• Lisa
    I have heard that the Phos Hilaron was originally only part of an entire daily prayer collection. Does anyone have access to the other chants, morning, mid day etc., or have they been lost over the centuries.

Thanks for your help!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JahazaJahaza
    A number of sources suggest that it comes from the Constitutiones Apostolicae, but this seems not to be the case! This is interesting, I will dig more.

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    See this forum thread for more information.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Right, so that thread, like a number of secondary sources says that it is found in the Apostolic Constitutions. But I looked at a Latin/Greek edition of the Apostolic Constitutions (ed. Funk) but I can't find it in there. I think that's a conflation/misunderstanding of some of the other secondary sources.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I am told that there is a reference in the Apostolic Constitutions at Book 8:34ff, to the candle lighting song, it seems to be just an assumption that the Phos Hilaron is that song. Perhaps when I have time I can give a better reference.
  • a_f_hawkins

A couple of quotations from
    Vassiliadis, Petros. "From the Pauline Collection to Phos Hilaron of Cappadocia", p. 4--5.
    The earliest document with the Phos Hilaron in the present version is the 11/12th c. Constantinopolitan Synaxarion; In its earlier primitive form, only slightly differing from today’s version, appears in the Codex Alexandrinus (5th c.); but it is indirectly referred to back in the 3rd century (see below).
    St. Basil the Great (329-379 AD), therefore, most probably spoke of the singing of the Phos Hilaron as a cherished tradition of the church, a hymn already considered old in his day. Some people have attributed the composition of the hymn to St Basil himself, while others to Saint Athenogenes on his way to martyrdom. Athenogenes, a saint of unknown date, but commemorated on July 16, is believed by some to have been the author of the hymn, because St. Basil mentioned his martyrdom immediately after he mentioned the Phos Ilaron. ...
    The Roman Martyrology states: "In Pontus, the birthday of Saint Athenogenes, [is celebrated. He was] an aged theologian, who, when about to consummate his martyrdom by fire, sang a hymn of joy, which he left in writing to his disciples."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen