Mass of St. Ann
  • jk0017
    Hi there,
    I am curious if any of you happen to know if the Mass Setting, Mass of St. Ann by Ed Bolduc, is truly appropriate or not. The Newman Center I go to uses it but I tried saying that it is not appropriate due to the rhythms such as "Glory! (pause) Glory to God in the highest! Glory! (pause)..."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is a much larger question than dealing with a single piece of music. If your Newman center uses guitars, drums, pianos, and/or tambourines for all the rest of their music, I'm not sure how (or why) you would pick a fight with Bolduc's Mass of St. Ann.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think it is quite bearable for an ensemble style Mass setting. Such repetition is not to excess with the Bolduc. It is IMO the best of the 2010 new settings for that genre.
    If you're needing an alternative, I'd offer Bob Hurd's SANTA CLARA MASS. Clean.
    Little Joe, I'd pick a fight with a drum kit or timbales at any Mass. Guitars and piano, maybe a cajon are plenteous rhythmic reinforcement.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    jk0017, appropriateness all depends on whether there's any finger snapping.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh the shark bites...
  • jk0017, would you mind elaborating what you mean? I can think of a couple different ways to interpret what you're saying.

Mass of St. Ann is a popular setting in my area. I've played (never scheduled) the Mass setting at three separate parishes, and each has sung it like there's no tomorrow. It's not my cup of tea, but if you're going to have a "contemporary" Mass setting, you could do worse.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    "... it is quite bearable"?
    "... you could do worse?"

Is that really what every parish is aiming for these days? Just chant the ICEL English chants! Or much better yet, chant the originals. There are 18 Gregorian chant Ordinaries, and at lest 1/3 of them are singable by congregations.
  • If you really need something, try OCP's Heritage Mass. Easy to do in any style and not difficult for the congregation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I beg to differ, with respect. The retrofit Heritage did not fare well, particularly with the Gloria.
  • Really? I am quite suprised. It is the only setting that can be used in both a contemporary and traditional setting.
  • Really? I am quite suprised. It is the only setting that can be used in both a contemporary and traditional setting.

The rewritten Mass of Redemption (Janco) works pretty well in both too, IMO.

As for the rewritten Heritage Mass, my parish took to it well. But we didn't use the old one, so they didn't have to adjust when I introduced the new one.
  • What, specifically, makes you think that it's "inappropriate"? In what way?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • eft94530eft94530
    Richard Mix: whether there's any finger snapping.

Is there an Addams Family Mass?
    https://youtu.be/-3CH0tN515M

I only recall this ...
    http://www.ocp.org/compositions/16937
  • The Gloria from the Mass of Glory has finger-snapping on the recording. Although it's a bit more reminiscent of "West Side Story" to me.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Pieces that use strong back beats, swung eighths or syncopation propel one to use finger snaps. But using them audibly at church would be self-serving and distracting. Perhaps directors could teach such nuances by having choristers internalize the snaps. It would be analogous to Robert Shaw's counting beats method of sight-reading/rehearsal of sections.
  • This is the mass setting that the University of Dayton (a Catholic Marianist University) uses at the majority of its masses
  • One of my choir's way of picking an appropriate setting:
    367 x 374 - 118K