commision, ‘The Recitation Tone’. Caecilia 64 (1937), 109-110
    J. Ward, Sunday Mass (Solesmes, 1931)
    F. Brunner, ‘Singing the Propers of the Mass’. Caecilia 91 (1964), 13-20

Do you know of any other articles or books (before 1965) that mention (or lament or encourage) this practice?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The article from Caecilia sounds very much like our own struggles with Sacred Music. It's nice to know that this isn't the first time this has happened in the Church.
  • tomjaw
    I understand that prior to Vatican II it was common practice to sing the propers recto tono or using a psalm tone,

Common in some areas, from say 1800 onwards...

My local parish (nothing special) founded 1908, had in its choir loft a 1904 L.U. which is now in my possession. The two previous owners, the latter I had sang with as a teenager had used this book so this parish had full Gregorian Propers.

The Parish I now sing at, founded 1903 has a collection of Graduale c.1890 and a bound set of Polyphonic Propers, with evidence of heavy use. No recto tono here.

Meanwhile in Switzerland, one of the EF mass centres has a song (Hymn) book with suggestions of German songs and some Latin Hymns to replace the Propers for each Sunday and Feast of the Year, this book was published in 1900!

From mediaeval records we know that even small villages had Sung Mass, and plenty of clerics here in England. Looking at the vast number of European Manuscripts on Cantus etc. plenty of places were singing Propers. So if the mediaeval illiterate can cope with Sung Liturgy, modern man should be able to do so as well.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Yes, I know there were many places where the full propers were sung. The Netherlands, where I live, was no exception. Even small villages had a Sung Mass every Sunday; both my father and grandfather sung in a schola and did the full propers every week.

But there must have also been places where choirs struggled with the propers and sang them recto tono, to a psalm tone or omited them altogether. I would like to know if this latter practice was widespread, where it did occur and how it was looked upon. What can be found about this in contemporary writings?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • WGS
    purely anecdotal,
    but in the mid 1950s, the choir I sang with used the Rossini propers.

(After the regular rehearsal, we chanters would prepare for the following Sunday while the other men left to hold down a table or two at Stanley's Tavern.)

I do recall that on special occasions: weddings, Holy Week, Christmas, we might have sung the regular chant propers but more likely for those celebrations we would have sung polyphonic propers.

Also, it was the practice of the choir director to sing one or two Requiem Masses before going to his day job. I'm pretty sure that this director used the recto tono option suggested by Fr. Rossini for the repeat of the Introit.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    A friend of mine recalls visiting France as a child and at funeral masses, the older men of the village would sing the full Requiem chants from memory.
  • The lesson of all this would seem to be that the more technologically advanced people become ('this is, after all, the XXIst century!') the more humanly retarded they become. I have heard of numerous cases in which people even complained that holding a 'heavy' hymnal was just too much trouble. And, they can't sing stuff that their great-grandparents sang with ease as children. Not very impressive, is it? And, they're not even embarrassed about it. Quite the contrary!
  • fcbfcb
    It is interesting that, based at least on the Caecelia articles, that not only were propers often done recto tono, but sometimes (oftentimes) they were omitted and only the Ordinary was sung. I'm trying to wrap my mind around this. Does it mean that the priest would recite them? Since he had to do this in any case, I suspect that was the case. So during the offertory and communion was there just organ music?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Perhaps others are more knowledgeable about this than I, and this may then be a silly question, but: Is it possible that the Rossini Propers were to move people away from a practice of recto tono / omitted propers, and that they weren't just a dumbing down of the Gregorian? He does say that people should use the Gregorian propers, instead, if they are able.

So perhaps his psalm-tone (with modern-notated Gregorian "Alleluia" options at the bottom) were a solution to the OP problem... even if people do tend to get stuck on them because they're simple.
  • tomjaw
    When I read the articles above my understanding was that some places sing the Propers recto tono, and fewer places omit them. The Ward book clearly states that it was for school children.

Singing the Propers takes commitment...
    In parts of Germany I can quite understand the political upheavals over the years prior to say 1900, would make the commitment needed to sing the Propers difficult to impossible. Add to that the popular songs / Hymns being sung in the other church down the road... I quite understand that the Propers fell out of use in some places. A friend tells me that other places in Germany carried on singing the Propers.

I am surprised that in England new churches being founded in a time of great expansion, that choirs were able to be formed to sing the Propers. But I can quite understand that in parts of the U.S. it was not so easy, perhaps not helped by the so called Low Mass mentality. I am sure places in England also had no sung Masses but I have no evidence.

