Today is the "Bissextile" day
  • “The year hath twelve months, comprising fifty-two weeks, and one day : indeed, it has three hundred and sixty-five days, and nearly six hours ; for in such an interval of time the sun traverses the zodiac. However, in the course of four years, four times six hours constitutes an extra day ; hence that year is called intercalary, bissextus, or bissextile.”

– De anno et ejus partibus (my working translation)

“In a bissextile year, the month of February is 29 days long, and the feast of St. Matthias [note: usually on the 24th] is celebrated on the 25th day of February, and the feast of St. Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows [note: usually on the 27th] on the 28th day of February, and the Sixth Kalends are said twice, that is, on the 24th day and on the 25th day ; and the dominical letter, which was taken up in the month of January, is changed into the preceding one : as for example, if in January the dominical letter was A, it is changed into the preceding one, which is g, etc., and the letter f serves twice, on the 24th and on the 25th.”

– Calendarium romanum (my working translation)

[Edit: posted on February 24th, 2016]
    Thanked by 3kevinf eft94530 igneus
  • CharlesW
    I had a couple of bissextiles in my choir once. They were altos.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • Lol!
  • (deleted)
  • Liam
    Or today.

As it turns out, practice varied over whether the first day was the one inserted or the second. While the former was eventually followed in the sanctoral calendar, in reality practice was mixed.

The Oxford Companion to The Year provides illustrative details.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen igneus