For the men of the board: A Call to Battle - A Short Film on ‘Society’s Crisis in Masculinity’
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    One doesn't hear much about the 'War on men' in this part of the country. I wonder though if anyone will dare comment on the quality of the musical underscoring!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The musical underscoring is clearly intended to give it an "epic movie" feel... and it certainly accomplishes this. This is not the Mass - it need not have liturgical music.

Notice in the part of the movie where it shows Mass being celebrated that both forms of the Mass are incorporated.
  • Kathy
    Am I allowed to watch this, or...?
    Thanked by 3canadash Adam Wood Ben
  • johnmann
    Real men do backflips and snowboard? Is that the idea?

As a (relatively) young man from a very "progressive" city, this video doesn't speak to me. It's speaking of a completely foreign culture which I'm incapable of even yearning for. Be the best person you can be utilizing the gifts God gave you. Your gender will naturally inform that but so will your ethnicity, environment, physical abilities, etc. The gender distinction seems unnecessary.
    Thanked by 2Olivier JL
  • The musical underscoring is clearly intended to give it an "epic movie" feel... and it certainly accomplishes this.

I would have to disagree. The soundtrack sounds to me like a cheap Hans Zimmer imitation, and even Hans Zimmer nowadays sounds like a cheap Hans Zimmer imitation. Sacred music isn't the only functional music being cheapened in today's society.
  • chonakchonak
    The music seemed to change arbitrarily from one segment to another.
  • chonakchonak
    It is probably worthwhile to read the exhortation promoted by the video; it does go into more detail about providing an assessment of contemporary attitudes about the human attribute of sex (i.e., masculinity or femininity).

Bp. Olmsted writes:
    Alongside this struggle, the rapid advance of a “gender ideology” has infected societies around the world. This ideology seeks to set aside the sexual difference created by God, to remove male and female as the normative way of understanding the human person, and in its place, to add various other “categories” of sexuality. This ideology is destructive for individuals and society, and it is a lie. It is harmful to the human person, and therefore, a false concept that we must oppose as Christians. At the same time, however, we are called to show compassion and provide help for those who experience confusion about their sexual identity. This confusion is not unexpected when the poison of secularism reaches such critical levels: “When God is forgotten, the creature itself becomes unintelligible.”

The damaging impact of this “gender ideology” on individuals and society was addressed at length this year by Pope Francis:
    I ask myself, if the so-called gender theory is not… an expression of frustration and resignation, which seeks to cancel out sexual difference because it no longer knows how to confront it. Yes, we risk taking a step backwards. The removal of difference in fact creates a problem, not a solution. In order to resolve the problems in their relationships, men and women need to speak to one another more, listen to each other more, get to know one another better, love one another more. They must treat each other with respect and cooperate in friendship.

• CharlesW
    I wonder though if anyone will dare comment on the quality of the musical underscoring!

You did ask, remember that. It sounds a bit 700 Club-ish, or EWTN-ish, since they often seem to me more alike than different in format and presentation.

If the weight of all societal problems is being placed on a definition of masculinity, then we have a problem. It seems to me we would first need to get those real men as bishops and priests. In many places, we have had anything but. Our leaders have been so busy chasing false gods, many of them haven't done much of a job of teaching the faith or being "fathers." If those who lead, both clerical and lay, are goofy attention and approval seekers, then the faith in practice will be quite shallow. I would submit that folks often don't practice their faith because they haven't really been taught it. In other words, most Catholics wouldn't know the faith if it bit them on the arse.

The video mentions problems in the family. All of that can not be laid on the shoulders of men, since women are just as flawed and capable of weakness. Again, it seems to me, that family is not seen as an ideal but all too often is seen as a barrier to individual fulfillment and achievement. Some would argue that government programs and policies have helped destabilize the family. Perhaps so, but I think that destabilization has been helped along by church, state, and the educational system. However, I don't want to get into politics on this because it would create a never-ending debate.

Did anyone mention that little boys are sometimes raised as if they were little girls? Having been in teaching for years, I have certainly seen that. Any wonder there is gender confusion?

Off the soap box.

YMMV, as the CA sage has often said.

• The removal of difference in fact creates a problem, not a solution

What about altar girls? Some would say that allowing female altar servers has removed an important difference between boys and girls.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • johnmann
    I have no problems with altar girls (assuming there are no instituted acolytes to serve) but I do wish there was a distinctive altar girl vestment. Even radical feminists don't shop in the men's section.
  • CharlesW
    Even radical feminists don't shop in the men's section.

True enough, but having seen some of those radicals, I have trouble imagining anything they could look good in. LOL. All that gnashing of teeth must do something to their facial features, too.

I have fewer issues with altar girls in the OF. They really don't do very much, compared to EF altar servers.

