Favorite Xmas Propers?
  • Kathy
    With so many chants to choose from, I suppose I still like the Dominus Dixit introit the best, for the melody's annunciatory power and for the transcendent text. For the beginning moment of Christmas day, we go to the beginning before time, the Word's birth in the bosom of the Father.
  • MatthewRoth
    That and the Introit of the Mass during the day both make me happy like a child on, er, Christmas.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I suspect that I have company in having a special esteem for In spendoribus.sanctorum. Certainly, this echos the profundity of Dominus dixit and signals the plenitude of sanctity of this Child, begotten in a virgin's womb by the Holy of holies Himself. God was the Father who put him there. The parallel with Dominus dixit is theologically adroit.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • kevinfkevinf
    I love them all but I really love In Splendoribus. My girls sang it this year and for some reason their voices gave it a special power. I think they even knew it themselves as a calm came over them as they sang it. I was exhausted and yet renewed...

The power of the propers, once again......
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • BenBen
    Dominus dixit is my favorite by far. Puer natus is also quite nice too.

And Kevin, I can imagine In Splendoribus being lovely with female voices. I hope you used verses to extend!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • rogue63
    Pue natus, hands down. Viderunt omnes a close second, though.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • kevinfkevinf
    These conversations really give me hope and remind me that the ground of American Catholic music has really changed since I entered it in 1984. At that time, talking about propers would have been unheard of and one doing it even less.

I know..there are not that many, but little by little.
  • Yep, Dominus dixit.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Tolle puerum -- today's Communion antiphon.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Puer natus est nobis, Dixit Dominus, et Lux fulgebit