Using actual Latin Hymns at an actual Latin Mass - a taboo few dare to cross!
  • I want to know why very few people will use a latin hymn at a latin mass. Can anyone think of a time when they hear this combination? I do not mean a motet or a processional but a regular latin hymn at the end of a mass on a regular basis and no other language hymns, strictly latin hymns at a latin mass. It seems that there is a taboo against this for priests. What is the explanation for this behaviour? How can we combat it and make it known that we like latin hymns at latin masses?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • tomjaw
    Firstly it is more traditional to sing the Marian Anthem after Mass, so many of us that would sing a Latin hymn sing the anthem instead.
    Secondly, Hymns and Mass are not a Traditional combination.
    Thirdly, As far as I know we don't have a Hymn book of Latin Hymns.

We regularly sing Latin Hymns as Processionals, and Motets.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz CCooze
  • igneusigneus
    "Secondly, Hymns and Mass are not a Traditional combination." Speaking for the Central Europe, I have to oppose that. It is very traditional, at least in the sense of "very old custom" (several hundreds of years). But singing hymns at Mass in Latin definitely is not - hymnody has always been here for the people and so it must be understandable. The whole of the congregation hasn't ever been expected to understand Latin. Thus the hymns have always been generally vernacular.
  • MatthewRoth
    The trouble is that young trads rightly want Sung or Solemn Mass, and vernacular hymns are contra legem at those liturgies. Latin hymns in time feel weird if the rest is chant.

While I want to respect local custom, I have to say the practice I ran into of singing vernacular hymns and not the propers at Solemn High Mass ought to be eliminated...

And tomjaw is right, really. Hymns are for the Divine Office.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • We sing Latin hymns all the time at the SSPX church I attend regularly, but there are some factors contributing to this:

1) The choir has been used to using the New Saint Basil for decades and doesn't feel comfortable making a trek into polyphony land just yet, and having a contrafactum to a tune you already recognize makes life so much easier.

2) Our choir director is half our age (I'm in my early thirties, mind you) and is still learning his craft. (He had "Gloria Laus Honor" listed for singing last Sunday, until someone pointed out that this was too soon.)
    Thanked by 3Ben CCooze CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Popular vernacular hymns are actually not contra legem (according to the rubrics of the 1962 Missale Romanum) at the EF Sung Mass if they are sung before or after Mass. (c.f. Musicae sacrae disciplina). See also B. Andrew Mills' Psallite Sapienter, and the guidelines for music at an EF High Mass according to the 1962 Missale Romanum by the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

However, I agree that the strange practice of singing vernacular hymns but omitting the full Gregorian propers at a Sung Mass should also be eliminated. The way I think of it, why not use both, if it is allowed (which it is). I believe unaccompanied Gregorian propers and a mass setting from the Kyriale with complementary Anglican hymnody and polyphonic motets achieve an almost synergistic effect when employed together.

At our chapel the pastor gave me a copy of The Anglican Hymnal when I arrived six years ago, and he encouraged us to sing appropriate vernacular hymns at the opening and closing of our EF Missa Cantata. It has been my practice to take great care to choose beautiful English hymns that complement the proper texts of the Sunday. I do my best to echo the words of the propers and readings in the hymns we sing. Of great help is The New English Hymnal which has an index of hymns for each Sunday of the year and The Anglican Hymnal which has an index of biblical citations. I also look at the Cantica Nova website and cpdl.org.

I know it's also perfectly acceptable to use Latin hymns which can also be beautifully coordinated in proprio de tempore, but I think I was forever prejudiced against that custom by having to hear a mournful rendition of "Adoro te devote" every Sunday as the opening hymn at the EF Mass I used to attend, followed after Mass by an equally lagubrious bizarrely out-of-context Latin hymn.

