Heavenly Straw -
  • A Merry Christmas to All -

If none other than the Angelic Doctor should have had it revealed to him that all his work was as straw, what does that say about everyone else? (But, be not discouraged: the best of straw cradled him whose birth we celebrate this day - so take heart and make more straw.)

Actually this thread's theme is what choral works would you nominate for the music of heaven? I have just stumbled over a youtube recording of Tallis' Spem made by a choir of over 700 in Manchester, England, the fabled land in which singing societies are a national passion. One could but think of the 'sound of many waters'. It's not exactly a 'purist's' performance, but it is thrilling just the same.

I have in the past considered the Sanctus from Mozart's Reguiem and Vaughan Williams' G-minor mass, amongh others, for this category of supernatural song, straw fit for heaven.

What would you nominate?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Slightly off topic, but Aquinas actually said his work was like chaff, which is a big difference. He was saying rather that he couldn't get at the deeper reality of God, only the external chaff, the kernel. I think it's an interesting, important distinction.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Around here we've been fretting about not stocking up on hay before the holiday, though straw has its place too I suppose (fortunately the rabbit seems to think Bermuda grass is just fine for a change).

I've been boning up on Church Slavonic for a Rachmaninoff Vigil in a couple of weeks. That makes it terribly hard for me to remember what I might have nominated a week ago!

But I have been meaning to check out a realization of Spem currently installed at Fort Mason in San Francisco.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Forty Voice Motet exhibit really seems quite interesting, Richard. As for the Rachmaninoff, which group is performing the "Vsénoshchnoye bdéniye" (All Night Vigil, a.k.a. the Vespers)? It's one of my favorite works.

But, back to Thomas Tallis. For me, the 16-18 minutes of sheer joy in his Gaude gloriosa Dei Mater is something that has always given me that glimpse of heaven that Jackson talks about. Of the video recordings that I know of, the one below is, I think, the best. Also attached is my score (PDF), for those who wish to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUaZtjB6IU
  • Let me add Guerrero's O Sacrum convivium.
  • Thanks chg, you led me to discover what musical ficta are. You a constant source of education. hat tip.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Cappella SF, Jan. 17 5:00 at Mission Dolores Basilica, SF; it will actually be the first half of the Rach. with (some of) Schnitke's Penitential Psalms and Chesnikoff & co.

Just so everyone can sleep without nightmares, we're not talking about The Straw Carol, right? As for what will be sung in the Other Place, I think (pace Francis) that Karl Barth is probably correct.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen