Agnus Dei for Holy Thursday
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Hey, everybody, I was perusing my GR for today's Mass, and found the following instruction: Ad triplex Agnus Dei, ter respondetur miserere nobis. Does this mean the "dona nobis pacem" is not sung and instead a third "miserere nobis" would be?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Very interesting! I learned something new this morning!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Interesting. I've been doing it wrong for years and never knew it until today.
  • Liam
    Is outrage!
  • SalieriSalieri
    But that's only for the EF, isn't it?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • This is a very interesting find. It appears that the instruction is only for the EF as no similar instruction appears in any OF sources that I can see. As much as I like the change, I would be hesitant to change/leave out any of the text in the OF since there isn't anything written to that regard.
    The Catholic Encyclopedia makes mention of the tradition here; http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01221a.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I've never been to a Holy Thursday Mass in the EF.
    I have in the OF, and I know we've done the 3x miserere nobis before.
  • Liam
    The pax is not required to be omitted from the OF liturgy, so it wouldn't make sense to change the Agnus Dei.
  • MatthewRoth
    It was one of the few good changes Pius XII made. The Lateran canons always sang the prayer that way.
  • CharlesW
    EF, shmee-F.

I wasn't aware of this but will not throw it at my choir at the last minute. They get confused enough under normal circumstances. They will sing, "dona nobis pacem" like they have for all of Lent. I may look at it next year if I remember. It isn't in the texts we use so the congregation would be clueless.