Using appropriate vernacular hymns at the Latin Mass is a valuable opportunity to extend the "themes" (I know that is a very hated word but I can't think of a better one right now) of that Sunday's Mass or the liturgical season in a way the people can easily assimilate and carry home with them. The Catholic and Anglican hymns for Lent are so beautiful, and I am so happy that I can introduce my congregation to them. I found it very moving, for example, last Sunday to hear the people singing "God of mercy and compassion" with all their heart at the end of Mass, accompanied by the girls in the schola singing their descant:

Jesus, Lord, I ask for mercy;
    Let me not implore in vain;
    All my sins, I now detest them,
    Never will I sin again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4W_CLRW9Lo
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I might add, in reference to the Latin Mass I mentioned above that the unfortunate practice of singing sad, out-of-context Latin hymns at the beginning and end of Mass, along with the priest saying the Latin prayers at 100 mph, with absolutely zero opportunity for congregational participation, helped ensure an anemic attendance at that Mass which was the excuse the pastor used to cancel it at the first chance he had.

Here's the real irony of it all: the people of the parish, by virtue of the fact that they were exposed to almost everything the EF Latin Mass should not be, according to the "essential criteria" of Vatican II, were thus effectively immunized against ever desiring the Latin Mass in any way, shape or form again. One other sad result is that those of us who worked for years to bring the Latin Mass to a local parish were relieved in some way that this Mass was taken off the schedule, precisely because of the damage it was doing by teaching the people what a Latin Mass should not be, and, by doing this, reinforcing the worst of the liberal prejudices and stereotypes of the Latin Mass. I think it can truly be said that at this particular parish, the "conservatives" did more to destroy the desire for the traditional Mass than the "liberals" ever could have, and they did this by playing into every false, stale liberal canard hurled against the traditional Latin Mass.

To those who want to impose all-Latin, all-the-time, (along with an all-male schola!) at the EF, I'd just say, "Be careful; you might end up being your worst enemy, and you may end up destroying any chance of success with the Latin Mass more than any "liberal" ever could. Instead, stay within the rubrics and the nigrics (I just discovered that word the other day in Cardinal Ratzinger's book!) to create a paradigm of the ancient Roman rite that will appeal to as broad a spectrum of the Catholic faithful as you can."

I guess to some I sound like a wild-eyed, hippy, flower-child, liturgical kook, but I think Cardinal Ratzinger's and Cardinal Sarah's advice about following the "essential criteria" of Sacrosanctum Concilium apply here---that we should be very careful about ending up with a paradigm of the EF Latin Mass which seems to be "irreconcilably opposed" to the OF:

"This is why it is very important to observe the essential criteria of the Constitution on the Liturgy, which I quoted above, including when one celebrates according to the old Missal! The moment when this liturgy truly touches the faithful with its beauty and its richness, then it will be loved, then it will no longer be irreconcilably opposed to the new Liturgy, providing that these criteria are indeed applied as the Council wished."
  • CCoozeCCooze
    along with an all-male schola

Hey, now... if we had the male voices to handle everything, I would gladly give up my spot in the schola in a heartbeat! I've yet to hear anything so lovely as a well-trained male schola singing Gregorian chant.

Even though I love chant, and sing 3 EF Masses per month, there's just an obvious difference with things "sounding high" when females are chanting, as opposed to males (with the exception of one of our priests who will sing his incipits ridiculously high if we don't take care to give them to him first - this still probably wouldn't sound as crazy if it were men continuing it, though, instead of ladies who want to sing things in their preferred range instead of taking it down an octave).

--------

Is the OP in reference to entrance/exit hymns?

We never sing anything in the vernacular during an EF Mass.

I do think congregants enjoy getting to sing along to something they "understand" at some point in their church day, though, and so I don't have a problem with hymns in the vernacular before or after Mass, when appropriate (our priests exit in silence at both the OF and EF during Lent - which I think is great, except for the fact that it is announced every time).

We'll actually be singing the Schmuck "Jesu Dulcis Memoria" this Sunday at the Offertory which can be found in the St. Gregory Hymnal and on CPDL. It's quite lovely, and while a hymn, can easily be used (and my sound to some) as a motet.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    To those who want to impose all-Latin, all-the-time, (along with an all-male schola!) at the EF, I'd just say, "Be careful; you might end up being your worst enemy, and you may end up destroying any chance of success with the Latin Mass more than any "liberal" ever could.

