Marian Antiphon during communion?
  • Forgive me if this is a totally newbie question. I was considering teaching my choir a 2-part motet of Ave Regina caelorum from Canticum Novum (Rev. Carlo Rossini), but the place I'd have to put it is during communion. I've only seen references to singing the Marian antiphon after the dismissal, so I didn't know if this is at all appropriate. We're very slowly moving in the "right" direction with music, and I want to give my choir something else to sing besides just the hymns and mass parts (we are probably doing entrance antiphons during Lent, as that went pretty well during Advent). Right now, our priest has asked that we not put the song number up for communion, and let that be either just the cantor or choir (he doesn't want people walking around with hymnals, he wants them focusing on the Eucharist). I really need to stick with a hymn for the end of mass, though.
  • The traditional place for that text is the end of Mass, but you certainly could do it during Communion. In my OF parish, we've begun singing the Marian Antiphon followed immediately by the Recessional Hymn during Paschal time, and soon we will expand that to other seasons. Before long, they think they've always done it like that, and voila.
  • BenBen
    We've always done it in the EF before the procession out, with the clergy and servers standing at the foot of the altar.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sure - it's a motet, sing it there. after the Communion antiphon and/or hymn. We sang a choral Alma Redemptoris Mater today after the Offertory proper.
  • I think it makes no sense singing a marian antiphon at communion if it is not for a special marian feast or in certain occasion for Christmas. Usually the four major antiphons (Salve Regina, Ave Regina Coelorum, Alma Redemptoris Mater, Regina Coeli) were always sung at the end of the Mass before or during the final procession. There are some instances where there is a sort of Salutatio to BVM after the prayer of communion but is something that is somehow out of the ritual. Here in Rome and also when I was organist in Saint Peter basilica (1993-2008) we always are used to sing these antiphons at the end.