Easter crankiness: Is Eric Whitacre too popular?
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Easter Joy.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    On a side note: I've had about enough Eric Whitacre.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix Ben
  • aria
    On a side note: I've had about enough Eric Whitacre.

Sorry, not meaning to annoy anyone. Whitacre's a fairly new discovery for me, and I think that Alleluia is stunning.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've had about enough Eric Whitacre.

Welcome to the club. Add a few other in the faux pantheon.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz Ben
  • ...enough Eric Whitacre.
    ...would be enough to bury the vast majority of composers writing for the Catholic Church on either side of our Atlantic Pond. That isn't to say that there aren't quite a few Americans and Englishmen whose sacred and liturgical works are better than his. But, a pantheon in which he is found is certainly not faux. Ha! We should exult and sing a Te Deum if all we had to complain of was music of such calibre. (But, Monteverdi he's not.)
    Thanked by 2aria Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    I must live in a traditional music bubble, since I have never heard of him.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I checked IMSLP.
    Not there.
    Long live 1923.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I didn't even know he wrote sacred music.
    I know a lot of band directors who enjoy programming his music, though.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MJO, isn't everything subject to the "eye/ear of the beholder?"
    Whatever criteria composites "faux" or "pantheon," every informed opinion has some measure of merit.
    What is questioned is whether the vocabulary of select contemporaneous composers and compositions has opened a floodgate for simulacra composition notoriety. Can we categorically state that everything with a genome tied back to Glass or Part, or Lauridsen/Whitacre is evidence of genius as celebrated by popularity in this open-end era?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I guess Whitacre's Alleluia qualifies as "sacred music" since the text is "Alleluia" (sung a lot of times). But there is very little else, if anything, by Whitacre that would qualify as "sacred music" for the RC church. Much, though, is certainly beautiful, inspiring, and in some sense "sacred" in a non-liturgical sense.
    Thanked by 2Steve Collins aria
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Ah. I guess I'm confused as to what this post is about, then...

I'd only ever heard of his symphonic works that seem to be loved by high school band directors.
    (and if that's the wrong Whitacre, then I am sleepily clueless, and am done with this thread.)
  • ...isn't everything subject to eye/ear of....

Absolutely not! This is a fallacy, and may be heresy insofar as it pretends that there is no objective hierarchy of values. It certainly holds no philosophical or ontological water. This faux premise is a fundamental denial of objective reality. I do not have to believe that Beethoven's or Monteverdi's music is a God-given miracle for it to be such, and very beautifully such. On the other hand, I might (heaven forbid!) be so blind as to think that Marty Haugen's music is on a level far more profound than Brahms'; but my 'eyes/ears/mind', were they to tell me that, would be suffering from grievous delusions, profound ignorance, and the discernment of an insect. And, as is the eye/ear argument, so is the de gustibus argument. They are birds (vultures, to be exact) of a feather.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Kathy eft94530
  • CharlesW
    They are birds (vultures, to be exact) of a feather.

And I hope they all get flocked.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    OK. Thanks for finally posting the work in question. I've never heard it.

It is nice. It would have been nice to listen to yesterday when all Liturgical music was finished, to help me relax, and maybe even go to sleep. It might also be nice in a concert of "sacred" music. That does NOT make it appropriate for inclusion in any Liturgy, especially the Mass.

This is similar to the "folk music" of the 1970s in that both groups of composers are composing to impress their fellow composers, and maybe the performers. Their enthusiasm (and possible subjective beauty) might even extend to the audiences listening. This is what we call "entertainment". The Liturgy has never been an appropriate place for entertainment - until after Vatican II, where it seems to be the primary focus of every gathering in any building defined as a "church"!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Exactly! There is, or should be, a wall between secular and sacred. The fact that often there is not a divide between the two may have helped lessen the effect of the sacred. I am "old school" on this, but going into the temple should be an entrance into heaven on earth with its own sights, sounds, and even smells - a completely different world.
  • fcbfcb
    Exactly! There is, or should be, a wall between secular and sacred. The fact that often there is not a divide between the two may have helped lessen the effect of the sacred. I am "old school" on this, but going into the temple should be an entrance into heaven on earth with its own sights, sounds, and even smells - a completely different world.