This is called "Letting the fussbudget be the enemy of the good."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • http://www.lillhannus.net/piae-cantiones/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piae_Cantiones

Why does this exist, what in your opinion is it's purpose and is it a good hymnal for use after and before a Mass?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    I would like a vernacular hymn if we did the Asperges. Being a diocesan parish, the TLM is last, and so we do the Introit instead. At the end, we usually do the Marian anthem, and then we process in silence, to a hymn, or, usually when it is allowed, the organ.

I was referring to within Mass when I mentioned vernacular hymns. Of course they are allowed at Low Mass.

Both male and female voices have their place.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    I would rather hear a classic vernacular hymn as recessional, than a discordant improvisation on the organ. If you intend to play a postlude, at least play good organ literature. It is inspiring to hear the congregation joyfully singing a good hymn.
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I just wanted to make it clear that vernacular hymns are allowed as entrance and closing hymns at the EF Sung Mass (and during an EF Low Mass) according to the rubrics of the 1962 Missale Romanum since it didn't seem clear in the OP.

Re: an all-male schola, I apologize for bringing up that particular controversy, but I and other women I know have first-hand experience with the (unpleasant) praxis of excluding women from singing the propers, and while it is perfectly legitimate to do so de jure, it seems to me if there are de facto competent, willing women chant scholars, they certainly ought to be offered a place in singing the texts of the Mass. To exclude them seems to me to perpetuate unnecessarily the false perception that the traditional Latin Mass is an exclusive male, clerical domain, and that women and the majority of the laity are consigned to be completely passive and silent, an attitude that was pretty much repudiated by the "essential criteria" of Sacrosanctum Concilium.

It has been my experience that if one has the opportunity to present the EF to an OF parish, the least successful paradigm is one in which the people are kept completely silent and women have little or no role (in the schola). I just don't see the majority of Catholics having much sympathy for that model. Perhaps it works in isolated communities, but I don't believe it has very much appeal in large metropolitan parishes.

BTW, I see that SSPX America recently put out a newsletter in which a lay (male) music director stipulated that it was preferable for men to sing the propers. I wish I could tell him that is not the praxis of SSPX France where mixed scholae are largely in use, and women are being trained to be chant masters.
  • MatthewRoth
    I think it is preferable, and if the church allows for them to be in front, then the men should sing. But that doesn’t rule out a girls’ or women’s schola. Some chants are better with one voice or the other.

Charles, Paul Weber was the DM, so that made the difference.
    Thanked by 2CCooze hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    Charles, Paul Weber was the DM, so that made the difference.

Of course it would make a difference. He is one of the best. A local organist was one of his students and speaks highly of him.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I really think that women find far too much to be offended by in the Church and churches.

As a female (in case anyone was confused) who regularly sings both in a schola and at least once (often twice-) a month as a solo-chanter (we have the EF in 2 churches in the area), I do think it preferable for men to sing the propers.

I don't think anyone would claim that I wasn't competent or willing in matters of chant.
    I don't mind being part of a schola.
    If I did I clearly wouldn't part of 1 or 2.
    But, if there are enough (at least 3 or 4) competent men chanters, then why shouldn't they be the ones to sing the propers?
    "it was preferable for men to sing the propers" - it sounds as though ladies can still sing motets and such. So what's the big deal?
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I am delighted to add "nigric" to my vocabulary.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CCooze
  • I was asked by a priest to choose two hymns, one for before and one for after the low mass, until he is prepared to celebrate a sung mass with propers. He asked that the hymns be in the english language not latin language. I have nothing against this in principle, but in practice I find their to be very little hymnody existing in english that complements the nature of the proper music at mass. All I know of are office hymns, but they seem somewhat odd because...they are for the office, it seems redundant to use them at mass.

