A Great Article on the Sanctus
  • CCoozeCCooze
    For those who hadn't seen it: http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2016/feb/7/phrasing-sanctus/

If nothing else, perhaps it will help influence the future singing and understanding of the Sanctus/Holy, Holy, Holy for your choirs, and for future compositions/text-settings.
  • Liam
    The concern about the phrasing of the Sanctus also extends to the Gloria, in a point often ignored. The phrase "O God Almighty Father" (Deus Pater omnipotens) is a closing phrase to all that precedes it; "Lord Jesus Christ" begins a new phrase. Too many settings fail to reflect that, and it appears rare that celebrants (when recited) and music ministries (when sung) are aware of it.

I have a pet preference in the Our Father: Thy will be done on earth / as it is in heaven. (And please neatly close the "s" with a very slight break in "us" in "lead us not")
    Thanked by 2CharlesW a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    I always ask my choir to close the "s" in "lead us not." It can come off as lead uh-snot.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Who would lead a snot into temptation?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Or, as in an old pipe organ shop joke: "You can lead a horse to ware, but you can't lead a horticulture (whore to culture)!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    A variation on Dorothy Parker, it would seem....