I feel like I heard something somewhere about a veil in a temple being torn in two. This "old school" approach would seem to have led to a very different sort of incarnation than the one we actually got---if it would have allowed for an incarnation at all.
  • aria
    Ok, so, I'm the one who originally posted the "offending" Alleluia. I had no idea that posting a modern choral "Alleluia" on Easter could be so controversial! :-)

In any case, I'd like to expand on a few things... In the thread "Easter Joy", people were encouraged to post things that made them feel joyous on Easter. Many things made me feel joyous on Easter: the priest chanting the Exsultet, the smiles on everyone's faces during Mass, the excitement in my kids' voices as they told their cousins the next day about how cool it was to attend Vigil... AND the "Alleluia" I posted. I listened to that piece over and over yesterday while making Easter brunch, and it made my heart happy.

For the record, NOWHERE did I state (or imply) that the Whitacre piece belonged in Mass. I intended no debate on sacred, "sacred", or secular music. I had just wanted to share it with people who appreciate music. Nothing more, nothing less.

Finally, to be clear, I'm not picking a fight with ClergetKubisz ... it's totally fine to dislike (or be sick of) Whitacre. And totally fine to state as much. The bummer to me is how easily my post/link and ClergetKubisz's reply can turn into a rant thread on sacred, "sacred", and secular music in Mass, when that's really not ever what it was about... it saddens me that so many folks' view on music comes from such a defensive stance.
  • CharlesW
    I feel like I heard something somewhere about a veil in a temple being torn in two. This "old school" approach would seem to have led to a very different sort of incarnation than the one we actually got---if it would have allowed for an incarnation at all.

We in the east have been practicing this divide for 1500 or so years. The liturgy and music are unique to our temple, or church as westerners say, and are not what one would normally hear and see in the outside world. When someone enters the building they should sense they are on holy ground. I think that is how it should be. I realize from working in western churches, that a "y'all come, let's party and be happy" mindset is too often the norm. Not too much uniquely sacred about that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I see no vitriol in either CK's pronouncement or my POV regarding the modern anointment of select composers. What I do see is misconstrued extrapolation and dismissal of concerns by intellectual devaluation. As Monty Python observed, "that's not argument, it's contradiction."
    PS. To refocus, the obvious reality is that this discussion does not concern the linkage between the likes of Beethoven and Monteverdi to Mr. Whitacre. There is and cannot be at this point in time's dialectic no likening comparison of catalogues. I do have the benefit of having been exposed to Whitacre's opi because as a Californian I programmed many of his works while teaching HS choral and took in his performance piece about angels at CSU Northridge while still in development (which he directed from his armada of Mac computers.) There is no doubt Whitacre is a compelling force in art music in this era, a positive force. However, his popularity has resulted in a number of concerns, a couple of which: 1. The further eroding compositional vocabularies among emulating adherents with dubious skills and craft (I don't want to name my suspects.) and 2. a corollary shadow over other very talented "new" composers. For example, since Monteverdi was mentioned, William Hawley comes to mind.
    I suppose it's time for me to cease and desist. And as Fidem reminds, a great amount of introspection is required for local church choirs in terms of what can be successfully rendered at a parish level that witnesses to the Lord Jesus.
  • I got to perform his "Sleep" in college, a moving experience honestly, even though it's a secular piece. I don't know a lot of his work but I like what I do know. And he's definitely better than a lot of the crap music I deal with at work and hear at my own church.
  • CharlesW
    For the record, NOWHERE did I state (or imply) that the Whitacre piece belonged in Mass. I intended no debate on sacred, "sacred", or secular music. I had just wanted to share it with people who appreciate music. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, you didn't say it belonged at mass. In my earlier days, we were subjected to the infamous one word Randall Thompson 'Alleluia' - the most tedious piece ever written! It is like "The Song That Never Ends."
  • Liam
    To (cough) quibble: there are actually two words in Randall Thompson's "Alleluia". What's unusual about the piece is the intentional avoidance of extroverted joy in favor of a more sober aspect. And I believe that's why it sustained a place as a classic.
    There's nothing offensive about Eric Whitacre's music, so I apologize if there was any miscommunication regarding my opinions of Mr. Whitacre and his produce. He is simply very overplayed in the band circles, from which I hail musically (I originally trained as a clarinetist). Eric Whitacre's "October" is one of the most beautiful and moving works I've ever played, conducted, or heard, and I've done all three many, many times. The problem, I think is that everyone wants Mr. Whitacre to provide another "October" or "Ghost Train," which were two of his most successful and popular works, and they were produced early on in his career. I think his popularity also has something to do with his physique.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • CharlesW
    To (cough) quibble: there are actually two words in Randall Thompson's "Alleluia". What's unusual about the piece is the intentional avoidance of extroverted joy in favor of a more sober aspect. And I believe that's why it sustained a place as a classic.