I do in fact like hymns, but I mostly prefer ones which are historic from before the 16th century and have melodies closely related to the gregorian modes, very similar to sequences or proses. What is frustrating is that most of them do not exist outside of the latin language very often. So I am stuck using protestant sounding hymns to a certain extent... but i am at least attempting to avoid them as much as possible.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The New English Hymnal has many ancient seasonal Latin antiphons and canticles which have lovely English translations fitted to the original chant melody with keyboard accompaniment. It seems to me one could use these with the original Latin, too.

The 1906 edition is online here: http://imslp.org/wiki/The_English_Hymnal_(Various)

(Re: rubrics and nigrics, here is the quote from Cardinal Ratzinger's book, where he is quoting his professor of liturgy, Joseph Pascher:

"It is not enough to observe the rubrics---the external ceremonial directions; much more important is the claim of the nigrics---the inner demand made by what is printed in black, that is, by the liturgical text itself, which as such includes interaction in hearing and responding, in prayer, acclamation and song."

p. 586, Collected Works: Theology of the Liturgy)

• Re: all-male scholae - I am a proud supporter of G.R.O.S.S., although not dogmatically so.

Re: Latin hymns - The Pius X Hymnal (not the one that Williamson edited, although that one is pretty good) has quite a few Latin hymns which are very nice. The choir I direct is currently learning this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKzsA91uUj8
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I serve as music director for St. Anne Church in San Diego, a FSSP parish. For the most part, I program vernacular hymns outside the mass as entrance and final hymns and "stuff" the mass with Latin hymns whenever possible. Our pastor has expressed an interest in the faithful getting to know both vernacular (English and Spanish, in our case) and Latin hymns. So, personally, I can't imagine not singing Latin hymns.

Julie, thanks for all your research and obedience with regard to not making things needlessly narrow. I concur with your findings as to the actual teachings of the Church regarding sacred music, and gladly accept competent authority over the preferences of individuals, esteemed colleagues though they may be.
  • The point I make is this:

Learn from the mistakes of the past do not repeat them over again.

The seeds of destructive habits in liturgical music is in imposing music into it which does not fit the character of the mass, and is of protestant origin, or is of arbitrary , drastically different melodic character. A clash of melody a clash of theology, etc.

What is needed is a hymnal which draws upon the mass ordinary, tropes, sequences, processional hymns from the pre-16th c. time period. Piae cantiones and a number of the solesmes books fill that void, but they do not exist in the "vernacular".

Currently, the vernacular hymnals used, even by most members of this forum, are not truly suitable for Catholic worship - at least not in the mindset of "historic liturgy" and "early music". They are not absolutely evil - simply seriously flawed - in one way or another. They fit a modern post-protestant influence of liturgy. They are really far removed from the ideal - far removed from history. If your goal is to compromise and work within what has developed, than you will think I am strange, but if you want what is actual historic practice you will be on the exact same page as I am.

It is my assessment that someone needs to begin work on a vernacular hymnal that is totally original in terms of translation. Which draws strictly from the latin liturgy of long LONG ago. A hymnal that gives a coherent tasteful liturgical clarity which is based upon plainchant, rich theological poetry of a patristic model and simple polyphony.

Until one stops imposing protestant hymns into the mass, the roots of destruction will be ever present and the inherent individualized notion of do it yourself freestyle melody will continue to permeate western latin christianity.

Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is a radical proposal, Chris, and as startling as it is to hear someone suggest, if I understand you correctly, that liturgical music which incorporates freestyle melody is deleterious to the fabric of the Catholic faith---a notion I haven't come across in the pre- and post-conciliar documents on the liturgy---I do admire your resolute dedication to principle.

Perhaps you would appreciate the work of Henri de Villiers and the Schola Sainte Cecile. They use plainsong as their entrance and closing hymns, in alternatim with polyphony. Here is a sample of the Audi, Benigne with polyphonic verses by Bournonville which they use during Lent.

I would just add that Cardinal Ratzinger has spoken of how the Western liturgy is the fruit of an organic, centuries-long development (although it was replaced after Vatican II with a fabrication, a banal product of the moment)---in contrast to the Oriental liturgy which, as he says, "became fixed in the fourteenth century."

