Time to Say goodbye--funeral?
  • A family just asked me to sing this song, Time to say Goodbye, by Andrea Boticelli for a funeral mass. What would you say? I don't even know the song, let along italian.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Just say: "I'm sorry, but I don't know the piece, and it would take too long for the sheet music to arrive from the publisher. Also, I don't know Italian, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sing it without a lot of practice. Is there anything else you might want instead?"
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Agreeing with @Salieri. Say what he suggests. It's not really appropriate for a Mass on any occasion, anyway.
  • I don't think I could do it justice, so may I suggest .........?
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    I have no problem asking folks to substitute something else when I don't know the piece. You said you don't know it, so listen here. It sounds difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAcHt5o24M
  • francis
    Please. I am done with Divas for the rest of eternity.
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, it's a love song, but not religious, so it doesn't belong at Mass anyway. (This is a reason I would not mention unless necessary.) Here are the lyrics.

If they wanted someone to sing it at the wake, that would be fine, if the funeral home has a suitable piano and if the family is willing to pay for a "collaborative pianist" to accompany the singer.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    <advocatus diaboli>Do singers untrained to sing Italian at sight have a place as cantors in church? </advocatus diaboli>

One strategy for requests is to say you'll gladly do it for an extra fee if they supply sheet music in an appropriate key in a timely manner.
  • My job doesn't depend on it, so I'd just say 'no'. Other options:

"I can't do it justice without a 96-piece orchestra"

"I can't do it without draping myself over a handsome, unshaven, blind, Italian man"

"I don't have the dress for that song"

"That song has an A flat. I don't sing A flats."

I'm joking, of course -- couldn't help it -- but really, if you are not going to tell them that the song just is not appropriate for mass (and I understand the pressure not to say so), then I agree with the suggestion to tell them that you just 'cannot' do it. There's no reason to elaborate on the meaning of 'cannot'. If they ask why, it is easy to be evasive ("I just don't have that in me...."). They'll chalk it up to 'whatever' and think less of you, but who cares?
  • Thanks for all replies. I'm new and they put you in this situation, where the "father/the deceased" loved the song and the pressure to do it is big. And yes I could learn it, but in less than a week, both piano and singing at the same time??? I will definitely let them know it's not appropriate for mass. I had no idea until I listened to it and I was shocked.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Btw, welcome, mamaherrera. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek above, and having trouble with html.
  • Thanks!
  • PaxTecum
    I usually tell people outright that it isn't appropriate for mass, and usually they are fine with it. Lately, when planning weddings and funerals I tell people that if they have any specific requests to let me know and I'll try to work them in. I also include "Please don't feel like you must find music for all parts of the mass, that's my job. Just let me know if you know of anything specific that you might want."
  • A family just asked me to sing this song, Time to say Goodbye, by Andrea Boticelli for a funeral mass. What would you say? I don't even know the song, let along italian.

"That music does not fit the Mass, should I help you find a soloist to sing it during the calling hours?"

This does not work if the priest permits crap music at the Liturgy.
  • " I would not sing it well because I don't know Italian.... so you really wouldn't want me to sing it."
    Thanked by 1mamaherrera
  • Ali
    If you are new, people try very hard to see what they can get you to agree to. Then they will use it against you every time someone in their family or a friend has a funeral at your church (been there, done that). My advice is to put your foot down - the song is not appropriate for Mass. or better yet, that song is not allowed during the funeral Mass. They will understand and even if they don't understand, there is a 98% chance they will be polite to your face and only stew about it behind your back. Either way, you will have established that you are the authority in this situation.

For what it's worth, there are lots of ways I try to incorporate family wishes and offer them up front so that I establish good will with a grieving family from the outset. Then, when I say no to some other request, it feels like no big deal to them because I've shown myself to be helpful in other ways.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Does anyone in the congregation speak Italian? I thought this was supposed to be a vernacular Mass!
  • Incidentally, my username comes from the name of a cruise ship string quartet that would play, among other things, "Time to Say Goodbye." I was in middle school, dress up for formal dinner early, and go listen to them play before my family arrived. Formative is the word I'd use. I love the tune, but would be horrified to hear it at a funeral (especially after Donald Turkington's Requiem last week).
  • chonakchonak
    "Time to Say Goodbye": isn't that a duet? Maybe you could steal a line from Anna Russell and say: my duet singing isn't what it used to be.
  • CharlesW
    Two weeks ago, we had a funeral for a Catholic man whose family was in various stages of no longer practicing. The widow asked for "Danny Boy." I was glad the pastor told her that the funeral mass was a sacred rite of the Church, and secular music was not appropriate.
  • Jani
    Not to mention....it sounds like the family is requesting the English translation of Bocelli's Con te Partiro, which is choppy and not beautifully flowing like the Italian. Aahhhhh, Bocelli. :-)
  • I like the Bocelli/Celine Dion version of "The Prayer" better. If I have to pick cheesy pop stuff LOL