Off-topic remarks about names
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Bp. Barron's Advent Day 5 Reflection.
  • I find myself in complete agreement (at least with the bolded remarks) with Bishop Barron.

On another note, though, how did a priest called Barron get made a bishop in the era of "not like Renaissance princes"? One might just as soon elect a pope from the late cardinal of Manilla, Jaime Sin.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chris, you so funny. It would be interesting if the current Cardinal from the Philippines (Tagle) dons the fisherman's shoes.
  • ronkrisman
    One should never make jokes about people's names. After all, doesn't Záveský in Czech denote a "peasant" or a "hick"?
  • kenstb
    The Philippines has two cardinals doesn't it? BTW, Jaime Cardinal Sin was a great man.
  • Fr. Krisman,

I'll have to ask my in-laws. Long story.

That said, are you being obtuse? I wasn't critiquing the name of the bishop or of the Cardinal, but merely remarking that in our day of symbol over substance, of the appearance of poverty, humility and mercy, naming a bishop Barron seemed out of kilter.
  • ronkrisman
    To accommodate scripture, "Quid Quod scripsisti scripsisti."
  • Your quote from Pontius Pilate is one I like often to use. There is something satisfyingly definitive about it - as in 'no retreat'.

However, etymology aside, Garton-Zavesky doesn't at all have a 'hicky' ring to it - at least to those of us who don't know Czech. I can easily imagine it preceded by 'baron' or 'count' or some such.
  • chonakchonak
    Quod, I think.

Yes, one occasionally finds odd names among clergymen. In my old home town, one local pastor was named Fr. Savage.

And there are cases in the higher ranks too, e.g., Kasper.

• ronkrisman
    Yes, "quod." (Correction made)

Still, one should not make fun of people's names.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I had a professor named Dr. Butt who cracked jokes that he was thinking of hyphenating his name with his wife with the maiden name of White. His first daughter would be named Lily. True story.
  • Fr. Krisman,

Truly, I wasn't having sport at Bishop Barron's expense, or Cardinal Sin's. You're somehow still missing the point.

Thank you for your priesthood.

God bless,

Chris
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe it came across in a way you didn't intend.
  • Chonak,

Possible.