I wonder if anyone knows how many of the various editions of L.U. were produced, does anyone have sales figures? The only other way to find out what was being sung in churches is to look in bulletins or perhaps the local newspaper.
  • I really, really have to object to the characterization suggestion of this Low Mass mentality. There was no such thing. Unless you feel that an organist singing the Rossini propers at Mass 6 days a week was singing a Low Mass.

Clarify that, ok? If this is what you confer to be a Low Mass, then you are right. But for those of us sang these High masses daily and got paid for them by the parish that scheduled these High masses which increased the amount of offering the priest received for singing a High Mass....these were High Masses...and there we so described in print all the time as being High Masses.
  • CharlesW
    Yes they were high masses. My work parish had them every morning with a more solemn high mass (the pastor's mass) every Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
  • tomjaw
    I am referring to an EF Low Mass, this would normally be a Mass without singing. I know many people that prefer a Low Mass to a Missa Cantata (Sung Mass), this is usually described as a Low Mass mentality when their ideal is forced on others. I have heard plenty of complaints from a small group of people, that money is being spent on choirs that could be used in other ways.

If you are singing the Propers how can this be a Low Mass?
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW
    I have heard plenty of complaints from a small group of people, that money is being spent on choirs that could be used in other ways.

I wish money was being spent on my choir. The church spends nothing on that choir. Our former pastor used to say we had a tradition of good music. As someone else said, it wasn't because he ever spent anything on it. LOL.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Jeffrey Quick
    FWIW, an anecdote, from one of my schola peeps who is a MD elsewhere:
    (They sing the Gregorian Propers in a service)
    Parishioner: "Why don't you sing Gregorian Chant?"
    Him: "We just did."
    P: "No, no, I mean Gregorian Chant, like: (sings psalm tone)"
    For some people, Rossini WAS the chant.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • There is a lack of appreciation by most clergy for the amount of income an organist, but especially a choir director, can produce for a church. And the music program, overall.
    The concept of labor productivity is not taught at seminary.

Baumol's_ cost disease
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • ...money being spent...could be used in other ways.

Curious, isn't it?, that one often hears this tired refrain when money for music, liturgy, or the choir, or the organ, is being talked of. One rarely hears that it could be better spent for the poor, or this or that, when it concerns things that Mr and Mrs Suburbia really want or care about - or even the pastor's expensive automobile, vacation, or rectory appointments.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Another option is eleven years before Rossini.

http://www.ccwatershed.org/library/

Very Rev Theodore Laboure OMI
    18xx born / 1910 Ecclesiastical Review / 1944 died.
    Rev Carlo Rossini
    1890 born / 1913 ordained / 1975 died.

1922 sep 22 imprimatur
    Laboure "Proper of the Mass for all the Sundays of the Year"

1933 sep 12 imprimatur
    Rossini "Proper of the Mass for the entire Ecclesiastical Year"
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Don't forget Tozer's Graduale!

Simple, Anglican-flavored, underrated. Always a good decision.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Here are some interesting historical details which I stumbled upon. In May 1924 The Tablet offered a prize essay on the subject of 'Voluntary Choirs and the Proper of the Mass'. An excerpt from this initial article shows us a picture of the singing practice in the UK in the 1920's:

Some choirs are content to "monotone," while the organist supports them with rich harmonies. Others depute one or more singers to " chant " the sacred text, which too often means that a psalm-tone is chosen with so little reference to the meaning of the words that a Gaudeamus Introit sounds the same as a Requiem aeternam, and the Offertory Terra tremuit is as meditative as a Majorem caritatem.

No more than fourteen submissions were printed throughout the October and November issues of 1924. From a historical point of view, these submitted essays are quite interesting to read, offering an insight into the practice of singing the proper of the Mass during the first decades of the last century and showing the struggles choirs had with this.

I didn't read all of them yet, but I would like to share two observations from the reading I have done so far:
    1. Using psalm tones or recto tono is often suggested/witnessed as an alternative to the chants of the Graduale
    2. There were choirs that were still singing from the Ratisborn or Mechlin editions instead of the Vatican edition. This corresponds to a similar practice in the Netherlands, where there were choirs using the Neo-Medicaea edition well into the 1920's.

Here are links to the entire series:
    October 4, 1924, 433-436
    October 11, 1924, 476-478
    October 18, 1924, 497-499
    October 25, 1924, 534-535
    November 1, 1924, 564-566
    November 8, 1924, 614-616
    November 15, 1924, 636-638
    November 22, 1924, 666-670
    November 29, 1924, 702-703