It seems to me that what you are proposing is a similar idea: to freeze the development of sacred hymnody at circa 1517 when Luther hammered his 95 Theses to the door. Are there any hymns composed after 1517 that would meet your criteria of liturgical purity? I'm just curious.
  • dad29
    I am a proud supporter of G.R.O.S.S., although not dogmatically so.

About the same here. Had a micro-choir (EF) and two of the four men (self included) could easily do the Chant--the other two were...ahhh....chant-challenged. So we included the women, one of whom was a rock-star soprano who knew how to be a choral singer, too. (There were 4 women; the other 3 were not detriments.)

Took a lot of heat from a very ignorant priest-celebrant over that. Another "purity over reality" guy. When I had 12 competent men in the prior assignment, we went men-only, b/c it works very well, indeed.
  • I think that the Yattendon Hymnal is a decent compilation.. I do not notice much theological richness in the lyrics, but I can say that the melodies it uses are some of the better ones, as far as modern music goes. I like some of the protestant hymns on "hymnoglypt" my friend Matthew's blog. http://matthaeusglyptes.blogspot.com/2015/11/wie-stellet-doch-der-schlangen-list.html

HOW sly the serpent’s craft, that seeks
    The simple soul to capture!
    How charming are the words it speaks,
    Its deeds—how they enrapture!
    When it desires a prize for hell,
    It waits in silence, pond’ring well
    How it may strike the godly.

2 Such is the serpent’s winding way,
    That with its coils embraces;
    Whose heart unguarded stands today
    A fall tomorrow faces;
    The serpent’s cunning closely hears
    What speech from simple men appears,
    That it may them entangle.

3 The Pharisaic mind indeed
    Is neither dead nor distant;
    Today, when men the Scriptures read,
    Their servants come, persistent;
    Not far are Herod’s foxes then
    When godliness is preached to men,
    But they rush in, disputing.

4 The very truth they well may own,
    And say, Thou teachest rightly
    The Way that leads to heav’n alone;—
    Esteeming it not lightly;
    Yet he whom God the Lord shall move,
    These Herod’s servants to reprove,
    Is soon as dubious slandered.

5 If they can catch one word, they cry,
    Oh, heretic! Offender!
    And so to stop the truth they try
    With fair façade and splendor;
    Alone the Spirit’s thund’rous Word
    Shall stand and never be deterred
    And bring such foes to ruin.

6 Ye souls which love the truth sincere
    and godly conversation,
    Strong in the Spirit be, nor fear:
    Yours is in strife salvation;
    If Christ Himself has suffered so,
    Fret not that it should o’er you go,
    God will the truth keep safely.

7 Ask they the reason for your faith,
    The doctrine true and living,
    Bear witness, even unto death,
    To God the glory giving;
    God will be with you mightily
    And will Himself the truth set free,
    However Satan rages.

8 Lord Jesus, grant the Spirit’s pow’r,
    In these last times, inciting
    Thy Word to bear much fruit, and flow’r;
    Thy teachers aid in fighting,
    Who Joseph’s sad affliction feel, * (Amos 6:6)
    And therefore labor with all zeal
    In building up Thy Zion.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Interesting question.
    We do English hymn (yes, singular) as processional/recessional. It seems silly to do a verse or 2 to get the celebrants in and then do a different hymn for several verses to get them out, so we finish the hymn. They're using the Campion Missal, so we'll use hymns from there...and there are only a few in Latin. We did do Adeste fideles for Christmas; it works out much better when people know the tune well and only have to struggle with the words.

As for other Latin hymns, my group does chant much better than polyphony right now, so we sometimes use them as offertory motets. They're particularly nice in that function because they're easy to stop when the action needs to go on.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We do English hymn (yes, singular) as processional/recessional. It seems silly to do a verse or 2 to get the celebrants in and then do a different hymn for several verses to get them out, so we finish the hymn.

