Fr. Ralph March O. Cist.
  • ghmus7
    Yesterday, Shrove Tuesday was the funeral for Fr. Ralph march, O Cist.
    The funeral took place at the Cistercian Abbey in Dallas, were he had been a founding member and lived there for several decades, while teaching at the University of Dallas.
    Many of you will know of Fr. Marchs' erudition, knowledge and teaching in music and chant. He was one of the foremost scholars in chant studies, especially in the history of Cistercian chant. When I arrived in Dallas, I attended his classes, as so many did so from far and wide, hoping to glean some knowledge from his treasury. He was someone who had the entire Graduale Romanum memorized, and could easily sing any chant in it when asked!
    The other thing I recall about his was his wicked sense of humor, often leaving the class in stiches...but usually to prove a point. Here are a few remembered quips...Fr. March was not especially fond of the Novus Ordo, and sometimes challenged those who promoted it as an 'improvement' on the EF:
    1. I see we to sing a "gathering song". Why, we're already all here!
    2. The Great Amen: "Just what's so great about it?"
    To get the full effect, one must remember his eastern European accent. So many other stories come to mind.
    There is a further biography on the Chant Café site:
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2016/02/obituary-fr-ralph-march-o-cist.html
    In Paradisum...
  • Thanks for the memories of Fr March. I remember him from the 90s when the CMAA colloquium was at Christendom College. Yes, he was always genial and very quick with a joke. I didn't realize he had memorized the whole Graduale! Wow!