Bach St John Passion in place of reading
  • Is this even permitted?
  • BenBen
    Unless it's sung by three clerics without accompaniment, nope :)
  • NO or EF, Noeisdas?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Three clerics ??? I'm not a cleric, but I've chanted the Evangelist role of the St. John Passion several times at the Good Friday liturgy ... most recently last year.
  • chonakchonak
    Lay cantors are definitely allowed in the OF. If I remember right, old-time EF attenders have told me that (in practice) they were also used for the Narrator, the Speaker, and the Turba; but I haven't found an explicit permission for this yet.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • OF. We are not really that big of a traditional church. We spend way too much time on contemporary music and "modernizing" the mass.
  • MatthewRoth
    For the traditional rite, the subdeacon of the Mass of the pre-sanctified had to be a deacon, technically, but oddly, the turba could be a lay choir per a decision of the SCR in the 1890s, confirming the use of the Renaissance & Baroque settings.

But to replace all three or even two with laymen is crazy...the lone layman should at least be straw subdeacon, not someone plucked just for this.
  • doneill
    The original German would not match the currently approved German lectionary, and the interspersed chorales probably would not be permitted. I suppose if one were able to adapt it into the current German or English, but why? It's probably better as a concert or para-liturgical event.
  • Just do it in German and, if people complain, tell them you sang it in Latin.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I wonder about the sheer duration of the Bach St John Passion making it perhaps unsuitable for the Good Friday liturgy. Typical performances run from about 1 hour 40 minutes to well over 2 hours. Even cutting the opening chorus and non-liturgical chorales would still involve a performance time of close to an hour, and the omission of these parts, which are so essential to the structure of the Bach work, would greatly diminish the musical integrity of such a performance.
  • CharlesW
    Let us kneel. Let us stand. Don't remind me of Good Friday liturgy. LOL
  • tomjaw
    Let us kneel. Let us stand. Don't remind me of Good Friday liturgy. LOL

It could be worse the Prayers could have been written by those that write the usual bidding prayers...
    "Let us pray for the oppressed felt banner makers..."
    "Let us pray for those that make giant liturgical puppets..."
    "Let us pray for the Vestal virgins liturgical dancers..."
  • ghmus7
    The Lutheran Mass of Bach's time was 5-6 hours, with a complete cantata, mass motets and a very long sermon.
  • CharlesW
    "Let us pray for the oppressed felt banner makers..."

I once heard a lady say, "Let us pray for sexual justice." What the H does that even mean? I have no idea what she was talking about.
  • MatthewRoth
    Odds are is that it was a feminist intention combined with some level of dissent on the church’s sexual teachings.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    Or it could be for redistribution.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood fcb
  • fcbfcb
    You could do the Passion Liturgy at noon and then follow it with the Bach at 1:30, as a kind of extension of the adoration of the wood of the cross, which could be left out for veneration. The hard core types who want to mark Christ's three hours on the cross could go to both.
  • We do the Passion Liturgy at 1:00 but I couldn't see the choir being able to do such a thing... and the priest probably wouldn't allow it
  • FCB--- whom I think some here call Deacon Fritz --,

What you're proposing sounds alarmingly (but not identically ) like the odd custom I encountered some years ago: interrupt the Passion with the singing of Were You There when They Crucified my Lord. No, the two pieces of music aren't identical but the idea of the interruption of the Passion strikes me as Unready (in the sense of "badly advised".
  • Oh yeah and at Christmas another choir interrupts the gospel to sing O Come All Ye Faithful and at the end they sing this weird carol "Happy Birthday Jesus". Yes, it is the Children's mass.
  • dad29
    interrupt the Passion with the singing of Were You There

Passio Interruptus is a 'tradition' at the parish nearby. Having suffered *cough* through that for the third year in a row, my family and I joined another parish on Easter Wednesday.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Passio Interruptus

Interrupta. :-)
  • fcbfcb
    CGZ--I wasn't proposing any interruption. I was suggesting that the Passion liturgy be done in its entirety and then, as an act of Good Friday devotion that would fill out the rest of the traditional "three hours," the Bach Passion could be sung for those who wish to remain. I don't see any rubrical problem with this and don't see it as significantly different that having any other sort of devotions on good Friday.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Makes sense to me, fcb.
  • Deacon Fritz,

Thank you for clarifying. I misunderstood.

May I suggest silent meditation on the 7 last words?
  • dad29
    I was suggesting that the Passion liturgy be done in its entirety and then, as an act of Good Friday devotion that would fill out the rest of the traditional "three hours," the Bach Passion could be sung for those who wish to remain.

I've often dreamed about putting that sort of thing together, too. Find ~20 instrumentalists, 4 good soloists, and a chorus, and voila!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • May I suggest silent meditation on the 7 last words?

Why? That's an experience available to you any time...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've often dreamed about putting that sort of thing together, too. Find ~20 instrumentalists, 4 good soloists, and a chorus, and voila!
    You might want a good chorus with experience in oratorio singing, or else you may have to spend an inordinate amount of time preparing your church choir to do the job. Singing the St John Passion (especially some of its choruses) is not exactly the same as singing hymns and motets. If it is to be done well ... and that's the way it should be done ... it takes a lot of work for a chorus/choir not accustomed to presenting such a large work.
  • fcbfcb
    I would add that if I were a pastor (hahahahahahahahaha) and I had a music director that had the desire and the ability to put on a performance of St. John's Passion, I would probably suggest doing it on Palm Sunday afternoon (as a kind of entree into Holy Week), since it seems a bit much for Good Friday, which to my mind calls for more austerity.
  • MatthewRoth
    Agreed. Or even the day before...
  • Noel,

Deacon Fritz anticipated my response. That said, I was struck yesterday by a very short silent retreat I attended. Silence is, too often, something musicians seem to think need to be filled, as if it is a vacuum.
  • dad29
    Silence is, too often, something musicians seem to think need to be filled, as if it is a vacuum.