One of my friends met Thompson many years ago and thought highly of him. Having been in choirs from high school on I encountered the piece often - too often. I hate it! I don't know what possesses choir directors to inflict it on singers. Most of my fellow choristers in those choirs also hated it.
  • Liam
    Charles

I think that is the fault of programming, not the work. Many church and secular choral directors, pace what they put in their program information about the etiology of the piece, fail to grapple with the piece's unusual (given the ostensible text) sobriety and instead use it as a programming widget. Classics are not invulnerable to such treatment.

Imagine if someone had programmed it after 9/11, for example. That's closer to the heart of the matter.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Heath
  • There are two things that I would not want if I were stranded on the proverbial tropical island. They are Thompson's Alleluia and Ravel's Bolero.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Having conducted Mr. Thompson's Alleluia this year as part of our Easter programme, I have done about every three or four years. But I sang it with Robert Shaw, who gave it a real go. Perhaps that is why I love it. And my adults love it. It is hard work in terms of ensemble.

So I guess I am among those who inflict the piece on people. I also met Thompson and found him to be a lovely person.
    Thanked by 2canadash Heath
  • melofluentmelofluent
    There are two things that I would not want if I were stranded on the proverbial tropical island. They are Thompson's Alleluia and Ravel's Bolero.

How 'bout a third strike, "Carmina Burana" by Orff.....arrff.
  • CharlesW
    The choral society here does "Carmina..." it seems every other year. Is there anyone left who either hasn't heard it, or even wants to hear it again?
  • Liam
    The Greater Boston area has an alarmingly high number of capable choral groups. The great choral warhorses appear on the calendar every year with at least one or two groups performing them. People survive.
  • CharlesW
    I understand why they do those "warhorses." People buy tickets and the choral groups need the income to survive.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks to the University of Virginia connection to Randall Thompson (he was on the faculty for a number of years, and was rather revered there), I've had my share of a few of his choral works, notably (meaning I've sung/endured them more than once), "Testament of Freedom" (words from Jefferson's writings), "The Last Words of David", "The Peaceable Kingdom," and (of course) "Alleluia." These were all conceived as concert pieces; for example, "Alleluia" was commissioned by the Serge Koussevitzky Foundation for the inauguration of the Berkshire Music Center at Tanglewood.

On a side note, one-word texts appear elsewhere, perhaps most notably as the final chorus ("Amen") of Handel's oratorio Messiah.

And, not to be catty, but there is even a duet with essentially one word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3nIScO592Y

• CCoozeCCooze
    I've always liked Bolero. =)
  • CharlesW
    I like the Rossini. It is hilarious.
  • francis
    MJO, isn't everything subject to the "eye/ear of the beholder?
    BULLoney!

my newly fabricated word...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The only trouble with accepting objective standards of beauty is that one is then forced to make calls on who is deluded or not. I don't have to believe Vaughn Williams is a great composer for him to be so, but it helps that there are other people who encourage me to keep reconsidering that little blind spot of mine.

My opinion of Whitacre is colored by an experience of recording an (already forgotten) seamless adagio in a church where the engineer told us there had to be 8" of absolute silence at the end for the take to be usable. When one of us breath holders fainted and fell with a thud, instead of concerned gasps there was a collective groan. A work I did rather enjoy though is Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    I realize from working in western churches, that a "y'all come, let's party and be happy" mindset is too often the norm. Not too much uniquely sacred about that.

