Updated Holy Week congregation booklets (E.F.)
  • Hugh
    Updated here are my congregation booklets for the Holy Week ceremonies, extraordinary form. Some small corrections, but the main additions are the Complines for Holy Thursday and Good Friday evenings at the end of those respective booklets, plus an insertion of the melody and text of "O Sacred Head" at the end of the Palm Sunday booklet. (This can be removed and substituted for another hymn if anyone requests it of me.)

Palm Sunday
    Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper
    Good Friday
    Easter Vigil

Any corrections welcome.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Do Palm Sunday and the Easter Vigil not get Marian antiphons?
  • tomjaw
    We would sing the Marian Anthem (after the Prayer for the Queen) on Palm Sunday... and I am not sure about the Easter Vigil, but I think we have sung the Regina Caeli at the end of Mass, for us that would be after Vespers as pre-1955.

Of course singing the Marian Anthem after sung Mass is a custom only in some places, I think it is more common in Australia to sing a Hymn after Mass.
  • The last hymn could be written in SATB as it was in the Ordinariate Ordination program. Other than that, much better than what I have seen from some parishes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    This is a question concerning law, not music, so people should feel free to ignore it, but I notice in the Vigil booklet that it says that if adults are baptized and the bishop is present, he is to confirm them. Would the permission for priests to confirm adults they have baptized not extend to the EF, since this is a matter of canon law (canon 883.2), and not simply liturgical law? I'm not a canonist, but it seems to me that canon 885.2 ("A presbyter who has this faculty [to administer Confirmation] must use it for those in whose favor the faculty was granted") implied that a priest not only can but must confirm adults he baptizes.

I guess I'm mainly interested in what the experience of those who attend the EF generally is. Does the priest sometimes/always/never Confirm adults who get baptized?
  • rarty
    Priests can (and do, in my experience) confirm adults baptized at EF Paschal Vigils, but it could depend on the diocese as some might not extend this faculty to all pastors (or any priest licitly baptizing an adult) by default.

The possibility of confirmation by a priests actually predates Vatican II, and a new chapter, for confirmation, was added to the 1952 Rituale.
    Thanked by 1fcb
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I'm just going to stick this here in case it is helpful to anyone, in the future.
    To cut just a little bit on the length of the Tract, this is my edited version, and how we sang it on Palm Sunday. (There were only 2 of us for this Mass, so we actually sang it in the format of Choir, Cantor 1, Choir, Cantor 2, Choir, Cantor 1, etc.)

Attached is the pdf which includes the simplified Gradual + Tract.
    (Gradual started on Bb, Tract on G, and so it flowed quite well, really.
    Allergy season made it really difficult for us to have any practice time even on our own, not to mention together. )
    The priest was coming back from an ordination, and so we didn't have time to do the full procession + Gospel with the palms - so, this what our music looked like.
  • tomjaw
    @CCooze
    That is a good idea to abbreviate the Tract, we have done this for the 1st Sunday of Lent, although we did not set it out in the beautiful way you have done above.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Thanks.
    It took a good amount of time at the computer (and refitting to look better in the pdf), but the ease of reading was well worth the effort.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Just bumping this, because I'm sure Lenten programming is afoot.

(Also, here's a page of just the gradual + abbreviated (music, not text) tract that is included in my Palm Sunday file, above: Palm Sunday Gradual & Tract )
  • tomjaw
    Good news for us we get to sing all the Tracts in full, sadly we will not have time to learn the Isaac settings!