Yah, well, it's the old carpenter/hammer-solution thing.

But then, one priest ordered me to play the organ darn near straight-through the Mass if the choir wasn't singing and he wasn't preaching. I ignored him, of course, which had the inevitable (and for me, very pleasing) result.
  • MatthewRoth
    We’ve had this discussion before regarding improvisation... The musical richness of days other than Good Friday, starker than all of Lent, contrasts to that liturgy in which there is no music at the entrance or exit, and all the music is sung as appointed in the missal. Okay, in the Novus Ordo you have wiggle room, but at Adoration of the Cross there is music. In the traditional rite, there is no Communion, so there are no extra psalms and hymns, unlike in the later two versions of the liturgy.

I know what I would have done if you ignored that. So I am curious: what was the priest’s reaction?
  • dad29
    Huh?
  • Liam
    Deacon Fritz

While I am sympathetic to that recommendation, it should be noted that JS Bach's settings of the Passions were acutely designed according to the liturgical calendar. The St Matthew Passion for Palm Sunday ends on a somber chorus that presages the week to come. In stark contrast, after three grief-stricken arias and final narrative, the St John Passion ends with a bittersweet lullaby followed by a brief but deeply moving chorale that emphatically pivots towards the Resurrection. It's a genius moment of the latter Passion setting that is typically overlooked by people who only know the works in concert settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrA7DBmeNI

(Chorale begins around the 6:55 mark)

Ach Herr, laß dein lieb' Engelein
    Am letzten End die Seele mein
    In Abrahams Schoß tragen,
    Den Leib in seim Schlafkämmerlein
    Gar sanft ohn ein'ge Qual und Pein
    Ruh'n bis am jüngsten Tage!
    Alsdenn vom Tod erwecke mich,
    Daß meine Augen sehen dich
    In aller Freud, o Gottes Sohn,
    Mein Heiland und Genadenthron!
    Herr Jesu Christ, erhöre mich! (2x)
    Ich will dich preisen ewiglich!

Ah Lord, let thine own angels dear
    At my last hour my spirit bear
    To Abraham's own bosom,
    My body in its simple bed
    In peace without distress and dread
    Rest till the day of judgment!
    And then from death awaken me,
    That with mine eyes I may see thee
    In fullest joy, O God's own Son,
    My Savior and my mercy-throne!
    Lord Jesus Christ, give ear to me! (2x)
    I would thee praise eternally!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Liam, I'm well aware of the significance of the way the St John Passion ends, as opposed to that of the St Matthew Passion.

The St John Passion was the earliest setting composed by Bach and was performed on Good Friday of 1724, 1725, 1732, and 1749 at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig. The texts for the arias in this setting are taken from the older Brockes Passion. The concluding Chorale "Ach Herr, laß dein lieb' Engelein" is indeed one of the most poignant and well-considered moments in all of Bach's choral writing.

However, contrary to what you said about the St Matthew Passion being written for Palm Sunday, it was composed in 1727 for (and probably first performed on) Good Friday of 1727, also performed on Good Friday of 1729, and, with some revisions, again on the Good Fridays of 1736 and 1742. After that, Bach once more revised the work in the interval between 1743 and 1746. It does not seem to have been performed on Palm Sunday during Bach's tenure in Leipzig. The text for most of the recitatives and arias, as well as for the major opening and conluding chorus movements, is by Picander (a nom de plume for the librettist Christian Friedrich Henrici), although there are parts of the libretto that come from Salomo Franck and the Brockes Passion. The chorales come from a variety of sources, notably Paul Gerhardt and Johann Heermann.
  • Liam
    Chuck

Thanks for that very informative correction of my error!
  • Professional musicians know that music is the interruption of silence and choose the interruptions as carefully as the silence before, during and at the end of the music...as well as between notes.
  • One of my fondest Holy Week observances is to, after attending the Palm Sunday liturgy at Walsinghm, have brunch and then proceed to Christ the King Lutheran Church to hear one of the Bach passions by Houston's internationally recognised Bach Society. Then, after the Good Friday liturgy at Walsingham to have supper and proceed to either St John the Divine or St Martin's Episcopal for a Brahms or Mozart requiem or some other such sacred concert. It may be different in more civilised parts of this country of ours, but in these parts hearing such music performed to such standards would never enter the mind of any Catholic choirmaster or pastor - except at Walsingham.

And, in praise of Noel's remark just above let me amplify it just slightly. The silence is music. Also, it may be an integral part of the music. In music we 'play' sounds, but we also 'play' silences. I have no doubt that Noel is privy to these niceties, but it never hurts to call attention to them. A rest is not just getting off a note, or an invitation to count beats until the next 'sound' is played. The 'soundless' quality of a rest that is properly 'played' is as profound in importance to intellect and emotion as is the 'sound' played as instructed by the score.
  • dad29
    it takes a lot of work for a chorus/choir not accustomed to presenting such a large work.

Yup. Sang it (and the St. Matthew) a couple of times. NOT for the average parish choir.