Who would ever mistake what goes on at even the most banal NO Mass as everyday secular business as usual? I recall being at a baptism performed by the stereotype of the chatty Post-Vatican II priest who, to my mind, was about as ritually inept as possible. But the fairly large number of truly secular folks who happened to be there said that they were blown away by the ceremony and had never experienced anything like that before. As with so many things in life, YMMV.
  • MatthewRoth
    I think from what was said that it is not so much that it is secular business as usual, but rather, and this is my experience, that there is too little difference too often between the sacred and the profane, which means others are not convinced of the truths revealed through the liturgical action. They, to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, do ceremonious things unceremoniously. Everyone is aware of what is supposed to happen, e.g. a baptism or the Eucharist, to choose the two most common publicly celebrated sacraments, but I'm not sure everyone is convinced that the sacrament actually happened and that what the church teaches is true (I'm not even speaking of validity, merely of the impression had by others).
    But the fairly large number of truly secular folks who happened to be there said that they were blown away by the ceremony and had never experienced anything like that before.

This particular point is anecdotal. Of course, Catholic Masses and other liturgies are going to look very organized and ceremonial to someone who has never experienced anything like them before. This does not have anything to do with the correctness or sacredness of the liturgy performed.

...there is too little difference too often between the sacred and the profane, which means others are not convinced of the truths revealed through the liturgical action.

This is true, as well as the fact that there is a concerted effort by some to include more of the profane where it should never be. This, of course, confuses the lines between what is sacred and what is profane. This answers the following question:

Who would ever mistake what goes on at even the most banal NO Mass as everyday secular business as usual?

While at its core, the Mass is the Mass. Period. It is a sacred action, occurring in what should be sacred space, which means nothing profane should ever penetrate its walls. However, we see this frequently: the profane entering sacred space and nothing is ever done about it. If the Mass is sacred, and it is, and the church in which it is celebrated is sacred, and it is, should the profane be allowed? Should it be purposefully included, as it is often? Or has the definition of what is sacred changed?
  • About those eye/ear beholdings, and de gustibus assertions, I am reminded of a certain yard man in my youth when I had (that's had) a green thumb: of him one was warned, 'don't let him weed your garden! He doesn't know the difference between the weeds and the flowers'. Um, as they say: '-nuff said'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    This particular point is anecdotal.

Of course it is. I don't believe I claimed anything more than that.

Let me try another tack: people keep invoking the sacred/secular distinction as if it is obvious what falls on which side. But the Eric Whitacre piece under discussion seems to be not so obvious. Can someone identify for me the particular objective qualities of the piece that they think would make it fall on either the secular or the sacred side of the divide?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Pieces that are sacred in nature but are not settings of any of the ritual text may be used as ornaments during liturgy at certain points such as offertory and communion, where there may be time for them without interrupting the ritual action. The Whitacre piece under discussion may be one of these, though I shouldn't think it really 'ecclesiastical' in nature (whatever that might mean) or that it was possessed of a particular liturgical aesthesis (whatever that might mean). Such pieces should not be overly grandiose, too showy or too musically self-referential, detract from the flow of spiritual thought that has been liturgically established, and so on (whatever all that might mean to different persons). For me, such an inappropriate example would be Handel's 'Hallelujah', some of the more lengthy English anthems, and, certainly, pieces that were conceived of as 'concert' pieces. Deacon Fritz has called attention to a very real issue regarding the choice of what i call liturgical ornamental music, being non-ritual, but suitable for use at moments when time allows. As with all problems of liturgical aethesis, we are on very infirm ground in that the matter is highly subjective and difficult to codify. We know, though, when the ritual is being suitably graced and we are being spiritually aedified, and when the liturgy is being usurped by an aesthesis foreign to it - even though as an offering at a sacred concert it might be aedifying indeed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I like Carmina Burana, and would go to a concert to hear it if the tickets were affordable.
  • SalieriSalieri
    such an inappropriate example would be Handel's 'Hallelujah'

For this very reason I have put a moratorium on all Oratorio movements (whether choral or solo) at my Parish. I am also picky about Cantata excerpts. I am perfectly willing to include them in our Pre-Midnight-Mass Christmas concert (We did just that with "Pifa" to "Glory to God" from Messiah this year), but NEVER during the liturgy--I am more lenient towards chorales from Bach Cantatas and Motets, however.
  • fcbfcb
    As with all problems of liturgical aethesis, we are on very infirm ground in that the matter is highly subjective and difficult to codify. We know, though, when the ritual is being suitably graced and we are being spiritually aedified, and when the liturgy is being usurped by an aesthesis foreign to it - even though as an offering at a sacred concert it might be aedifying indeed.

