Reorganizing a choir-loft. Ideas?
  • SalieriSalieri
  • CharlesW
    So do you have to keep the pews? Would choir chairs hold more people?
  • Chairs would certainly allow for more versatile and occasion-specific arrangements. I can't believe that you have carpeting in a choir gallery! Bravo for getting rid of it. And really, babies in the choir gallery? Even extra ones??
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CCoozeCCooze
    My "babies" have sat with me in the choir loft on multiple occasions when it was a Mass during the day and my husband was at work. It happens. (happened on Ash Wednesday, actually. My 2-and 4yo sat in the choir pew with me)

Our loft looks nothing like this. Very interesting.
    Thanked by 2canadash tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    I definitely want to get rid of the pews: but there are some people who are concerned about their "worship experience", which I presume is a horribly bureaucratic (? is that the right word?) way to say that they want to be able to kneel, and be able to see the sanctuary as much as possible--can't say that I blame them. Now, all the choir lofts I've seen with chairs they have no provisions made for kneeling, especially when they have any kind of riser-like steps.

And yes, babies - well, they're more pre-school age. Some of my adult choir members (not choristers) have children and will occasionally bring them upstairs with them. They're well behaved. And one of them actually fell asleep one Sunday during my postlude. (Perhaps he'll be a future organist-since he isn't bothered by organ music.)
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What about those kneeler-chair things that are sometimes in side/adoration chapels?

This setup doesn't look particular conducive to seeing the sanctuary/altar.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • It's nice to know that your choristers are concerned about their worship experience. For some choirs in galleries this seems to be of little concern. I suggest that you look into chairs made specifically for churches, which have pull-down kneelers on the back. They usually have rush seats and are not uncommonly found in Episcopal churches. For front row chairs pillow type kneelers can easily be provided. This would really make your space far more versatile.
  • doneill
    Ratigan Schottler in Omaha makes kneeler chairs, and there are others as well.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    CCooze: The floor of the gallery is slanted, which is not easily seen in the photos, and with a wonderful feat of engineering/architecture you can easily see the Original High Altar from anywhere in the church, even if you are kneeling in the back of the gallery or the back of the nave - and this would have been true of our former raised pulpit (trashed, alas, in the '70's-the high altar was spared because the chairman of the parish council at the time threatened to throw the priest bodily out of the parish if he removed the high altar). The new freestanding altar is not as visible as the old one, either in the front of the loft or after the first five rows of pews in the nave. (Ironic, really, since the I thought the whole point of freestanding versus populum altars was to allow the people to see better!)

Thanks: for the suggestion of the chairs, I'll look into them.
  • 1. Get rid of the carpet: the highest priority.
    2. Put the fixed seating (pews) in the back and on the far sides, leaving the area nearest the console and the rail free for movable seating and instruments.
    3. Small individual kneeling cushions (or even those raised a bit on wood) are easy to make. Younger singers (and many others) are usually able and willing to kneel on a piece of non-scratchy carpet.
    4. Assume growth and plan for larger forces on major holy days, as long as this doesn't make the ordinary days overly uncomfortable.
    Thanked by 3Salieri CHGiffen BruceL
  • I would not keep the pews anywhere. This would allow for a more spacious and worshipful atmosphere, and could be used for instruments on occasion, or more effectively used with moveable chairs when you have a larger choir.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • DBPs idea sounds good.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • MBWMBW
    I am all for chairs - and I do think that provision needs to be made in choral setups for singers to kneel. My own preference would be for choral chairs (like from Wenger) with individual kneeling cushions for those that want them.

An issue to keep in mind is hymnal and music storage at the chairs. Now, in your gallery, there is a lot of material in the pew hymnal holders. Singers will have to put their music somewhere at times during the Mass when they are not using it. I don't think the Wenger chairs have any storage, but many of the chairs (of the type referenced above) come with some sort of storage.

Usually in a situation like that shown in the photos, the more singers that can be out from under the organ overhand the better. Weaker sections may balance better if they are closer to the rail.

Don't forget to keep lighting in mind.

I agree, of course, that the carpet must go.

Do you like your off-center console position? If you have a separate organist, it is probably ideal. If you are conducting from the console, a center location could be better. YMMV on that one.

Go luck with this. It is important work!
  • chonakchonak
    Is it possible to get chairs with fixed kneelers? If the kneelers are hinged, they will make a lot of noise when they fall down into position.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • ...music storage...

The type of chairs being recommended generally have storage beneath them.
  • dad29
    FWIW, choir singers should be able to 'group' to hear each other. My experience is that having pews or fixed seating of any kind makes such 'grouping' difficult or impossible. It's a matter of choral unity unless all your singers are pro- or semi-pro. Spreading the singers into a long horizontal line is not good.

