Passion settings in English
  • Dear fellow liturgical musicians - I am looking for suggestions of 30 minute (or shorter) unaccompanied passion settings in English to do with one of my choirs. I grew up singing passion settings in German, but with our current repertoire load, teaching them to sing in German is something that I would like to eventually do, but cannot do at this particular time. Any suggestions are welcome, including English translations. We may be able to use organ, but will not use instruments for this service, so my preference is unaccompanied. Hope everyone had a blessed Triduum and Holy Week, and may you enjoy some deserved rest after these very busy days. All the best, and thanks in advance!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    A while back, I prepared the RSV-CE translation of the Passion according to St. John to the traditional tones. I'll see if I can find it at work tomorrow.
    Thanked by 1musicatnativity
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I recall singing the Heinrich Schütz setting of the St. John Passion (I think, but it might have been the St. Matthew or possibly the St. Luke) in English translation 45 years ago. There are editions available, one through GIA, and one edited by Peter Pears & Imogen Holst (1963), and probably others. An English language setting of the choruses of the St. Matthew (but not recitatives) is available for free at CPDL. Of course, the Schütz settings are a cappella.

• CHGiffen, the Schütz St John Passion is the kind of piece I had in mind. I had looked for it, but not found an English edition, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Steve, I could look at your translation as well. Many thanks!
  • If there is some way for you to get a copy of Thomas Barrett Armstrong's version, that might be nice. A St Michael's Choir School piece, I could attach it if you can't find an original elsewhere, as another director edited my copy.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    FWIW, I found it. I know it's a bit late for this year. I don't even know if it's been performed by the Anglican Ordinariate folks in the UK I made it for. And I haven't undertaken to set the other three Passions yet.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There is also the NAB (Lectionary) text setting to the Dominican Passion Chant tone which I prepared. See this thread.
  • Thank you, Steve and Charles. The chant settings are beautiful, and I will keep them in mind for a possible future need. Noeisdas, I could not find a copy online of the work you mentioned. Is it published? I am looking for a polyphonic setting to do next year with our smaller SATB choir (about 16). They sings a lot of polyphony, especially during Lent and Advent. The Schütz is a good candidate. I appreciate everyone's time and insight.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There is also the Bud Clark edition in English of the Victoria St John Passion, which is available at CPDL. But here is the score.
  • a_f_hawkins
    This score needs some proofreading and correcting, e.g. line 21 label, line 39 label make me feel uncertain about the accuracy of the score.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, you get what you pay for, or what you put into proofreading & editing. You can also add the {{Score error|description template to the CPDL page. Btw, I'm curious whether anyone has experience with the GIA/Rowan version?

I have (on an inaccessible computer) a tree-friendly version (since we rehearse a cappella) of St John with some corrections. The Lassus St Mark I actually uploaded before that crash.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've checked the actual score (ie. notes) and it agrees with Bud Clark's other chant parts for other Passion settings. Only the two Chronista/Christus labels seem to be wrong with the Victoria. See also his Viadana edition of the St. John Passion in English at CPDL.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • vogelkwvogelkw
    We have used Fr. Weber's setting on Good Friday the past three years.
    http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/passion_john.pdf
    I also wrote it out in neumes because I find it easier to sing that way:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6KWGd6xtYEqWTJ3OTBUU3JvcWM
  • Thank you for the many comments and suggestions, everyone!