So my question is, who is the "we" in your second sentence above? Does it include only those with a certain degree of spiritual and/or aesthetic training? Also, while I do think people know when they feel that they are being spiritually edified, isn't it possible that they are actually being spiritually corrupted by what they feel is edifying them? I know plenty of people who would say that they are edified by On Eagles Wings or Be Not Afraid, but I suspect there are a lot of people who would be dismissive of that feeling. More controversially (at least in this forum), I know people who feel spiritually edified by Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus or by Handel's All We Like Sheep, whereas other's consider them spiritually destructive schlock, or at least unsuitable for the liturgy.

MJO: I appreciate the honesty of your parenthetical "whatever that might mean"s.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I also appreciate Jackson's stalwart defense of classical aesthetics as a primary lens by which many benefit and are "edified."
    That said, I wonder if this soufflé of a discussion collapses from puffery of ideals? I had a brief exchange with Richard Clark on FB wondering if his use of a string quartet on Good Friday included a performance of the Barber "Adagio." He replied that they'd offered Mozart quartets. The issue of instrumentals notwithstanding, I know that the Barber quartet edifies my soul as an exemplar of relentless and redemptive suffering, as has done so since my high school daze (circa 66-69.) It's not at all, per se, a sacred or ecclesial work (yeah, yeah....the Agnus Dei..I know), but I hear the seven last words more clearly in it than the Dubois or M. Haydn fo sho. Just like Handel, the Barber has been so misappropriated over decades there oughta be a law agin such shenanigans. But my "feelings" inform me that the Barber means much more than an elegant construct of harmonic tension and release. But using it on Good Friday to fill space, as MJO outlined nicely, must never be my call as a DMM. That's perhaps why the Allegri is so fundamentally sound.
    If "Stuff I like versus stuff I don't like" remains a factor in our deliberations of sacred music with intent, then perhaps we ought to confine our arguments to simply what we like and endorse, with little or no mention of what we don't. If I declare that I don't get much out of Gesualdo, but I do from Luzzachi, wouldn't my point be bettered couched in just talking Luzzachi? If I don't appreciate Phillip Glass, but virtually weep over Morricone's score to "Cinema Paradiso," wouldn't exploring the why of that be more beneficial to "my cause?"
    RvDrFritz'es citation of OEW and BNA having two drama faces of appreciation is apt. But we must remember to distinguish between such pieces as Kraftwerk and true art music with the intent to serve and edify sanctification. If you get that distinction, you can better decide which serves the faithful more, um, faithfully: Alstott's HERITAGE v. Jernberg's ST.P.NERI, or Proulx's COMMUNITY v. Giffen's ASCENSIONES. And uh, yup- YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • What on earth makes Handel's Hallelujah Chorus unsuitable for liturgy? Or ALL oratorio movements? Now I'm cranky!

We did Handel's "Worthy is the Lamb" as the introit for Christ the King. Because it is...a well-crafted musical setting...of the official liturgical text for that moment. Am I missing something here? Would it need to be flat and boring and unimaginative, like say, a Ravanello setting, to be suitable for the liturgy? Or does the text itself call for some intensity and drama, in a musical setting meant to worthily sound that text in the liturgy?

Personally, I think dull, uninteresting music with no drama (or intensity) is unsuitable for the liturgy, especially for high feast days, regardless of whether the text in question is proper.
    Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • Oh, and I have to defend the Randall Thompson as well. I see it as a 5-minute jubilus in the best Gregorian tradition. Now, if it's sung in a tedious way, then I suppose it would be tedious. That truism applies to every piece of music, though.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ghmus7
  • ...who is the "we"...

This is, really, a quite profound question, and one pregnant with cultural, educational, spiritual, and highly subjective and referential aspects. I may say a few things that will surprise some of my colleagues here, things that, really, I don't like, myself, to say, but which it seems to me are in the realm of 'fair play' and appreciative of the genuine and non-contrived differences amongst the multitude of persons and communities on this splendid planet on which the Father of All placed us. Some of the observations that I offer I do so begrudgingly, but with the sense that they are fair and not culturally coercive. None of us likes to be put into a mold, especially one that is foreign to our nature.