Also--unless the console is easily movable--consider keeping the console at a 45-degree angle to the axis of the church. That allows for either an accompanist/director situation OR a director-accompanist who can see the altar and be visible to the choir.
  • cmb
    One thing you might start with is minimizing the amount of "stuff" needed in the loft. If there's another place to locate the music storage and get rid of several of the bookshelves, I think that would make a big difference. Do you use all of the books in the pew book holders every week? I've seen those kneeler chairs before, too. They do have a shelf underneath that is probably deep enough to hold a binder and a hymnal.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I feel like some of those chairs have side "pockets" - I'm not sure if it's in addition- or opposed to the bottom shelf. Just another option.

*Edit - something like this: http://www.stmargarets.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_0110-225x300.jpg - bottom & side pockets, plus it looks like it even has a kneeler?
    (ikea sells pretty much any shape of chair cushion at great prices, too, in case they are needed)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I wondered, also, how much of that stored music gets used. Maybe a little file purging and recycling might help.

On the console position, I have a center mounted console from which I direct every Sunday. With a good mirror, I see everything that is happening on the altar half a city block away. I am also able to see the singers right in front of me, and give appropriate dirty looks to malfeasants and off-keyers.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What if you got rid of the pews, put in chairs in a semi-circle, and then had a kneeler installed along the rail?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I was informed that the pictures of the chairs I posted above are from this website: http://www.newhollandwood.com/Liturgical/Products/Chairs/tabid/99/page_523/3/Default.aspx and that they are chair number 810 (Customization available upon request).

"Placement/existence of book racks, kneelers, padded seats, etc., all are customizable options. I’m told that normally the chairs on the front row have side book racks because those people can’t reach for the chairs in front of them. Apparently the placement of the book rack (if any) also has a bearing on whether or not you can stack the chairs."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's really counterproductive to buy chair seating with upholstery that absorbs sound. Rush works better and is the "traditional" choice.

The old, "pew cushions don't kill sound because people are sitting on them" is only true if the people NEVER stand up to sing. It's not unknown for a pastor to find all the pews in a church upholstered as a "surprise" gift from a wealthy parishioner with a key to the church.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If you're referring to some of the padded chairs, they aren't the ones I was suggesting.

The chairs I suggested (as pictured above, and now here) are just solid wood (the ones with cushions included are, I guess just the same general model?), and so are of the 3rd of the 4 pics that include the number 810.
    (http://www.newhollandwood.com/Portals/0/Images/CatholicLiturgical/Chairs/810wood.jpg)

That doesn't mean that some people don't need *a* cushion, though.
    (at 8 months pregnant, it's much easier for me to get up out of a cushioned seat than a non-cushioned seat)
  • This is yet another instance of Noel's being absolutely spot on!
    Indisputably correct.
    Rush seats are the best.
    Rush seats are what's found almost everywhere.
    They are very comfortable.
    They breathe.
    And they are really smart looking.
    They are what you want.
  • Matthew
    Salieri, here's a photo showing what we ended up with 9 years ago as we remodeled our choir loft for our new organ. We have chairs that are moveable with side racks for hymnals/folders that connect 2 chairs together. It's easy to move them around to accommodate instrumentalists and such. We ripped out the carpet (I helped with that myself with much glee) and put down an oak floor. The choir is on 3 levels facing the sanctuary. I direct from the console but it's easy for the choir to simply turn towards me to watch as I direct (singer's watch the director, right?). Those who wish to kneel are accommodated with padded kneelers against the balcony railing. Hope this helps.
    1536 x 2048 - 710K
  • CharlesW
    Nice loft. Organ looks good, too. Any info about it you would like to share?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Matthew
    The organ is a 31 stop, 37 rank mechanical action organ by Wech Orgelbau from Buchloe, Bavaria. Information about the organ can be found at www.sccathedral.org or www.orgelbau-wech.com. The cathedral's website has a recording of the Bach Passacaglia. Enjoy.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds good, but can it also do literature other than German Baroque? How versatile is the instrument?
  • Matthew
    It's quite versatile. I wouldn't necessarily ask anyone to do an all French-romantic concert (though I played Vierne 2 without missing anything other than maybe a 4' chorus reed). Franck works really well, Reger, Rheinberger, Messiaen (yes, even Messiaen) works well, and French Classic is easily played too. For the cathedral's limited budget we got a LOT of bang for the buck. Most importantly, it supports the congregation very well without overpowering them.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Here's a link
    but can it also do literature other than German Baroque?
    If that's supposed to sound like a whine, you're not whining hard enough.
  • CharlesW
    If that's supposed to sound like a whine, you're not whining hard enough.

Just curious. I thought the recording sounded good, but that is not the same as actually hearing an instrument in person. There are some German instruments in town that can't do much besides German Baroque. They are museum pieces, not service instruments. They are patterned more along the lines of the North German school of organ building. I had thought this Bavarian instrument would be less that type of instrument and more versatile. Good to hear that it is. Next time I am in that part of the country, whenever that may be, perhaps I can hear it.
  • Matthew
    Charles, you're welcome to stop by anytime to play/hear it
    Thanked by 1CharlesW