This seems really strange to me. As if the Mass is an intermission between two verses of a terribly important hymn.
    Thanked by 2Jeffrey Quick Jahaza
  • MatthewRoth
    If you do a hymn, sing all the verses each time, or as many as possible, e.g. what is in the hymnal. The M.C., celebrant, and DM should agree on how many verses to stay in place at the front and back (so, at the altar at the recessional and at the back of the nave for the procession to the altar).
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Some hymns tend to work out well that the verses seem to fit in a split-way, with some sounding more of the celebration of having "now" received the Lord.

If the hymn was "terribly important," I'd expect it to be sung in its entirety either before or after Mass.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar CHGiffen
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Matt, could you please convey that concept to every single altar server/MC with whom I've ever worked?
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • As time passes I often wonder if I would rather end my days in the byzantine rite free from the chaos of a latin rite rife with goofball individualism, sporadically chosen hymns from a childrens television sing along. Surely such novelties support a sentimental artificial feminized faith.
  • MatthewRoth
    Haha. Bill Riccio taught me to MC. And when I would serve the OF at home I always looked back for a cue, usually a good two verses in. Father goes to the chair, then he charges the thurible for the incensation of the altar after the hymn as the Introit starts. At the recessional, he leads because he knows how long the hymn will be.

Also, organists: please prepare an improvisation for the Last Gospel. It is supposed to be prayed “under” music at Sung or Solemn Mass. Then we can do the Marian antiphon and a hymn or organ music. And if we like the hymn, we will wait longer. COE FEN and LOVE UNKNOWN will keep me in place longer...
  • CharlesW
    As time passes I often wonder if I would rather end my days in the byzantine rite free from the chaos of a latin rite rife with goofball individualism, sporadically chosen hymns from a childrens television sing along. Surely such novelties support a sentimental artificial feminized faith.

We would welcome you with open arms. As I get nearer to retirement, I know I will return to my Byzantine parish and never more care what happens in the Latin diocese.
  • dad29
    It is supposed to be prayed “under” music at Sung or Solemn Mass.

That looks like ICK practice, but not US practice. You have documentation?
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    not US practice

Yes, I've been specifically told (before) to not have music during the Last Gospel.
  • MatthewRoth
    It's definitely said secreto. Fortescue-O'Connell-Reid says as much, p. 146 of the 2003 edition. O'Connell says the same, p. 514 of the 1963/64 edition (which, despite the date, is only in conformity to the changes of the 1962 missal), adding that the formation for the recession forms during it. Reid in the 2009 edition includes the restrictions of De musica sacrawhich says nothing about the Last Gospel. Although English, it is safe to say every Anglophone sacristy has those two books somewhere (it's almost impossible to find L. O'Connell from Mundelein...).

From the perspective of it being silent, it makes sense that you "mind the gap" at that point. It's a musical liturgy. I'm in a distinct minority for parts of my position, but at sung/solemn Mass, you really shouldn't have moments that are good for thumb-twiddling. I do understand the need for silence, but I find the prayer is elevated when the organ is there. One, it 's beautiful. Two, it keeps the mind from wandering. So, even during the second half of the Canon I think one should improvise if one is able, and one either has to watch or have someone watching for the genuflection before the Per ipsum. Reid says one should not do this, but he mistakenly applies the restrictive parts of DMSto sung Mass, whereas the document actually recommends "devout silence" during the latter part of the Canon and does not positively exclude the organ. Had it done so, one would wonder why it did not also abolish the choral Benedictus.

So in-between the Kyrie and Gloria, the Alleluia and Gospel (only the best can do this), before the homily (in a larger church where the pulpit is not near the altar or at Pontifical High Mass), before the Credo (same problems as for the previous point), during the Offertory if no other music is sung, the same for Communion, and during the Last Gospel.

If your celebrant doesn't want music during those two points-the Canon and the Last Gospel- then that's OK, but I find it to be less than preferable.

The Dominican practice is in fact to extinguish the candles at this point. It is their historical protest against it being required to be said at the Gospel corner. FWIW.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    in-between the Kyrie and Gloria the Alleluia and Gospel...

