Expenses for Out-of-State Interview
  • I am a finalist for a part-time (20 hrs/wk) organist-choirmaster position in another part of the country, which was advertised nationally. I've been informed that the church is only offering a partial travel stipend for the interview/audition, which would not even cover my airfare. I've already spoken personally with several colleagues who said that this is nonstandard business practice and a "red flag." Since 2009, I've interviewed/auditioned for two out-of-state positions, one of which I was offered and accepted. In both cases, the church paid for 100% of my airfare and provided ground transportation, accommodation, and meals. These were both full-time positions, but the one I'm currently being considered for is not. I informed the pastor and search committee chair that we would need to discuss the salary range possibly being offered before I book a trip partially at my own expense. I know that I'm currently the top candidate (the other finalist didn't accept their offer), so I probably do have some leverage here. What is the minimum I should expect in terms of travel expenses for a part-time position with a nationwide search?

If this has already been discussed in another thread, could someone please provide a link here?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Red flag, they don't pay, you don't play.

As one interviewing right now also, I have turned down interviews because they would not pay travel expenses.
    Anyone doing a national search and would not pay ought to be red flagged immediately.

Excuse the furor, but really...are we that cheap of a church?
  • CharlesW
    Excuse the furor, but really...are we that cheap of a church?

And you really want a truthful answer to that? LOL.
  • doneill
    Yes, anybody advertising nationally should pay full travel expenses. If they won't, I would advise canceling the interview, because it wouldn't bode well for a salary offer and potential budget.
    Thanked by 3madorganist Ben BruceL
  • The issue is that it's a part time gig. Any full-time gig: it's a no brainer the church should cover. Part-time gig? Not sure what to say.

I heartily second that you should discuss salary over the phone, before even remotely considering traveling! (I went through a multi-week process once, to be told the annual "stipend" was $5,000 / year for a 20 hr a week job...ha!)
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Oh wow! They included a range in the position description, but I told them I needed to know something more specific. I would not take the position for the low end of the advertised range. If I lived in the area already and had good prospects for additional part-time work (accompanying, teaching) or even continuing study with in-state tuition, it might be a different story, but then I wouldn't have posed this question here ;)
  • I've never heard of any other industry offering to cover interview travel expenses for a pert-time position, so why would a church?

With the internet, what search isn't "national" these days?

If you feel good about the position, take a chance. Take in a few sights while there so it's not a total bust if you don't get the job.
  • cmb
    If you feel good about the position, take a chance. Take in a few sights while there so it's not a total bust if you don't get the job.

And don't forget, if you're in the U.S., job search expenses (including travel) are tax deductible.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I wouldn't personally pay for travel for an audition, but if you want to, more power to you. If a place offers to fly me out and have someone "chauffeur" me around for the week/weekend, I usually will pay for my own rental car since I'm going to want to look around and get a vibe for the city beyond the church and whatever places they take me to dinner. If they offer to rent me a car from the get-go, then they earn some big points in my book.
    Thanked by 2doneill BruceL
  • kevinfkevinf
    If one lists the position on a site dedicated to jobs all over the country, it is a "national" search.

My experience is that some don't get that rationale. Again I say, walk away.
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • doneill
    AGO and NPM listings would generally be considered a "national" search. If it's just posted on a diocesan website, it's not. On this site, it works both ways, because some are simply re-postings that somebody discovered, and others are original from the parish. In the case that it is not national, I would not expect them to pay for travel, but if they offer anyway, it's a bonus and more serious consideration. I have never expected anybody to pay for meals, but if they want to wine and dine you, all the better. If you're just left alone at the rectory with nothing to do and nowhere to go, well... Of course, these jobs are ministries, and we shouldn't expect to get lots of attention, but in my experience, the degree to which they are willing to treat you at the interview is telling. If they make little effort, it shows that they believe that you should be lucky to have an interview at all, and the same will be true in the actual job. If they go to some length to treat you well, it shows that they treat this seriously, and acknowledge that you are interviewing them as well.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • francis
    walk
  • Google Maps says 24 days and 8 hours to walk, not including stops. Maybe if I start tomorrow, I can make it there by Easter!