• There will be a new bishop consecrated next 2 February-Purification. It will take place in Houston. His diocese is the non-geographical Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter. Yes, in answer to my decades of prayer we now have an Anglican Use entity in the Catholic Church with our own bishop!

It was wonderful having our own mitred ordinary, Msgr Jeffrey Steenson, who has served exemplarily for the past three years. But he, himself, saw that we really needed someone who could do what actual bishops do, such as ordain, etc. Our bishop elect is Msgr Steven Lopes, who, as an important member of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, has been a key supporter of our cause and mission, and who has been a great respecter of those facets of the Anglican liturgical patrimony which are indisputably Catholic.

We now have over forty parishes in the US and Canada, and are growing steadily. We now have two parishes in Houston, the new one being St Margaret of Scotland in the Houston suburb of Katy.

The consecration will be attended by an international congregation and blocks of hotel rooms are being reserved. Any who wish to witness and participate in what will be an historic Catholic event are welcome. Contact Walsingham for details.
  • CharlesW
    I read about this with great joy. I hope he expands eastward to my area one of these days. I know a number of folks who would bid the current Latin Rite a less-than-fond farewell as they ran for the door if we had an Ordinariate parish.
  • CharlesW's bishop has blocked anglican-use in the diocese.
  • CharlesW
    I know. Any solution would have to come from Ordinariate expansion bypassing local chanceries.
  • ...blocked...

This bishop quite obviously doesn't love his people and doesn't want them to have beautiful things. What a curmudgeon!
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen Reval
  • Pastoral Provision, Anglican Use: these are canonical terms for past manifestations of what has become H.F. Benedict's Ordinariate. Actually, I'm seeking clarification. An ordinariate, with its own bishop, is something on a higher order than its more lowly precursors. Can the bishop of a geographical diocese legitimately forbid parishes of an ordinariate (or, for that matter, say, Melchite rite parishes) in his diocese? Logic would suggest to me that the Ordinariate represents a manifestation of the Will of the Church that such entities may exist wherever there are appropriate people and priest who wish to have them. It doesn't seem to me that such could be forbad any more than the EF, or Maronites, or the military ordinariate could be forbad. Can someone with a competent grasp of canon law or relevant rules clarify this?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    See the private message I sent to you, Jackson. It is an odd situation here.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Hmmm. I see!
  • Now, can the FSSP have its own bishop? Like was promised? Pretty please???

(Congrats, MJO.)
  • chonakchonak
    Can the bishop of a geographical diocese legitimately forbid parishes of an ordinariate (or, for that matter, say, Melchite rite parishes) in his diocese?

No; however, most Ordinariate congregations do not possess their own buildings yet, and ask to hold their Masses in conventional diocesan parishes. The local Latin-rite Ordinary would have to approve such an arrangement; if he doesn't, it adds a significant burden to the development of the Ordinariate community.
  • Pastoral Provision, Anglican Use: these are canonical terms for past manifestations of what has become H.F. Benedict's Ordinariate. Actually, I'm seeking clarification.

I believe there's an ordinariate priest working on a canon law dissertation on this topic--or something like it.

Now, can the FSSP have its own bishop? Like was promised?

Stimson, where can I learn more about this promise? I don't recall it. I do recall that before Summorum Pontificum, some traditionalists were arguing for a TLM "apostolic administration" a la Campos. That seemed to have died down after SP.
  • stulte
    I do recall that before Summorum Pontificum, some traditionalists were arguing for a TLM "apostolic administration" a la Campos. That seemed to have died down after SP.

I don't know. I still want this. For me, if there were a ecclesial structure for the TLM around these parts like the Ordinariates, I'd join in a heartbeat.
  • MatthewRoth
    Not all communities using Divine Worship: the Missal are actually in the Ordinariate. Our Lady of the Atonement in San Antonio still is a diocesan parish. But some who had come over earlier did join, like the folks in Indy and I believe in the Scranton PA area.
  • BenBen
    My fiancee's uncle is the pastor of the Scranton Ordinariate Parish, and you're correct that they came through very early in the process.
  • BruceL
    Not all communities using Divine Worship: the Missal are actually in the Ordinariate. Our Lady of the Atonement in San Antonio still is a diocesan parish. But some who had come over earlier did join, like the folks in Indy and I believe in the Scranton PA area.
    PAY NO ATTENTION TO THIS PARISH THAT IS THE WEALTHIEST IN THE DIOCESE AND HAS VOLUNTEERED TO STAY IN THE DIOCESE (purple)