All of those, but not between the Asperges and the Introit?
    Silence doesn't disturb me one bit (actually the "stuffing" of a Mass is more irritating to me), but I do think that this particular bit of time can be the most distracting (if people are so easily distracted) because there is literally nothing at all going on.

There's no reason for music between the Alleluia and the Gospel. The priest is supposed to already be back at the altar ready to begin the Gospel by the time the Alleluia is finished. If he doesn't recognize the ending of the verse then surely he'll recognize the reiteration of the Alleluia?

Why should one's mind be pulled from what was sung at the Alleluia into whatever the organist feels like playing for a few seconds? The same with the message in one's homily being whisked away by the thought of "oh, that's pretty/nice."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The gap between the Alleluia and Gospel is usually minimal or non-existent in a Missa cantata, so there wouldn't be room for organ improv. However, the situation is very different in a solemn Mass where there might be as much as a minute between the end of the Alleluia and the singing of the Gospel by the Deacon. In my opinion it is appropriate for the organ to accompany the liturgical action at this point.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Of all the parts of the Mass that there was added music between, right before the Gospel in (at least) this Mass there was not: Raymond Cardinal Burke's Pontifical High Mass (see 24:30-ish)
  • MatthewRoth
    CCooze, on Sundays, yes, that would also be a place to improvise; we do the Introit as the procession at my home parish so there is no sprinkling. I also suppose that means you start the Introit when the celebrant is definitely at the altar with the ministers.

I was thinking of Solemn High Mass. We really try to time it for everything to be in place for the jubilus of the repeated Alleluia...but let's just say that doesn't always happen, as Arthur said. I would also think that the organist would be using the preceding chant, so it wouldn't be such a dramatic musical difference.

At Solemn High Mass before the homily, it covers the Per evangelica dicta and the incesnsation of the celebrant plus his doffing of vestments. I am in favor of doffing the chasuble as well as the maniple. That means a trip to the sedilia if he is preaching or if the deacon is preaching.

After the homily it covers the departure from the pulpit and sedilia and the retrieval of vestments. It's also a fun way for the organist to give the incipits. I've heard it go badly wrong when the priest was still replacing his maniple and the organist only gave it once, and too early at that.

I watched the video last night, actually. I might have asked for music. But I wasn't the MC so, what can I say? That's also the one point I'm flexible about...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    In this video he(?) gave the improvisation on the Gloria much too early.
    (I couldn't tell who it was who hummed the incipit to the Cardinal.
    Regardless, I was still very impressed with the MC. I have never been at a Mass during which an MC clapped to get everyone to kneel/genuflect together - that was very interesting.)

But no, we begin the introit when the celebrant has vested and gets to the stairs to begin the prayers. Sometimes, though, the vesting takes much longer than at other times, for one reason or another.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    Yes, I agree. I suspect he forgot they have to pray the Introit & Kyrie

He did that well, I thought.
  • Is there a chance that the person who directs the doffing of birettas of those sitting in choir is the one that taught cantors to raise their arms as a signal, too?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Matthew, have you ever read Liber Organi, a beautifully handwritten book by Fr. Fortescue in which he describes how an organist may accompany the Sung Mass?

https://charlescole.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/fortescue-gry.pdf

I've been privileged to attend Sunday Masses artfully accompanied by Aristotle E. of this forum so, thanks to that experience, I have a very good idea of what you you describe and what Fr. Fortescue outlines. For those organists capable of the fine and delicate art of improvisation, it can indeed offer a beautiful finishing touch and ornamentation to the Sung Mass.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    It's definitely said secreto.
    No question about that. But to say "play the organ b/c it is sub secreto"? Where is that written?

...Reid says one should not do this, but he mistakenly applies the restrictive parts of DMSto sung Mass, whereas the document actually recommends "devout silence" during the latter part of the Canon and does not positively exclude the organ.

You'd be in a fistfight with a Madison-area priest/bloglodyte (who travels and eats a lot) over that contention.

