MAGNA OPERA DOMINI -
  • That is the chosen motto of Bishop-elect Lopes of the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter. His ordination will take place on Candlemas, next Tuesday, the 2nd February, at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, in Houston. Our Lady of Walsingham will now be a cathedral! About half-a-dozen cardinals and thirty bishops are supposed to be present, as well as ordinariate folk from England and Australia, and throughout the US and Canada. The co-cathedral will resound with music the like of which is very rarely heard in Catholic-dom, for a profoundly historic event in the life of the Church.

Here is the music for the ordination -

Choirmaster - Edmund Murray, Choirmaster of the Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Walsingham.
    Organists - Crista Miller (co-cathedral music director) and Kevin Clark will play the anthems and service music
    Edmund Murray will play the Bach 'St Anne' and I will play the Langlais Te Deum during the prelude music.
    Choirs - Our Lady of Walsingham Parish Choir, the co-cathedral choir, the Arch-diocesan Choir, Chorus Angelorum, and friends.
    A Consort of Brass and Timpani -
    The Lesser Propers - Palmer-Burgess
    The Order of Mass - Divine Worship: the Missal

PRELUDE MUSIC -

Te Deum - Jean Langlais
    'I Was Glad' - Sir C.H.H. Parry
    Beati quorum via - C.V. Stanford
    Fugue in E-flat ('St Anne') - J.S. Bach
    'Greater Love Hath No Man' - John Ireland
    Exsultate justi - L. Viadana

THE MASS OF ORDINATION -

At the Procession -
    Entrata Festiva - Flor Peeters
    Hymn - 'Christ is Made the Sure Foundation' - Westminster Abbey, arr, Robert Powell

Introductory Rites -
    Introit - Suscepimus - Mode I
    Kyrie - Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena - H. Willan
    Gloria - Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena - H. Willan

The Liturgy of the Word -
    Psalm XXIV: Ad tollite portas - Anglican Chant, F.E. Gladstone
    Alleluya and Verse: Senex puerum - Theodore Marier

The Rite of Ordination -
    Hymn: Veni Creator Spiritus - Plainsong, Mode VIII
    Litany of Supplication -
    Psalm XCV: Venite, exultemus - Anglican Chant, Sir John Goss
    Motet: Ecce quam bonus - William Byrd

Liturgy of the Eucharist -
    Offertory Hymn: 'To Thee, O Gracious Father' - Thaxted, Arr., Richard Proulx
    (This hymn was penned by the Rev. Christopher G. Philips, pastor of Atonement, in San Antonio)
    The Offertory Antiphon - Diffusa est gratia - Mode VIII
    Sanctus - Missa super Dixit Maria - H.L. Hassler
    Agnus Dei - Missa super Dixit Maria - H.L. Hassler
    The Communion Antiphon - Responsum accepit Simeon - Mode VIII
    Responsory - Magna Opera Domini - Richard J. Clark (Bishop Lopes' motto, composed for this ordination.)
    Anthem - 'Draw Us In the Spirit's Tether' - Harold Friedell
    Motet - Anima Christi - Michael Burgo
    Motet - Alma Redemptoris Mater - G.P. da Palestrina

Solemn Te Deum -
    Te Deum in B-flat - C.V. Stanford

At the Dismissal -
    Hymn - 'Praise to the Holiest' - Newman, Arr., Andrew Wright

• Kathy
    Stunning! True musical leadership. Best wishes, and many years to Bishop Lopes!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    For those unable to attend in Houston, the event will be broadcast on EWTN:
    http://ordinariate.net/news/ewtn-to-broadcast-mass-of-ordination-of-bishop-elect-steven-j-lopes
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Truly splendiferous! Congratulations and best wishes to Bishop Lopes.
  • MatthewRoth
    Is Mass according to the MR2002 or Divine Worship?
  • Matthew -
    The mass is the successor to Divine Worship. This is Divine Worship: The Missal, which became official for all three ordinariates (US-Canada, England, Australia) as of last Advent Sunday.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Wow...fabulous stuff. I especially love the Byrd and the Stanford. Congratulations for a wonderful program.
  • CharlesW
    Excellent. Remind the dear bishop that there is mission territory to the east anxiously awaiting deliverance. :-)
  • Charles -
    I'm sure he'd appreciate a note from you about just that!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, yes, I know that it isn't the BDW. I think the Ordinariate needs a more fluid way of referring to the Mass than “Divine Worship: the Missal.”
  • Matthew -
    I think that it's called DW:TM because a revision of the offices is forthcoming at a future date - so maybe (?) it will be called Divine Worship: The Office? I do agree with you, though, that a more fluid locution could have been thought of.
  • MatthewRoth
    That is my understanding as well, as Msgr. Burnham said the whole liturgy is to be called “Divine Worship.”
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, the Ordinariates do not have their own edition of the rite of Ordination of a Bishop, and do not plan to create one; they have said they intend to use the standard (modern) Roman Rite for consecrations, as an expression of unity with the See of St. Peter.
  • MatthewRoth
    Do they have a unique priesting and deaconing rite?

• chonakchonak
    I believe all their ordinations are done according to the Roman Rite, ordinary form.

E.g.: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2013/09/anglican-ordinariate-priestly.html