Divine Mercy Sunday in EF
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Is Divine Mercy Sunday even a thing in the EF? My boss would like me to do the Inwood hymn, which I'd rather not do since there are better Easter hymns competing for that spot. My instinct says it isn't, since it postdates the '61 Missal. But I'd like to be on solid ground if push came to shove. It's not like we CAN'T do it, since it will be officially outside mass, for processional/recessional.
  • MatthewRoth
    There are no liturgical changes to the Mass. The name alone was modified. The prayers which merit indulgences are available to TLM-goers since the Raccolta is no longer in force and the Enchiridion is. The promises were of course made before 1962, and in Poland the special veneration occured following the instructions given to St. Faustina as is done in many (most? All?) places nowadays.

I would say that such a mediocre hymn would just make people mad. I sang it in Spanish at the monthly Spanish Mass here, and it was better than I thought, but it was by no means fantastic.

The devotion might not even be a problem... Some trads hate it, but I don’t know why. It’s just a deepening of the Eucharistic devotion.
  • CharlesW
    I am doing the 2nd Sunday of Easter and have chosen music for that in the OF. The rosary enthusiasts are meeting later in the day to do Divine Mercy chaplets and whatever else they have planned. I won't be there. I suspect that devotion might not have advanced as far if we had not had a Polish pope. I have nothing against it, I just never got into it.

Inwood. No need to use bad words. Your mother should wash your mouth out with Ivory.
  • Liam
    CharlesW

I guess I've taken it to be a variation on an older devotion: the Sacred Heart devotion, that is.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    If an organist plays the hymn "Inwood", and no one's around to hear it, is it still a Divine Mercy hymn?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Ben
  • Liam
    Or a divine mercy hymn?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    God hears everything.
  • A clever variant on the old 'if a tree falls in the Alaskan wilderness and no one....'
    Yes and no. There are, to be sure, sound waves, but, like everything else in this universe, if no one 'hears' or 'makes human sense' out of them, they do not rise to 'sound' - or have any meaning, for there is no perceiving intelligence to assign meaning to them.
    They are no different from the 'unheard' sound waves of falling rocks on a distant planet.
    Of course, there is God. But he made all this for us, didn't he.
  • BenBen
    Is Divine Mercy Sunday even a thing in the EF?

Define "thing..." If by "thing" you mean "in the missal and on the calendar," no.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Thanked by 1Ben