Cultural honesty should be evident in all our liturgy. This means that most of us on this forum should not be subjected to musical languages that connote to us a clear secularity, an undoubted market-place ethos, a pop or faux(!)-folk idiom. Most of us would identify renaissance polyphony, much of the English anthem genre, and much from the pens of such moderns as Poulenc, Messiaen, Howells, even Whitacre, etc., not to overlook Gregorian chant, as supremely apt for our worship, supremely ecclesiastical in nature, and possessed of a fundamentally spiritual and objectively worshipful reference. We would like to commend this ethos to the vast majority of our European heritaged brethren (including our youth!), to all educated folk, and to all who share in our western cultural heritage (dare I say 'patrimony'?). Such is our genuine cultural and musical language.

But! There are in our midst those, even of European heritage, to whom this cultural paradigm is foreign. They live in the mountains or the 'back woods' and are strangers to what seems to us self-evidently holy. Ours is not the cultural, and especially not the musical, language which they speak, or which they would think of as anything but strange. Is it not a sort of imposition to think that the music of their worship should not be expressed in the musical language which they speak. Oh, but it's vulgar and mundane we would object. But if it is crafted carefully to express the meaning of the sacred verba in a musical language in which they see themselves, and see themselves in reverence, can we say that it is not 'a' sacred idiom? Can we look into their hearts and judge them to be irreverent? Ignorant? I'll, I pray, never presume to judge what is in another persons heart when he is at worship of his God. And, lest there be any doubt, nor should he dismiss the expressions of my soul as 'Euro-centred' or elitist, or this that and the other. Both he and I are worshiping our own worship when we start hurling those boulders around.

What I have said about the sub-cultures in our midst, I would say as well about non-western cultures. Why shouldn't Japanese or Indian worship sound like Japanese and Indian music? Their music is foreign to me (though I do admire it). Indeed, I wouldn't be able to tell a Japanese love song from a Japanese song about the warring deeds of a Samauri. But the Japanese could. One must assume that there is a sacred idiom within the language of Japanese music, and that God would be pleased to hear it. (Unfortunately, what one most often hears of Japanese, or Viet-namese, or any oriental sacred music is not the genuine music of their culture but a ridiculously [even hilariously] orientalised and debased western idiom. This is as disgusting as western sacro-pop. And! What I just said about the orientals applies equally to the Hispanics and Afro-Americans in our midst!)

I think that what I have suggested about the 'uncultured' or 'unlettered' sub-cultures in our own midst, and what I have said about non-western cultures in general, serves to make the point that everyone should be, and is entitled to be, culturally genuine. Many will have no objection to this proposition. But the same many will have no problem at all thinking that I, and most of us on this forum, should be subjected to sacred idioms that are anything but sacral in nature, that are not expressive of the European heritage and culture which is the birthright of the vast majority of our countrymen and women. We are accused of such idiotic things as 'cultural imperialism' (really!!!) by the very folk who wish to practice their own imperialism on us. This is unholy. It makes a lie of their own professed inclusiveness. It reveals them to be pitifully ignorant and willfully, snidely, mean and disrespectful.

A final note: there are those of all these various cultural identities who, shall we say, cross various cultural lines. A Japanese may have great devotion to Tallis or Palestrina. An American back woods dweller may find in Howells a spiritual expression that he or she was amazed at. And, to be sure, many of 'our' own people not only jettison their true heritage, but hold it in contempt. One thing, though, of which we may be certain, is that those who cry 'oh, that is elitist', or 'oh! that is so Euro-centric', and those who cry, 'oh, that is so folksy', or 'oh! that is not sacred', are, all of them, birds of a feather.

Someone once told me that he had never met anyone who had such a sense of fair play as I. I don't know whether or not this is so (I think that it mustn't be), but I do know that my sense of fair play, my appreciation for the myriad of cultures which share our Earthly home, is, sometimes, irksome even to me - because Tallis and Anglican chant, and Brahms and Bach, and Monteverdi and Byrd, and Gregorian chant and DuFaye, et al., are so obviously, so self-evidently, universals.

This is my excuse for an answer to Deacon Fritz' question: 'who is the "we"'?
  • ...I think dull, uninteresting music...

This is a preposterously and incredibly subjective statement.
    Define dull, with strict objectivity.
    Methinks that you may be confusing your own perceptions with the music itself.
    Thanked by 1CCooze