Keeping "Christmas" in the Baptism
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    It seems a generally accepted practice to retire Christmas Carols which speak of the new born, or infant, king after Epiphany. Joy to the World is an obvious choice for the Baptism of the Lord (and Candlemas, for that matter) but are there other carols which the congregation might more readily identify as Christmas that fit this Feast? (As opposed to hymns like Songs of Thankfulness and Praise, etc.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    "Of the Father's heart begotten", springs most readily to mind.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Ah, yes. I have that one on, too.
  • Liam
    You could use this text to WINCHESTER OLD or a CM tune (iambic, no refrain) of your choosing. WINCHESTER OLD invites gorgeous descants.

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/son_of_man_from_jordan_rose.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I was told that tomorrow is the last day we can use Christmas music. So, I am using some Christmas music.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    @ matthewj: "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree" is one of my favourites.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    Can someone explain how that piece has become associated with Christmas?
  • Liam
    Recordings.

The composer of the widely known choral setting was influential in the British music scene as music director of the BBC's European service, and I believe her setting became standard fare in Advent and Christmas services of lessons and carols, and, when recordings of those became popular in the USA, it took root here in the Christmas context.

King Jesus Hath A Garden, anyone?
  • CharlesW
    Since you asked.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jesus Christ the Apple Tree lyrics in an 1897 republication of 1797 printing
    Jesus Christ the Apple Tree (also known as Apple Tree and, in its early publications, as Christ Compared to an Apple-tree) is a poem, presumably intended for use as a carol, written by an unknown person in the 18th century. It has been set to music by a number of composers, including Jeremiah Ingalls (1764–1838) and Elizabeth Poston (1905–1987).
    The first known publication of "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree" was in London's Spiritual Magazine in August, 1761. This credits "R.H." as the submitter and presumed author.[1] Another early printing, which cannot be dated closely but may well be the second and could even be earlier, is an English broadsheet.[2] This broadsheet uses the term "Methodists," which certainly places it after about 1730, when the term first came into use at Oxford University, and probably substantially later, when the religious movement had spread.

The hymn's first known appearance in a hymnal, and in America, was in 1784 in Divine Hymns, or Spiritual Songs: for the use of Religious Assemblies and Private Christians compiled by Joshua Smith, a lay Baptist minister from New Hampshire. It became quite common in American hymnbooks, though not in English ones, after that, and for that reason has often been assumed to have an American author; there is no evidence however to support this.

The song may be an allusion to both the apple tree in Song of Solomon 2:3 which has been interpreted as a metaphor representing Christ, and to Jesus' description of his life as a tree of life in Luke 13:18–19 and elsewhere in the New Testament including Revelation 22:1–2 and within the Old Testament in Genesis. Apple trees were commonly grown in early New England and there was an old English tradition of wassailing or wishing health to apple trees on Christmas Eve.[3] The song is now performed by choirs around the world, especially during the Christmas season as a Christmas carol.[4]
    Another motivation of the song may have been to Christianize old English winter season songs used in wassailing the apple orchards -- pouring out libations or engaging in similar ceremonies to seek fertility of the trees.[5]

As the apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my love among the young men. With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste. he brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. (Song of Songs 2:3-4)
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Couldn't/Shouldn't "Joy to the World" really be used as an Easter Hymn, instead?

Tonight at the vigil Mass I played Gesu Bambino (oboe) with organ accompaniment. It's recognizable, and slightly less in your face when played.
  • I unashamedly used Hark, The Herald Angels Sing. He was, after all, "born to raise the sons of earth / born to give them second birth."

And, "mild he lays his glory by."

Also used Of the Father's Love.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Joy to the world is nothing more than a metrical setting of Psalm 98, from Dr. Watts' "Psalms Imitated in the Language of the New Testament", so, technically speaking, it could be used anytime.

Psalm 98, Common Meter (86.86)

Praise for the gospel.

1 To our Almighty Maker, God,
    New honors be addressed;
    His great salvation shines abroad,
    And makes the nations blessed.

2 He spake the word to Abraham first;
    His truth fulfils the grace;
    The Gentiles make his name their trust,
    And learn his righteousness.

3 Let the whole earth his love proclaim
    With all her diff'rent tongues,