• lmassery
    I thought the video was awesome! Totally speaks to me.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I am no expert but I understand Judaism has a well developed domestic ritual and liturgy. Most christians traditions lack this.
  • rich_enough
    Be the best person you can be utilizing the gifts God gave you. Your gender will naturally inform that but so will your ethnicity, environment, physical abilities, etc. The gender distinction seems unnecessary.

I'm confused.

First you say that gender is just one of the many things that inform who you are (something the video doesn't address directly but doesn't deny either), but then you say that the gender distinction is unnecessary.
  • CharlesW
    I'm confused.

Who wouldn't be? Sounds like new-church double-speak to me. We are many parts...
    It's unfortunate those parts look like Frankenstein when you put them together.

To me, it's interesting to study the differing roles of men and women throughout the long historical developments of the Hebrews and in other ancient cultures.

This!
  • johnmann
    What's there to be confused about? A difference need not necessitate a distinction. Do we need a campaign urging tall people to step up and act more like tall people? "Go forth and use the top shelf!"
    Thanked by 1Olivier
  • CharlesW
    I suspect most of us are not confused at all. There seems to be some confusion in the society and also among some young people. From middle-school teaching for a number of years, I saw some of that.

Tall people? A pox on their houses.
  • I'm with CharlesW, this "crisis" isn't all on the men. Women, and mothers of sons in particular, have just as much responsibility to foster healthy masculinity in their families. I have a dear aunt whose adult sons still disrespect her and take advantage of her. Their father treated my aunt like total garbage for 25 years and promptly divorced her when the boys hit high school. My cousins learned by example (although to the younger one's credit he is not nearly as bad as the older one and was the most outspoken of his disapproval of his parents' divorce). The rest of the family told my aunt for years to stand up for herself when both her husband and her sons were being total idiots to her, do more to foster respect and have consequences for disrespectful behavior, but she couldn't or wouldn't do it. The younger son works full time for General Motors now...AND STILL LIVES AT HOME because my aunt still allows it. Doesn't really help out or do chores, I wouldn't be surprised at all if my aunt still washes his clothes. He's 33. How is this helping him be a strong man??? Well anyway, that's my two cents.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • rich_enough
    Do we need a campaign urging tall people to step up and act more like tall people?

Umm, no - since being tall - unlike being a man or a woman - is not fundamental to one's relationship with God and other people. But if you watch the video (or just look around), you can see plenty of men not acting like men.

I guess I thought this was too obvious to need pointing out - hence the confusion.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • rob
    FWIW, in most of the attacks against my masculinity I am best defended by a well served, "Yes, dear."

Perhaps others might try it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think it's also important to tell young men that they can be civilized and masculine at the same time: You can be a man and still use a fish fork. You don't have to be an uber-macho a-hole to be a "real man".
  • johnmann
    @rich_enough, I see plenty of tall people not acting like tall people. They don't play basketball like they're supposed to. They aren't mentoring tall kids. They're failing in their duties as tall people.

Am I saying it's exactly analogous to gender? No. But the point is that there's no point in taking a universal message (e.g., take responsibility) and infusing it with an unnecessary divide unless the point is to play to a feeling of machoism which I strongly suspect was the point because of the music and stock footage in the video.
  • chonakchonak
    Talking openly about biological differences between men and woman can be difficult for some people, especially when those differences include factors in the mental and emotional lives of men and women. There are differences in communication styles. There are differences in empathy and "emotional intelligence". Such differences are well-established research results in the field of psychology.

To say that there are (generalized) masculine and feminine ways of acting and of responding to interactions scares some people, if they are sensitive about avoiding unjust discrimination and inaccurate stereotypes. But sometimes so-called "stereotypes" reflect a reality. When there are real differences in behavior and motivation, we shouldn't be afraid to look at them and understand one another better.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • If there is a crisis in authentic masculinity, I hope the Church can start to offer more discussion and assistance in regards to a crisis in femininity as well. One does not happen without the other.

Respectfully submitted opinion, as the post is directed to the men of the board. :)
  • CharlesW
    If there is a crisis in authentic masculinity, I hope the Church can start to offer more discussion and assistance in regards to a crisis in femininity as well. One does not happen without the other.

It seems to me there is a crisis in both. I think you are right.
  • And another thing- great video in my opinion.
    Many of the exhortations and thoughts about sacrifice could be said to women as well. But that doesn't negate that men need to hear the message, and need other men to help them.

Where it is specific to men is the need to be fathers and leaders of the family. So very true and so very beautiful.

Bishop Olmstead gives a great comment about the isolation in our society today.

I really loved how the video makes a plan for strong manhood, strong fatherhood, and without blaming or putting down women in any way, as can often be a temptation. Bravo.

Men, we women need you to be strong Christians and appreciate all your efforts!!
    Thanked by 1Kathy