Minor triumphs
  • ViolaViola
    At last! We are being allowed to use the choir loft!! Did so for the first time today, and there were many comments on improved sound quality, better co-ordination with the organist, less need for mikes. The singers are delighted too, as am I.
    Has anyone else experienced a minor triumph lately?
  • Reval
    Good for you, viola (I too am a violist)! I wish we could do the same in our 1970s-era church.
  • Liam
    Congratulations!

To celebrate, you can play this minor triumph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atQFLYbzuk
  • I remember when our Dir of Music was talking about moving the cantors to the loft... it was a slow process but eventually happened, which does indeed help with coordination with the organ and better sound through the church.
  • ryandryand
    I've had attendance issues with one of my groups, and its made for more than one weekend where the music just sounded pathetic. Like 1-2 singers who were not confident in the least, guessing away at hymn tunes that everybody should know but doesn't (thanks be to the corporate publishing machine).

So, some stuff happened. This weekend they were the largest ensemble and sang with the best delivery of any of the groups.

I never have a good idea at the piano of what the choir sounds like for the congregation (temporary building, weird set-up), and will sometimes set the groups loose on a hymn a capella while I go walk around the building and adjust the soundboard if necessary. I came back to the bench last evening with a huge smile telling them all that it sounded beautiful, and "please, do this every week." (Meaning: actually show up).

It's also helpful because that is the former "LifeTeen" Mass, and includes the people most unhappy with us moving toward sacred music. When the songs are different than what they're used to and the singers are weak, its got to be especially frustrating to Those With Strong Opinions. This weekend the choir was strong and sang beautifully, and actually resembled something like what we'd hope to have in the future. The deacon who served that Mass was still talking about how great they were this afternoon.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Has anyone else experienced a minor triumph lately?
    Congratulations, indeed! One upping Liam's response (sorry, pal), here's "A minor" triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgAmsGxYYM
    Thanked by 2Liam Viola
  • ronkrisman
    Does anyone wonder that, if Bach had had such wonderful visual representations of his music, his ratio of fugues to children may have been different?
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Spriggo BruceL
  • Liam
    Consider his fecundity in both realms...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • Does anyone wonder that, if Bach had had such wonderful visual representations of his music, his ratio of fugues to children may have been different?

What a weird comment for a catholic. As if a piece of music, no matter how sublime, could ever be as beautiful as an eternal soul.
  • CharlesW
    Too bad Bach didn't have MORE children and write less. But what would AGO then have to obsess about and go off the deep end over?

• Scott_WScott_W
    I visited my old parish of St. Andrews in Roanoke, VA recently. They now have a young priest who isn't afraid of incense and a schola group is there now singing plainchant and they are in the process of adding English propers.