German Antiphonale
  • I see the Germans have had this book

http://amzn.to/1R37E4z

since 1979, & that now there is an android app based on it.

Is there anything like it in English?
  • igneusigneus
    Is there anything like it in English?

Printed and on store? No. There is no such English antiphonal with through-composed antiphons and responsories.

1. In second-hand bookstores you may look for
    Cumming Hildelith: Music for Evening Prayer for Sundays, Holy Days and Feast of the Lord, London: Collins 1978.
    (I haven't ever seen it, I only know it exists.)

2. There is one English antiphonal online http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/10756/organ-accompaniment-for-office-antiphons (see one of the first posts for a link to dropbox with the scans)
    Thanked by 1bobmounger
  • igneusigneus
    @bobmounger Are you also interested in English resources that don't follow the Liturgy of the Hours? There is e.g. a "translation" of the monastic office or chant books of a certain non-Catholic religious order.
  • wjcb112
    Does anyone know if there is a translation into English of the Introduction and articles in the Benediktinisches Antiphonales - those magnificent books from Munsterschwarzach Abbey please? Also perhaps if Volume 1 is likely to come back into print?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Looking at this website I think that igneus has confused the music sourcebook for the outdated, and unofficial, 1970 office translation, with the very limited 1975 book for parishes. The latter applies a variety of music, including Anglican Chant, to the texts still in use in the UK, Australia etc. for EPII on Sundays. The 1975 book was in regular use at St George's Cathedral, Southwark during the 1990s.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • igneusigneus
    @a_f_hawkins I haven't seen the book personally. I only know about it from secondary sources, which makes any kind of confusion very well possible.