Unusual/antique chants for antiphons and Magnificat
  • Antonio
    Some months ago I listened to an splendid and not so new recording (1997) of Jean Adam Guilain organ versets for the Magnificat, played by Andre Isoir on the historic Boizard organ (1714) of the St. Michel en Thierache benedictine abbey, in alternatim with Les Demoiselles de Saint-Cyr choir. The recording is digitally available on the Spotify streaming service through the link
    https://open.spotify.com/album/7rmDx8ZlS37tOaLmHbQBYa and also unofficially through Youtube url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYMXgM1gris

None of the three antiphons (Beata mater, Beata es Maria, Prudentes Virgines) are sung second the modern GR/LU editions, not even in the same mode. Also, the sung verses of the Magnificat do not correspond to the simple nor to the solemn modes (LU p. 207/212).

Does anyone know the origin of these melodies? Are they from the so called Medici editions for the Gradualia? Or would it be an ancient and particular composition?

Without any demerit of the usual forms for those antiphons and the Magnificat, but these different melodies seem to make a perfect pair to the Guilain versets, at least to my ears. I'm considering performing the Magnificat that way on one of the next great Marian feast Mass (maybe the Purification Feb 2nd). I think it would a beautiful Communion program.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • Protasius
    The video is not available in my country, but it is very well possible that the choir used chants from the editions in use in France in the time of Guilain, e.g. the one by Guillaume Nivers.
  • Antonio
    Yes, that's exactly my suspicion. But I'd like to know by sure the source of these chants and eventually put them among organ verset repertoire for alternatim practice purpose. If I had an e-mail contact with Mr. Mandrin or Mr. Isoir...
  • igneusigneus
    Several Nivers' chant editions are online at Google Books.
  • Antonio
    Thanks, igneus, for the reference. I checked the Nivers' Treatise. While a bit simplified, their Psalm formulas are very similar to the modern ones. I had already transcribed those ones on Mandrin/Isoir recording, but still curious about their origin, also to be in a "repertoire poster" we usually provide and update for Mass assistance reference.
  • igneusigneus
    @Antonio So you are looking for the origin of psalm tones rather than of antiphon tunes?
  • Protasius
    The 17th century Breviarium parisiense on Google Books has the Psalm tones used at the time of its printing in an appendix (and lists the pertinent psalm tone at every antiphon; apparently it was meant for use in choir).
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • igneusigneus
    (Slight off topic @Protasius: I am quite intrigued by a late 19th century pocket edition of Horae diurnae Breviarii Romani - so no choir book at all - which has psalm tone annotation at every antiphon text. Who could have been the expected user? Normal breviaries from that time which I have seen don't include any musical information. Not even the large choir editions.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Protasius, do you mind share with me the direct link for the Breviarium? I found some of them, but regarding to the 17th century Breviarium I have found, I could not locate the appendix you told about.

Igneus, I was (and still am) looking for both Antiphons and Magnificat psalm tones. Anyway, we did, for the past Candle Mass, the antiphon for the Magnificat "Senex puerum portabat", in the version found on modern Liber Usualis p. 1355, and Magnificat tones second to a direct transcription from the recording. For that important feast, made in a concise block of antiphon, Magnificat and organ versets, they hadn't sounded as an anachronistic Gallicism, as I initially feared it could be.
  • https://books.google.de/books?id=Ntrz6dd6iC8C&hl=de
    Breviarium Parisiense, Pars Hyemalis. Paris 1714.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Antonio
  • Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as Antonio and have been down the same path of research.

Antonio, do you still have that transcription? Has anyone found out the "why" behind this chant?