As to the rest of your recommendations, I simply disagree. You are like the carpenter for whom every problem can be solved with a hammer. Sorry, but music has a place, just like speaking, and silence.

It is useful to contemplate Muzak and why it is despised.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Speaking of Latin hymns, Jeff Ostrowski is offering a Latin hymn for Lent set to the tune of Herzliebster Jesu (with psalm verses). We sang this in English (Ah, Holy Jesus) as the recessional at our Missa Cantata last week, and so many people, including Father, loved it. Many thanks to Jeff for making this available in Latin and for the lovely harmonization. We will be singing this as our Communion motet this Sunday.
  • MatthewRoth
    Dad29, it isn’t. But it is allowed and ought to be done, I think. I have been exposed to such good improvisations, so I will not go back to allowing the organist to not fill space during a sung and especially solemn Mass. I think the organists at Colloquium liturgies would agree, save one or two points. Paul Weber did the Solemn High Mass in Indy, and he did pretty much everything I said, save the Alleluia-Gospel gap and the Last Gospel (which was never his practice at St. Martin’s, and it is something I politely and respectfully disagreed with when he was my parish DM). Perhaps my first post should read “really ought to be...” instead of “supposed to be.” That might make you happier...

I really must disagree. The thing is, if you do it right, you almost don't notice the organ, whereas when it isn’t there when the moment lends itself the mind tends to wander, and I always ask why it isn’t playing.

Said priest avoided that fight because he came and sang Solemn Mass with a polyphonic ordinary, leaving no room for improvisation after the consecration... And it was 3 on 1...
  • Jeffrey Quick
    This seems really strange to me.

It sometimes seems strange to me too, Adam. But what always seems strange is the habit of singing until the priest is where he's supposed to be, and then stopping. At that point, you've barely learned the hymn (esp. if it's some new thing that doesn't scan...but we don't do those). I'd much rather present all the verses of a hymn, so it can be understood as poetry (even if fragmented).

As for timing, we used to be able to see, but now the view of the side door is blocked by an organ (! - yes, we now have 2). So we start on the bell (all or part of hymn on organ, depending on familiarity.) Usually, they'll wait most of a verse before moving. Unless the verses are really short, the priest will be in place by end of 2nd verse. Sometimes he has to walk a half dozen steps without music, or kneel through most of a verse, but generally the timing is pretty close.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    the mind tends to wander, and I always ask why it isn’t playing.

So, then, is it your mind that tends to wander? ; )

Habit, of course, plays a big part in this.
    -You are used to and want music playing nearly everywhere that the priest isn't being vocal, save the Consecration.
    -Others may be used to and appreciate silence in those places, and may even ask why on earth is there music here? (man, now I can't even remember his homily, maybe I can get a copy of the transcript later..)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • expeditus1
    Today being the 18th Anniversary of the death of our parish priest, Fr. Alfred Kunz, whose murder is still unsolved, it is fitting that I commemorate him by giving thanks for the education we were privileged to receive under his tutelage. Fr. Kunz had an august presence at the altar, and his preaching was an "Event." We learned that the Mass stood on its own merit, and that the sublimity of silent moments should not be feared and need not be stuffed with sensory extras. Even his Low Masses on weekdays were enthralling. The limited and inadequate metaphor that I can best use to try to describe them, is that they were like attending an artful foreign language film with subtitles, and at the close of the film, not having missed the absence of spoken English dialogue one bit. So it was with his Low Masses celebrated on weekdays: The reverence with which he approached them, the silence, the spoken word - all these had elements of musicality attached to them, so that it was as if music had been ongoing throughout the liturgy. Having been exposed to that makes me less mindful of whose attention span issues or boredom I am expected to alleviate as organist/choir director at High Mass. Yes, I make use of choral music, preludes, postlude, interludes and short-fillers where appropriate, and then just let blessed silence envelop the church for the rest of the moments. The second half of the Canon is one portion where I particularly don't want to receive extra incoming auditory stimulation.