Parce Domine - English Verses
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I know this has been discussed before, but I don't think I've found a conclusive answer.

Is there an English translation of the Parce Domine verses that can be sung to the original melody, or do most people just substitute Psalm 51? The PBC has the verses in Latin with good English translations for reference, not singing.
  • Kathy
    I think I translated this for the LCH.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • I'm looking in all my Anglican sources but haven't found it yet. It's bound to be there.
    Leave it to Catholics to give you translations that can't be sung. This is so silly - and thoughtless!
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 Ben
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I think I translated this for the LCH.

Oh! I'll have to order it. I'm trying to broaden my hymnal library anyway.
  • Kathy
    Leave it to Catholics to give you translations that can't be sung.
    HEY!
  • Sorry, Kathy!
    But for every one of you there are scads of them.
    In fact, it seems to be an article of faith for them.
  • Kathy
    No prob...

As I understand the PBC, it's meant to be sung in Latin, so the English is there for reference only.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27

• No comment.
  • The St. Michael Hymnal has English verses set to the chant melody.
  • davido
    Here is my arrangement of the verses
  • Thank you, @davido! I have the assembly edition of the SMH so I'll check the choir edition for that version, too.
  • Saint Michael 3rd edition has 5 English verses derived from Ps 51 not a translation of the original Latin verses.

Saint Michael 4th edition only gives the refrain --no verses.
  • ViolaViola
    I am bumping this thread because I looked here in vain for English verses to Parce Domine. I have now found some, which are very user-friendly, and they might be useful to others.
    I don't know the source; they were just on a piece of paper which I found in a bookcase. Providential?
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Viola, that is the same as the one posted by Davido above.
  • ViolaViola
    Oh thanks, that explains the mystery of where it came from and thanks to davido for posting it. We’ll be singing it on Ash Wednesday
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen